New Alloys, advice please?

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting some new alloys. Currently have 18" 7.5j ET51's. What I want to know is how crucial is the offset ?

The shop I've spoken to said that I can go from ET 40 - 52 without issues. What are your thoughts / knowledge? All the alloys I seem to like are close to ET51 but not exact

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
On a sportback I would suggest not using lower offsets than ET45 front and ET35-40 rear, this is with a 8.5" rim in mind. Lower offsets than this will poke with a 8.5" setup.

You can see pictures of my setup below and the specs in my signature:

IMG 1661

IMG 1634

Reactions: Scotty75
Why ther difference front to rear mate and should I have to change the tyres as I was hoping not to have to ? Excuse my ignorance

500 quid for 4....a bit on the cheap side....quality and what Fox Racing fitment for an Audi car? Check out the Audi alloy fitment spec sticky forum on this site.

Why ther difference front to rear mate and should I have to change the tyres as I was hoping not to have to ? Excuse my ignorance

You don't have to excuse your lack of knowledge in this field - that's why we're here mate :hi:

The difference in offsets I suggest is for pure looks, because the stance of the front axle is around 24mm wider than the rear axle from factory and I prefer the wheels to be more evenly stanced (The difference is to reduce the amount of understeer). I'm going to fit a 5mm spacer on the rears myself to move the wheels closer to the arch and a spacer makes it possible to switch the wheels around later.

There's no problem for you to use the same 18" rubber as you do now - I presume the size is 225/40? With a 8" setup I would go with either ET40 or ET42. ET40 would be very similar to the setup I have.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=40

Upload 2018 7 18 9 10 34

Upload 2018 7 18 9 10 45
Upload 2018 7 18 9 10 54

Reactions: CHEZ, Scotty75 and NevMan
Wow, a proper detailed reply there, loads of info. Your car looks wicked by the way @Lehn Love the colour, and poke is just right :hubbahubba:

Reactions: CHEZ and Scotty75
Wow, a proper detailed reply there, loads of info. Your car looks wicked by the way @Lehn Love the colour, and poke is just right :hubbahubba:

Thanks man! :hi:And I'm just happy to help because I had thousands of questions myself when I had to choose my wheels.

Reactions: CHEZ and NevMan
Just took some pictures of my front for comparison. This is 8.5x19" ET45 with 235/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,855
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 464
  • IMG_2251.jpg
    IMG_2251.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,442
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 453
Reactions: dp_motley, Scotty75 and TonkS3
@Lehn. Endanger a million mate, a very useful and informative reply. Now to some decision making......

Reactions: Lehn
If you happen to go for 8" rims, ET35 is perfectly fine with 225 width tyres. I'd like them to poke out more though. This is a FL 1.6 TDI Limo.

Photos of the setup here:
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/jAz0bnI

If you happen to go for 8" rims, ET35 is perfectly fine with 225 width tyres. I'd like them to poke out more though. This is a FL 1.6 TDI Limo.

Photos of the setup here:
Code:
https://imgur.com/a/jAz0bnI

It's very important not to mix sportback and saloon/limo/sedan offsets. The sportback can't handle as aggressive offsets.

Below is the picture from your post.
1L3K7UE

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
agree, as @billymc92 found to his and his caliper and new wheel peril. Not that it was his fault, but wheel supplier.

I had no idea that they were any different to be honest. Does saloon have wider arches, different calipers or something else?

Yes Saloon has wider arches/increased tyre coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, I'm thinking now I may go up to 8.5j 18". Like the thought of ther extra width and according to the site above its in tolerance.

Just to be sure though....

Wider rear - slightly more narrow front - gives less understeer? Also , higher ET number means the wheel sits into the arch more and lower ET number means the wheel comes further out to the arch.?

I do like the idea of the wider rear stance to be honest.

@Lehn do you mind me Singh what those wheels are on your S3, standard or not? They look good

Reactions: NevMan
Wider rear - slightly more narrow front - gives less understeer? Also , higher ET number means the wheel sits into the arch more and lower ET number means the wheel comes further out to the arch.?

Wider rear on a FWD car will give you more understeer. RS3 used to have wider wront beacuse of this, not sure about the new model. The ET things you wrote are correct.

@Lehn do you mind me Singh what those wheels are on your S3, standard or not? They look good

They are RS6 replicas. They're pretty cheap but for the price the quality is okay. The weight is good but the paint work could be better. They're called LDM091 and can only be bought from a French company called LDprestige: http://www.ldprestige.com/jantes/ldp-ldm091-85-19-5112-45-66-pol-gme (Normally I wouldn't buy such cheap wheels but they were the only I could get with S3 fitment and this style just suits the car! Yah yah it's a replica and so what :whistle2:)

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan
They are RS6 replicas. They're pretty cheap but for the price the quality is okay. The weight is good but the paint work could be better. They're called LDM091 and can only be bought from a French company called LDprestige: http://www.ldprestige.com/jantes/ldp-ldm091-85-19-5112-45-66-pol-gme (Normally I wouldn't buy such cheap wheels but they were the only I could get with S3 fitment and this style just suits the car! Yah yah it's a replica and so what :whistle2:)

Skidz in Falkirk also do rs6 rep alloys. Proper shop so can't sell knock of gear I'd imagine

They look good, just make sure you get some hub-centric rings. They are used to centre the spacing of the aftermarket wheel bore to the hub, as most aftermarket wheels are not bored to the same dimension as the OEM wheel.

Reactions: Scotty75 and NevMan
Just took some pictures of my front for comparison. This is 8.5x19" ET45 with 235/35 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3
I bet the stance got even better after you lowered your car. Does the wheel sit closer to the arc, perhaps it's totally flush now?

Evening chaps . I'm finally about to order a new set of alloys and tyres so I'm putting the feelers out to see if anyone is looking for a set of OEM Audi S line 18" wheels ET51. They will come with tyres, two are Fulda and two are Khumo. All have a good amount of tread left across the width of the tyres.

I'll be totally honest , the alloys aren't in perfect condition . There is some minor damage / scuffs on some of the alloys but overall they are in pretty good shape . Bearing in mind the real price , for a bit of effort these can be put right without to much difficulty . Close up photos to follow.

They will be available from around the second week in May. Price to be agreed. Just trying to guage interest at the minute as really can't be bothered with Flea Bay
626717309d2069b9e1f053e31b9a9abb.jpg

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk