advice on buying 2017 S4

sunshinewelly

Reaction score
there are 2 current cars available within my price range

one is a base S4 2017 22000 miles at £27000. Looks nice

there is then another which seems higher specced

"1 FORMER KEEPER, FULL AUDI SERVICE HISTORY, SERVICE+INSPECTION CARRIED OUT AT AUDI, DAYTONA GREY, MEGA FACTORY SPEC INCLUDING LIGHT & VISION PACKAGE, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK, MATRIX LED HEADLIGHTS, EXTENDED INTERIOR LED LIGHT PACK, 19" V SPOKE ALLOYS, RED CALIPERS, S SUSPENSION+DAMPING CONTROL, QUATTRO SPORTS DIFF, ELECTRIC MEMORY SEATS, CARBON ATLAS INLAYS, FLAT BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL, AUDI VIRTUAL COCKPIT, BANG & OLUFSEN SOUND, HILL HOLD ASSIST, TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION, ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRRORS, PRIVACY GLASS, REAR WINDOW BLINDS, MAGMA RED SUPER SPORT SEATS"

i am note sure what in that description is standard on the cheaper model and what is extra and if so is it actually worth the extra £5000 the buyer wants. For example i cant find a light and vision package on the audi site

advice appreciated.

The only thing in that list that is standard are the flat bottomed steering wheel basically. The magma seats were a no cost option but differ from the more standard black that people tend to buy.

The light and vision pack had various bits included like the virtual cockpit and multi-coloured LED lighting on the interior. Possibly the Matrix headlights included as well. It was a real package (I put it on mine), just no longer offered.

The cost of those options was well over £5k, so it just comes down to whether they're worth it for you. I love the Matrix LED headlights, sports diff, carbon inlays, privacy glass and driver assistance pack on my car so I'd personally be happy paying the extra to be honest.

Reactions: Jsmills and cuke2u
cheers for your help - you have been great

the dealer selling the more expensive car also has offered a very attractive deal on my current M135

Reactions: Daggerit and Spaceman_RS3
I can confirm that the light and vision pack contained the matrix headlamps the virtual cockpit and multi-coloured interior LED's, it was a very good value for money package, probably why Audi dropped it.
Once you've used the matrix there is no going back....

Reactions: Daggerit
That seems cheap for a 1 year old car. Wasn't the base spec approaching £50K new?

I was thinking the same... Doesn't bode well for when I come to sell mine!

I think that it was in the £45-46k region with no options?

I can confirm that the light and vision pack contained the matrix headlamps the virtual cockpit and multi-coloured interior LED's, it was a very good value for money package, probably why Audi dropped it.
Once you've used the matrix there is no going back....

Yeah, I love my Matrix LEDs. What a difference compared to standard high beams.

Reactions: cuke2u
I was thinking the same... Doesn't bode well for when I come to sell mine!

I think that it was in the £45-46k region with no options?

At least you have a B9 - I believe the prices on used B8s have been hit even harder. Just as well that I'll be keeping mine for a while.

At least you have a B9 - I believe the prices on used B8s have been hit even harder. Just as well that I'll be keeping mine for a while.

I feel extra sorry for you then! If the B9 has lost £15k in a year then the B8's will be worth about £10. :cry::cry:

The Avant does seem to be generally of a higher specification (and half the mileage), but still, the price difference is crazy between those two cars!

I think estates do hold value a bit better because of practicality. I’m not a fan of the alloys on the saloon they’re also 18 inch and the non flat bottom steering wheel is strange to look at after seeing so many with the flat bottom.

Reactions: Daggerit
Nice! What about stone chips down the side of the car, anything?

TX.

I can't say that I've noticed anything to be honest. Even with 12,600 miles on it, the body panels behind the wheels still look fine. The wrap appears to be undamaged so I'm happy with it.

Incidentally, my B8.5 had wheels that were slightly wider than OEM in the arches (almost as flush as my S4 now is) and behind the rear wheels looked like it had been shot blasted by the time it got to this many miles.

my concern with the higher priced model is the seller. seems to be a brand new trader - no feedback whatseoever. no website as well.

Doesn't actually have the driver assistance package because it doesn't have the ACC or the parking package either... Exhausts look odd, or disgusting, I can't tell! Haha.

Reactions: A12RNX
there are 2 current cars available within my price range

one is a base S4 2017 22000 miles at £27000. Looks nice

there is then another which seems higher specced

"1 FORMER KEEPER, FULL AUDI SERVICE HISTORY, SERVICE+INSPECTION CARRIED OUT AT AUDI, DAYTONA GREY, MEGA FACTORY SPEC INCLUDING LIGHT & VISION PACKAGE, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACK, MATRIX LED HEADLIGHTS, EXTENDED INTERIOR LED LIGHT PACK, 19" V SPOKE ALLOYS, RED CALIPERS, S SUSPENSION+DAMPING CONTROL, QUATTRO SPORTS DIFF, ELECTRIC MEMORY SEATS, CARBON ATLAS INLAYS, FLAT BOTTOM STEERING WHEEL, AUDI VIRTUAL COCKPIT, BANG & OLUFSEN SOUND, HILL HOLD ASSIST, TRAFFIC SIGN RECOGNITION, ELECTRIC FOLDING MIRRORS, PRIVACY GLASS, REAR WINDOW BLINDS, MAGMA RED SUPER SPORT SEATS"

i am note sure what in that description is standard on the cheaper model and what is extra and if so is it actually worth the extra £5000 the buyer wants. For example i cant find a light and vision package on the audi site

advice appreciated.
I assume approved used too much, quite a few from early £20k upwards. With one year old £32k - https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...0ZXIgTG9uZG9uLCBFbmdsYW5k/l|12,1,PRICE_SALE,U

£33.5k and decent spec and milaege (9700 miles) - https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...uZG9uLCBFbmdsYW5k/l|12,1,SPECIAL_OFFER_TEXT,D

Ideally looking for a B9 model.

I am not in any real rush and prices will drop as time goes on.

weird thing is my m135 price on webuyanycar has gone up a grand in the last few weeks

Last edited:
my thinking is if i am spending that much money i know i would regret not having the adaptive suspension even though i probably would not even miss it if i did not have it.

fair enough, you will know what you want, but maybe try test driving one with and without, as you may not miss it as you say.

Personally I would consider the history of a high performance car higher up my list than just the price and would look for one known to a dealership. At 22k who knows what life it has had...
If its not a too personal question how are you financing it?

Reactions: NevMan
You can get pcp finance on pre-owned as well, https://www.capitalcarfinance.co.uk/ just an illustration and not necessarily the best, but the interest rates are lower. You could also purchase on a pcp directly from audi thus getting more discount, athough their interest rates are high then just pay it off by some other means..

I don't know how they are now, but when I bought mine the rates were something like 2.8-3.2% I think for PCP... It was a good deal and made an expensive car accessible for me, which is nice. :)

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and NevMan
Personally I would consider the history of a high performance car higher up my list than just the price and would look for one known to a dealership. At 22k who knows what life it has had...
If its not a too personal question how are you financing it?
+1

An Audi finance PCP on a pre-owned is around 13.5% rising to 14.9% depending upon the car at the moment. Horrendously expensive..

Reactions: WesT-gefül
An Audi finance PCP on a pre-owned is around 13.5% rising to 14.9% depending upon the car at the moment. Horrendously expensive..
It is ridiculous, but others are the same. was planning on buying Mrs used Mini Cooper S, ended up in Brand new JCW :icon thumright:

Yes it does push a purchaser towards buying a new car instead, but I guess that's what they want as the profit is higher. However there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the PCP to get the dealers contribution, if any, then just paying off the finance, as has been stated by others. Although I would have thought the interest on the loan would eat into it.
Pays maybe to self finance through one of the PCP companies out there that have far cheaper interest rates if a PCP is what a purchaser wishes to have.

Reactions: NevMan