Gear Knob help!

DeeGee68

DeeGee68
Reaction score
Hi ALL!
Firstly, I have to apologise to all the purists on this site for what I am about to ask.... :thumbs up:

I would like to personalise my gear knob by replacing it with a custom one I bought from the USA. I wanted a one-off for my car and it is made of resin. The only problem I have is that it comes with a rubber grommet and I wanted to replace this with a metal threaded adapter.
I wanted to know if anyone has done this conversion or knows anyone who can. I am not very D.I.Y. confident and really do not want to damage it. I have seen some adapters online that have a thread so it can be screwed into the gear knob and an inner thread that can be threaded onto the gear stick but would not know what inner dimension I would need.

Thank you all in advance for any help and assistance you can share.

ATVB!

David. :icon thumright:

Hi David,

A picture of said knob may help.....:blink:

It does sound like you need the assistance of a machine shop who could drill and insert a threaded insert of some sort that would match the thread on your gear stick.

Putting your rough location may help get you some recommendations :racer:

John.

Reactions: DeeGee68
Hi David,

A picture of said knob may help.....:blink:

It does sound like you need the assistance of a machine shop who could drill and insert a threaded insert of some sort that would match the thread on your gear stick.

Putting your rough location may help get you some recommendations :racer:

John.

I am located just outside Croydon. This is a screenshot as still at work. Hopes this photo helps as you can see the rubber bung protruding from the neck.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-08-17 19.15.35.png
    Screenshot 2018-08-17 19.15.35.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 249
I am located just outside Croydon. This is a screenshot as still at work. Hopes this photo helps as you can see the rubber bung protruding from the neck.

Kind regards,

David

Christ on a bike. Each to their own but those quick gear changes on twisty B roads are gonna be a lot less fun with beelzebubs horny bits jabbing onto your palm! Not my cuppa - sorry, don’t get it. :wtf:

Reactions: Rideen
Christ on a bike. Each to their own but those quick gear changes on twisty B roads are gonna be a lot less fun with beelzebubs horny bits jabbing onto your palm! Not my cuppa - sorry, don’t get it. :wtf:

Each to their own I suppose. With the gear knob being threaded I can swap out if needs be... :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jimbob76
UPDATE!

I have removed the rubber bung from the gear knob and measured it for a replacement threaded adapter.
The measurements are as follows;

14.7mm (hole diameter in gear knob)
27.5mm )depth of hole in gear knob)

I am now looking for a threaded adapter that will allow me to araldite it in the gear knob and allow a threaded adapter to fitted to the gear stick. I believe Limebug sell adapters specifically for this. If there is anyone on here that can give help/advice on machining an adapter I would be grateful

Kind regards,

David

I am in Croydon. You could try Surrey Metalworks in Dering Road, South Croydon. They are more of a blacksmith than an engineering workshop. They make wrought iron gates etc. They've fabricated lots of stuff for me over the years. If they can't do it they will know someone who can. It's the kind of place where you turn up and discuss what you want and they say whether they can do it or not.

Or there's these guys:
http://www.lgmengineering.co.uk

I don't like your knob though but if that's what makes you happy go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeeGee68
I am in Croydon. You could try Surrey Metalworks in Dering Road, South Croydon. They are more of a blacksmith than an engineering workshop. They make wrought iron gates etc. They've fabricated lots of stuff for me over the years. If they can't do it they will know someone who can. It's the kind of place where you turn up and discuss what you want and they say whether they can do it or not.

Or there's these guys:
http://www.lgmengineering.co.uk

I don't like your knob though but if that's what makes you happy go for it.

Thanks and I will contact them :thumbs up: