A3/s3 sportback boot

AlS3BE

Reaction score
hi guys/gals,

Looking for a guide, diagrams or something similar in how to remove the boot trims down the side so I don’t ham fist it and break all the plastic clips and stuff creating rattles and vibrations.
I’m looking to fit a front and rear dash cam and want to do the wiring as neatly as possible.
I’ve had a peek down the right side where the jack and tools are and there’s plenty of space to put modules and cables.
Another quick question is where to tap for power? There’s a ciggy lighter on the right but I think it’s switch live not permanent live.
Any help appreciated

Which cameras are you installing?
Still trying to decide. Although the Audi utr is attractive as I understand it comes with wiring kits etc to make install easier.
Had a close call with an idiot on the road the other day and thought it’s time for a dash cam. Not sure if it’s the ara blue paintwork but the s3 seems to attract idiots on the road they all want to just cut right in front of me or jump out of roundabouts when I’m going round. Didn’t have this with my white A6.

Still trying to decide. Although the Audi utr is attractive as I understand it comes with wiring kits etc to make install easier.
Had a close call with an idiot on the road the other day and thought it’s time for a dash cam. Not sure if it’s the ara blue paintwork but the s3 seems to attract idiots on the road they all want to just cut right in front of me or jump out of roundabouts when I’m going round. Didn’t have this with my white A6.

I’m also considering the front/rear Audi UTR and wondering whether I can DIY install. Just like you I don’t want to break trim clips and want a clean install. Yes there is a model specific wiring loom but what I really need is an installation manual.

I used to do big stereo installs in my old cars so happy ripping interiors apart and laying cables etc but modern cars and Audi part prices makes this a bit more concerning. Somethjng stupid like breaking a plastic clip on the boot will probably mean new part at £300 and being a new car I will more than likely fit a new part to rectify it. Don’t want a £3-400 dashcam setup end up costing me £800 in plastic panels and clips that I break.

Exactly my thoughts. I’ve had headlinings out before for new aerials and lots of trim removed but my S3 is too pristine for silly mistakes that cost a fortune to rectify.

Just installed my Thinkware F750 that I took out of my A6 and placed the front and rear camera in the 2018 A3. I hard wired this into the nearside fuse box (can't remember which fuses but can look later if needs be).

Wires to rear run up front passenger door door along top and across rear door, rear quarter and to centre of car rear screen. I managed to conceal all the wires by peeling down rubber door trims and pushing underneath trim without removing any headlinings etc. Only wires visible are where they come out of headlining to attach to cameras. With mine being a sportback - I have had to dangle a small length of wire down to allow hatch to fully open which isn't perfect.

Martin

Does the front and back camera need to be connected together?
I would have though they will be almost standalone units or communicates wirelessly with each other. I would hope in this day and age other than power these things shouldn’t need any other cables.

not be long before they are wi-fi wireless apart from the power.. pretty sure theres a plate holder with built in wireless camera

Mine are connected (2 year old unit)- the front unit does all the recording - rear camera connects for both power and recording through a micros usb via the one cable

Guys, as interesting as the Audi offering is its no better than a Halfords Nextbase camera in terms of features and way over priced for what it is. While the UTR and Nextbase cameras do what they say on the box, and ANY camera is better than no camera, please check out the Thinkware F7770, F800 and F800pro as well as the Blackvue offerings. Personally I believe the Thinkware's to be the best cameras on the market as a "set and forget" solution. Blackvue's win hands down for recording quality, up to 4K, and cloud connectivity but are known to interfere with dab and require external box's or batteries for parking modes.

Installation of these cameras is straight forward as long as you have some electrical knowledge and good tools however experience is always king. I install these systems on a daily basis so can knock them out in no time, insurance safe and with zero damage... I even keep spare trim clips and rubbers etc in stock just incase.

For those who are thinking to complete a self installation you will need a good set of trim tools, including metal ones, a selection of wires and crimps + tool, glass cleaner and microfibre cloth, wire snake, electrical tape, tesa tape, fuses and Audi fuse box terminal connectors.

While a Saloon's cable run is pretty straight forward the 3DR and Sportback models can be more challenging as you will need remove the boot trim in order to do the job correctly and gain access to the cable runs. The large trim section (blue) on the tail gate overlaps the trim surrounding the rear window (red) so needs to be removed first. Once off you can release the window trim and run your cables / secure the rear camera. Passing the cable through the rubber grommet and guides can be a challenge. The front of the car is also straight forward but you need to make sure that you run your cables behind and away from any airbags. The main earthing point for a camera installation should be the passenger footwell grounding point, don't cheat / be lazy and use a bolt next to the fuse box :)

IMG 9441

*this image was actually from a FL real lights OEM installation

Below are examples of installation points and results:

IMG 8226 IMG 8256 IMG 8257 IMG 8241 IMG 8236

Reactions: Pook and AlS3BE
Guys, as interesting as the Audi offering is its no better than a Halfords Nextbase camera in terms of features and way over priced for what it is. While the UTR and Nextbase cameras do what they say on the box, and ANY camera is better than no camera, please check out the Thinkware F7770, F800 and F800pro as well as the Blackvue offerings. Personally I believe the Thinkware's to be the best cameras on the market as a "set and forget" solution. Blackvue's win hands down for recording quality, up to 4K, and cloud connectivity but are known to interfere with dab and require external box's or batteries for parking modes.

Installation of these cameras is straight forward as long as you have some electrical knowledge and good tools however experience is always king. I install these systems on a daily basis so can knock them out in no time, insurance safe and with zero damage... I even keep spare trim clips and rubbers etc in stock just incase.

For those who are thinking to complete a self installation you will need a good set of trim tools, including metal ones, a selection of wires and crimps + tool, glass cleaner and microfibre cloth, wire snake, electrical tape, tesa tape, fuses and Audi fuse box terminal connectors.

While a Saloon's cable run is pretty straight forward the 3DR and Sportback models can be more challenging as you will need remove the boot trim in order to do the job correctly and gain access to the cable runs. The large trim section (blue) on the tail gate overlaps the trim surrounding the rear window (red) so needs to be removed first. Once off you can release the window trim and run your cables / secure the rear camera. Passing the cable through the rubber grommet and guides can be a challenge. The front of the car is also straight forward but you need to make sure that you run your cables behind and away from any airbags. The main earthing point for a camera installation should be the passenger footwell grounding point, don't cheat / be lazy and use a bolt next to the fuse box :)

View attachment 163378

View attachment 163382 View attachment 163379 View attachment 163383 View attachment 163381 View attachment 163380

Great thank you DJAlix

View attachment 163378

View attachment 163382 View attachment 163379 View attachment 163383 View attachment 163381 View attachment 163380

Are you sure I can’t convince you to come to sunny Scotland for a day to do my retrofits ;-)

Are you sure I can’t convince you to come to sunny Scotland for a day to do my retrofits ;-)
If enough members want works doing within the area then am sure something can be arranged :)

Reactions: AlS3BE and Pook
If enough members want works doing within the area then am sure something can be arranged :)

Sounds like a plan. Let me start a new thread and see if there’s enough interest.
Since you swinging by qst slip a m-cantronic box in your pocket for me.

Reactions: Pook
I had 3 do the same today on the way back from Norwich to then drive slow, soon overtook them. Must be an Ara blue thing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I had 3 do the same today on the way back from Norwich to then drive slow, soon overtook them. Must be an Ara blue thing

It’s like moth to a flame...

Reactions: Adam14
It’s like moth to a flame...
I think they're just keen to "overtake the S3". Anyone can overtake if breaking the speed limit lol. Just cause it takes you 10 seconds to hit 50mph

Reactions: AlS3BE
Hi guys , just stumbled upon this thread. @DJAlix fitted a Thinkware Front and rear to my Rs Saloon . Works perfectly I occasionally reformat the card but otherwise forget it is even there . When installed it’s hardly noticeable , playback quality is good so I echo his recommendation. As for fitting I could have tackled myself as I’m sure many can , but experience is key with trim removal , happy to pay for peace of mind and can recommend @DJAlix for this. None of install or install wiring is noticeable post fitting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE and DJAlix