Buying a RS3 at Auction

Khunrichy

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new to this forum and happy to admit I’m not the most knowledgeable about cars.

I’m going to buy a new RS3 saloon on a Uk auction site in the coming weeks/months.

Does anyone have any precautionary advise on buying one at auction or second hand?

Thanks Richy

I think you need to be very open minded about buying a car from auction as you will be very limited to colour and spec. Late year/low mileage cars are few and far between and the chances are the only vehicles that end up at auction will be finance repossessions too so condition may be questionable.

Personally I would try and lock in a colour and spec and get searching on Auto Trader.

Used RS3s are starting to dry up now and as we wait for the 2019 model year to launch so I would expect prices to hold up for the time being.

you will be very limited to colour and spec. Late year/low mileage cars are few and far between and the chances are the only vehicles that end up at auction will be finance repossessions too so condition may be questionable.

Nonsense. Almost all end of lease cars go to auction and many of these will be 2-3 year leases on anything from 5-10k per year mileage limits.

Dealers buy these from auction and then sell them on as approved used cars.

Nonsense. Almost all end of lease cars go to auction and many of these will be 2-3 year leases on anything from 5-10k per year mileage limits.

The OP is after a saloon so there will be no end of term cars in the market yet - so not actually 'nonsense'

The wording of your post describes buying a car from auction, not specifically an RS3 saloon hence my response.

It's not a generalisation about auction cars at all, I actually read the original post before I replied.

There are only 19 RS3 saloons currently for sale on Auto Trader so how many do you think are sat at auction? The chances of currently finding one in auction are slim to none.

The guy has asked for some help/advice (which is what I used to think forums were for. . .) and I have tried to give some guidance based my experience. If you don't agree that's fine, go ahead and say something constructive but please don't have a go at me

Reactions: sve170, Evil Derboy, James 123 and 2 others
Buying from Auction can be very successful but for a car like an RS I would want to be very clear about it's history. Who is selling it, why? Has it been modified (Audi dealers will not generally touch modified cars).

Good luck!

Can't agree with this. Most ex-lease stock is first offered to franchised dealer groups and independents, particularly desirable vehicles such as RS3's, which are usually snapped up before reaching an auction. Auctions can be good places to buy out of warranty, run of the mill cars, but not RS models.

Reactions: dno_uk
Can't agree with this. Most ex-lease stock is first offered to franchised dealer groups and independents, particularly desirable vehicles such as RS3's, which are usually snapped up before reaching an auction. Auctions can be good places to buy out of warranty, run of the mill cars, but not RS models.

What's you personal experience to back this statement up? I've had a Maserati Ghibli and BMW M3. At end of lease both went to a central auctions. One BCA and one Mannheim. I've also had a Scirocco that went to BCA auction in Newcastle and ended up as an approved used car at VW in Edinburgh. Also had a Mk2 TT when they first came out. At two years old that also went to BCA Newcastle.

So I can only go with my own experience but four lease cars all going to auction before hitting dealers and two of them being fairly exotic, cant be coincidence, surely?

I used to buy, then use for 6 months and re-sell cars I bought from auctions. I have bought several performance Audi's that way before opting to go for new cars from dealers more recently. Rule of thumb was to seek cars that are low mileage and still have Audi warranty cover, although you will have no idea if it has been remapped and may actually TD1 and void warranty anyway - it's the risk you take for the price you pay.
During my time perusing the many cars going through the BCA auction sites I became friendly with regular faces at each auction day, these 'regular guys' were buying for main dealer stock. I have seen them purchase nearly new RS4'S and RS6's at auction and around 7 days later the same cars have appeared on Audi used car stock.

Reactions: NevMan, Evil Derboy and T-800
As all above have said not often an Rs3 Saloon comes up at auction but if you can get along to the place b4 it goes under the hammer i are sure you can check out the body work for urself and if you ask the Auction if you can plug in a vcd's cable to check certain things this they may allow a tip i got from a member on here and it worked for me in fact i got a few hundred pounds taken off for some faults that showed up .
Guess checking all the paperwork is agood thing to do too

It's not a generalisation about auction cars at all, I actually read the original post before I replied.

There are only 19 RS3 saloons currently for sale on Auto Trader so how many do you think are sat at auction? The chances of currently finding one in auction are slim to none.

The guy has asked for some help/advice (which is what I used to think forums were for. . .) and I have tried to give some guidance based my experience. If you don't agree that's fine, go ahead and say something constructive but please don't have a go at me

Sorry. I didn't mean to have a go at you, but forums are full of folk who dish up conclusions as "facts"... My own experience and those of others such as @Beebee-one show that it is perfectly feasible that unmolested performance cars can be had at auction without necessarily being finance repossessions or knackered cars. The OP has already decided to buy one at auction. He wasn't asking whether he should, but rather what he should look out for in terms of checking the car over. Only @RGBARGEE and @ch1z64 have actually answered the question so far...

What's you personal experience to back this statement up? I've had a Maserati Ghibli and BMW M3. At end of lease both went to a central auctions. One BCA and one Mannheim. I've also had a Scirocco that went to BCA auction in Newcastle and ended up as an approved used car at VW in Edinburgh. Also had a Mk2 TT when they first came out. At two years old that also went to BCA Newcastle.

So I can only go with my own experience but four lease cars all going to auction before hitting dealers and two of them being fairly exotic, cant be coincidence, surely?

I supply to the motor trade and have friends and colleagues that work in this field. It is a subject that comes up a lot in conversations and most recently with the Buying Manager of a large main dealer group, who purchased my RS6 from me last year.

Dealers will pay reasonable money for:

1. In demand stock.
2. Usually under 2 years old but up to 3 for selected higher end models. Independent garages will take older stock
3. Excellent original condition. They don't like panel repairs. Independent garages are not as fussy.
4. Original and unmodified.
5. Sound history including service.

I went to collect a low mileage 3 year old 335D Xdrive blind from a known independent last year only to discover that the front and rear had been poorly repaired - orange peel, barely any lacquer. They got it from an auction. They refunded my deposit and I drove home disappointed.

I am sure that many cars slip through the net and some lease companies are lazy and cars end up straight to auction but from what I have been told in the trade - models that are in demand (i.e. customers are paying good money for) seldom end up at auction unless they fail on points 2,3 or 4.

The person that took my RS6 also pointed out that unlike with BMW M cars, there aren't many deals to be had on leases with RS models. Most end up on PCP and come back through the dealer network and either put back on the forecourt or offered to independent garages they have relationships with. The point being that in many cases, any RS that ends up at auction is likely there because it has failed on one or more criteria with regards to condition or history.

My partner purchased a 40 month old 23k mile 2.0 TDI A4 from an independent in Croydon last year. It was an ex business lease, dealer supplied car that sat on the forecourt for 3 month unsold so it was offered to them.

Reactions: Evil Derboy and dno_uk
Sorry. I didn't mean to have a go at you, but forums are full of folk who dish up conclusions as "facts"... My own experience and those of others such as @Beebee-one show that it is perfectly feasible that unmolested performance cars can be had at auction without necessarily being finance repossessions or knackered cars. The OP has already decided to buy one at auction. He wasn't asking whether he should, but rather what he should look out for in terms of checking the car over. Only @RGBARGEE and @ch1z64 have actually answered the question so far...

Like I said I am offering advice based on my experience - not 'dishing up conclusions'

If you want facts the last RS3 saloon I saw at auction was Glacier White with Lunar Silver leather and Aluminium Styling Pack (hence my first comment about being open minded about colour and spec) which may not be to everyone's taste, the car was a finance repossession and had 3 owners in the V5 on an 18 plate - so maybe not the most desirable car in the world and it wasn't particularly cheap either!

Trust me IF a genuinely desirable, big spec Audi (whatever model) makes open auction it will make big money and those opportunities are few and far between.

Absolutely right! I would be very cautious about a 3 owner 18 plate RS unless seriously cheap. I’d want to try to check how often launch control had been used too... Demo? No thanks

Reactions: NevMan
Like I said I am offering advice based on my experience - not 'dishing up conclusions'

If you want facts the last RS3 saloon I saw at auction was Glacier White with Lunar Silver leather and Aluminium Styling Pack (hence my first comment about being open minded about colour and spec) which may not be to everyone's taste, the car was a finance repossession and had 3 owners in the V5 on an 18 plate - so maybe not the most desirable car in the world and it wasn't particularly cheap either!

Trust me IF a genuinely desirable, big spec Audi (whatever model) makes open auction it will make big money and those opportunities are few and far between.

How does a car that was registered in March have 3 owners and finance repossession in 4 months!?!?

Pre reg then private keeper, repossessed by the finance company who have to apply for a V5 in their name = 3 owners

Pre reg then private keeper, repossessed by the finance company who have to apply for a V5 in their name = 3 owners

How long do you have before the take the car back? Surely not just one payment and thats it - your done....?