Converting the OEM speaker housing to an aftermarket speaker mount (A3 8P and other models)

Genius

Reaction score
Not going to bother with how to strip the door card its covered loads of places, so....

We start with the speaker in the door, this is front left (all 4 doors are the same)

ufqtT.jpg

Literally, just the clip at the top to unclip and the three screws to get it out of the door, note the colour of the wires, solid is + the striped is - (again all the doors are same layout but different coloured wires)

Once out of the door you have this unit, the speaker is actually part of the housing

ufdQe.jpg

So to reuse this we have some breaking to do, go round with a pair of pliers and snap all the spokes carefully to snap near the outer rim and ideally don't damage the wires although if they snap no problem just easier to solder with more length

ufO2A.jpg

uf36Q.jpg

Flip over and cut around the foam so you can drop the old speaker out

ufaSf.jpg

uf5QX.jpg

Solder (or crimp) in your spade connectors, making a note of which is + or - on this view left is +

ufB3p.jpg

Test fit:

ulZ9s.jpg

Drill 4 pilot holes for the self-tapping screws that will hold your speakers into the enclosure, obviously make sure you don't put one of the holes through the connector block, I say obviously but I very nearly did

ulE6h.jpg

All back together now fit in your car

Reactions: dp_motley and maxpayne
Good walk through mate thanks for posting it up, the adapters I have do look like the correct ones seeing the pics.

I will do the same as you though, at the moment I just have the failing farting sound but only when music is up very high on front right speaker.

Im impressed with the stock system as it is, let me know what the sound difference is like.

Sound was fine at low volumes actually OK at all volumes with the standard symphony head unit... But after I swapped to a more powerful system I really noticed the failings in the speakers.

Massive difference from the first time I turned the key with these in (and I only picked cheap components) everything is that bit clearer and bass actually has a bit of punch to it, was planning on upgrading the stock sub in the boot but not going to bother now I'm more than happy with the bass from these, just need to tweak the EQ a bit to get it perfect but that's a job for the weekend

Sounds good, I was wondering if I had a stock sub in the boot but I doubt it, mines a 1.4 tfsi s line. Ill have a look later but again I dont think I have.

Edit: just ran out to check, ha! there is one. I did think the bass was impressive for just 4 speakers alone.

What can you upgrade them to? or can you just do the same modification as you have but with a small woofer sub added in.

Think you probably will if its s line it means it was specced with a decent level of kit from new, the sub is hidden under the carpet so you won't notice it straight away.

Kinda irrelevant now anyway, the door speakers on mine now produce considerably more bass than the boot sub ever did

Thanks for the write up! I was thinking of this upgrade since I read your post the very first time and I'm almost ready for this mod (though I doubt I can find time due a few projects in progress.)
Did you figure out how to fit the twitters yet?