Auto hold adjustment

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Not sure what its called but on my manual when you pull up to a stop it will automatically hold the brake on until you pull away. My issue is that i feel it doesn't release easy enough, it feels like i need to give it to many revs to get it to release. Im not sure but i think i saw something on Carista allowing adjustment on this.
Am i correct? ta

It’s called Hold Assist. (You do have two switches/lever behind the gear lever?)
Not sure quite how it works on a manual, but i think as soon as you touch the throttle it should release, then you can go. Certainly on an auto, if you just hit the throttle it will be a bit fierce, you have to be gentle with it.
I don’t think there is any adjustment.

It’s called Hold Assist. (You do have two switches/lever behind the gear lever?)
Not sure quite how it works on a manual, but i think as soon as you touch the throttle it should release, then you can go. Certainly on an auto, if you just hit the throttle it will be a bit fierce, you have to be gentle with it.
I don’t think there is any adjustment.

Yes that’s the one, on the manual you let the clutch up and it releases, its just not as smooth as I like.

I had a little play this morning and by turning hold assist off, and applying the hand brake instead. By doing this the car pulls away nice and smoothly.

Yes, that’s an alternative. But I have found that the parking brake auto release is a bit jerkier that Hold Assist.
And of course if you do that you lose the auto hold, but it’s no great job to apply the parking brake if you come to a stop (And that takes off the brake lights as well - they stay on with HA)

I had a little play this morning and by turning hold assist off, and applying the hand brake instead. By doing this the car pulls away nice and smoothly.

There's been a few issues with this - I'm sure Carista does allow you to alter it slightly (quick, medium, slow release or something like that) - It may be that the dealer needs to reset the software though as this has happened on my friends one

I had the clutch switch replaced on my pre facelift manual S3 as it would hardly release at all

All good information guys, I’ll reregister my Carista and have a look on there. I don’t really want to do away with the feature as it’s a good idea.

Upload 2018 7 31 16 40 7
Adjusted this in Carista and it’s loads better now.

Reactions: Sparks43 and Pook
Not sure what its called but on my manual when you pull up to a stop it will automatically hold the brake on until you pull away. My issue is that i feel it doesn't release easy enough, it feels like i need to give it to many revs to get it to release. Im not sure but i think i saw something on Carista allowing adjustment on this.
Am i correct? ta

I have that on my manual. What I've found is if you lift the clutch too slowly, it won't disengage the hand brake. If in lots of stop start scenario's (as if in a city centre) where there is lots of creeping, I tend to disengage it. But generally, I think it's a great system.

I agree, it’s a great feature, and as you said in tragic it was not ideal and I would also turn it off. It was just not possible to pull away nice and smoothly, now I’ve adjusted the release it’s like the car is on the flat without any brake on. It just pulls away even in start stop traffic. If you’ve got Carista I would try it if I was you.