Funny / not so funny story

JJ_2018

Reaction score
Ok so I’m opening myself up here to a lot of criticism so play nice!

I picked up my brand new A3 saloon and drove it home, I’d had the car for about an hour and when I got home started to reverse park it on my narrow drive.

I took the usual tight angle and made sure not to scrape the side and then decided to straitened up for the big reverse.

This is where the drama unfolds....I drove the car forward close to the stone wall in front, selected reverse but to my horror when I released the clutch and applied the accelerator the car moved forward! I instantly pressed the brakes and assumed I had selected 1st instead. So I checked the gear and when for another go...same thing!!!

The car is now millimetres away from the stone wall and I mean literally you could maybe get a finger in there at a push (that’s what she said).

Having cold sweats at this point and decided to run around to all the local houses for help, as it’s a Monday afternoon no one is in and after about 10 min I find two people one old man in his 70s and another builder type. After the initial shock they managed to catc the car when I released the brake and push it a meter back (very very lucky to catch it before it even rolled a bit).

I then managed to drive my out to check I can select reverse properly. I have no idea what went wrong and now feel like a little damsel in distress as I pride myself on my ability to manoeuvre :/

Ok...take your shots

On a serious note - what actually went wrong as I was positive I was in reverse in both occasions.

I have both front and rear and at that point both were making all kinds of sounds.

I have both front and rear and at that point both were making all kinds of sounds.

Ok although the new A3's - parking sensors at the front come on when you get close to something automatically now - To test make sure the sensors are switched off on the dash and then engage reverse - you should hear a beep and the sensors turn on + the display should come up

Reactions: Stephen Payne and JJ_2018
Thank you! I will be driving I g that today. So just turn off sensors and then put it in reverse and hopefully the reverse should lock back in and the screen will pop up?

I'm assuming it's a manual car?

Is your driveway on a slope? Sounds like it was rolling between you releasing the brake and lifting the clutch. Do you have hill hold? Would stop rolling in an instant.

If it's DSG, take it to Audi, as it may be a fault.

It’s manual you are correct. I think I do have hold hold assist I will check it’s engaged than you! From memory is it the button marked A next to the P button for park?

Thank you! I will be driving I g that today. So just turn off sensors and then put it in reverse and hopefully the reverse should lock back in and the screen will pop up?

Yes just want to make sure they are not on as if you are close to something at the front they may turn on - The parking sensor button on the dash next to the start/stop isn't lit up and the screen doesn't show the reversing path (I'm assuming you don't have the camera) - Then when you engage reverse you should hear a beep, the button should light up and the screen on the right hand side will show your reversing path

It’s manual you are correct. I think I do have hold hold assist I will check it’s engaged than you! From memory is it the button marked A next to the P button for park?
Yes, your car has hill hold.
wab172uk may have the answer - hill hold only works when you have the drivers seat belt latched (and drivers door closed IIRC) It took me a while to get used to the quirks of the system.
JS

Yes, your car has hill hold.
wab172uk may have the answer - hill hold only works when you have the drivers seat belt latched (and drivers door closed IIRC) It took me a while to get used to the quirks of the system.
JS

You don't need the seatbelt on anymore - if hill hold is on and you open the door it will switch to full handbrake

I have hill hold assist, On mine (built July '17) you don't need to have the seat belt on for it too engage. As above full handbrake engages if you open the door.
One thing though, if you catch the button you can disable it without realising it until it starts to roll away... done that eek !

Went for a drive today and tried it out, seems to be working ok. Even on some sharp hills. Touch wood the issue should be sorted and mainly driver related.

Cheers for the response guys!