Cruise Control - Speed Limiter function

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but could someone pls explain what the LIM button (Speed Limiter) on the Cruise Control lever does? I've read p122 in the manual but can't get my head around what the LIM button does. I mean surely the cruise control already limits your speed so not sure what extra function the LIM button brings?

Cheers

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Cruise control doesn’t limit your speed, it just maintains a set speed without you having to push the throttle. The speed limiter stops you from going past a set speed when you’re pressing the throttle yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and psychopomp1
Cruise control doesn’t limit your speed, it just maintains a set speed without you having to push the throttle. The speed limiter stops you from going past a set speed when you’re pressing the throttle yourself.

So the Speed Limiter function is a separate function to the Cruise Control? For example if I'm driving on the motorway where the speed limit is 70 mph, and I set the LIM at 70 mph, then no matter how hard I press the accelerator, the car won't go past 70 mph, is that correct?

So the Speed Limiter function is a separate function to the Cruise Control? For example if I'm driving on the motorway where the speed limit is 70 mph, and I set the LIM at 70 mph, then no matter how hard I press the accelerator, the car won't go past 70 mph, is that correct?

That’s correct. With the slight caveat being that there’s a little ‘switch’ at the bottom of the throttle travel that will override the limiter. But under normal throttle use it won’t let you go past the speed you’ve set.

Reactions: Zocko, Terminator x, rasA4 and 4 others
That’s correct. With the slight caveat being that there’s a little ‘switch’ at the bottom of the throttle travel that will override the limiter. But under normal throttle use it won’t let you go past the speed you’ve set.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the last part of the throttle travel allows one to go faster than the speed set on the limiter, should not your answer to 'pschopomp1' be no?
To me, if one can't over-ride the speed limiter to, say, floor the throttle to avoid a situation, that seems extremely dangerous? But there again 'pre-sense'
has the tendency to brake at absurdly dangerous times (...and no, there isn't any software update available in Aust.). That is Audi consistency???

At least with Audi cruise control, it is vigilant at maintaining the pre-set speed downhill, which great in radar territory. Some manufacturers do let their cruise control gain enough speed downhill to cause a donation to the Policeman's Ball.

I've found you can override the speed limiter temporarily by REALLY giving the accelerator the beans. So useful for overtaking etc.

This is also mentioned on p125 of the B9 manual:

image hosts

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the last part of the throttle travel allows one to go faster than the speed set on the limiter, should not your answer to 'pschopomp1' be no?
To me, if one can't over-ride the speed limiter to, say, floor the throttle to avoid a situation, that seems extremely dangerous? But there again 'pre-sense'
has the tendency to brake at absurdly dangerous times (...and no, there isn't any software update available in Aust.). That is Audi consistency???

At least with Audi cruise control, it is vigilant at maintaining the pre-set speed downhill, which great in radar territory. Some manufacturers do let their cruise control gain enough speed downhill to cause a donation to the Policeman's Ball.

It does let you go past the limiter but there’s a physical click as you do it so it’s not the last 10% of the travel or something. It’s essentially past 100% and you have to make an effort to do it.

Or you could just turn it off, surely?
Plus the presense on my car only engages when needed...

Or you could just turn it off, surely?

You could, but I think it’s potentially more for overtakes or to accelerate to avoid issues while the system is on. As in, if you don’t have time to switch it off.

Usually depends on the type of cruise control in the car. Basic cruise control only has the ability to use the engine to brake so is pretty limited in it's ability to show the car. Adaptive cruise control also varies between manufactures, my previous car would brake on hills to prevent going over but didn't have the distance tracking like the Audi does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Usually depends on the type of cruise control in the car. Basic cruise control only has the ability to use the engine to brake so is pretty limited in it's ability to show the car. Adaptive cruise control also varies between manufactures, my previous car would brake on hills to prevent going over but didn't have the distance tracking like the Audi does.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My adaptive will brake and keep the speed down a hill. Or you can set it to have a little leeway so it doesn’t just ride the brakes all the way down the hill.

Well, we sincerely wish ours would do that too. Except, even on the shortest setting, it engages by far more times when it is not needed, and is dangerous. Just waiting for the 'Liberace'

On my car it's triggered the belt tensioning when I was parked up and a car sped past...

Yes it is, if you follow the quotes it goes back to your post about presense...