3.0 TDI V6 engine bay clean

Andy-1878

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Want to clean the engine bay of my 2016 3.0TDI quattro. Got the Autoglym engine cleaner but wanted to know if anyone else has done this and what bits do I need to protect from water etc? It's the only part of my car I'm yet to clean and so it's bugging me but want to ensure I don't do any damage at the same time. Have seen videos where people jet spray which I don't feel confident doing but also want to rinse thoroughly and not leave any residue from the cleaner.

Thanks in advance!

I'd prefer to avoid using a jet spray but think I need to rinse with running water to do the best job. There's an autoglym video where they use a hose to rinse which I'd be happier with. Just need to know what I need to protect from water before tackling it.

I would avoid jet spraying at all costs.

Instead get some APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and some brushes and work you way around the bay, it may take a while but the results are worth the effort.

once clean finish up with some G303 Aerospace protectant and the plastic, done.

ENG B4 50
ENG 50
Br 50
Bvg 50

Always helpful to see photos as well. Did you rinse with a hose or pour clean water over?

I just got a damp microfibre cloth and worked it around where I had used the APC, then dried it off with a separate cloth.

The whole engine took about 1 1/2 hours.

I just got a damp microfibre cloth and worked it around where I had used the APC, then dried it off with a separate cloth.

The whole engine took about 1 1/2 hours.

That's fine by me, I'd rather take a few hours and do a good job and not damage anything. Looks really good the way you did it so I'm happy to do it without running water involved :grinning:

Reactions: daytonamart
I think the garages use a steam cleaning approach but don't know much about it myself