3 month old car and smoke damage

luke1980

Reaction score
Advice please.

Back in May i purchased An Audi A3 S-Line Black Edition 18 plate with Comfort and Sound package and Panoramic Sun roof. Daytona Grey Pearl. The car was to become available in 3 months as employee of Synter had it. So I only saw the specification and picture and stock video on their website. Waiting 3 months was fine for me but allowed me to continue to use my car before part exchanging it.

Scrolling forward to July 9th. The car was over a week or so late coming back in as they couldn't get hold of the employee. I did pop into the dealership on my way to London , where i first saw the outside of the car but it was parked in a compound and it's was a hot sunny July day and would of been difficult to get into the car which would of been like an over. I eventually got it around 2 weeks later than planned. I picked the car up on a Friday evening , done all the necessary paperwork and drove it back to Swindon where I live.

Over the next day or so i noticed that the smell inside was unusually over powering. There was some other trim repairs that needed correcting which i did not see before collection. I then asked a friend about the smell who sat in the car and she said someone has been smoking in here. The smell become really over powering in the hot weather.

I contacted the dealership on the Tuesday and he then divulged the previous occupant who works for Car Shop has in fact been smoking in the car and has tried to cover it up.and said give me a few days and he would be back in touch. Friday came and I never heard back. So I rang them to arrange returning the car for them to sort.

They picked the car up and left me with an A6. Due to the inconvenience i asked them to apply the paint protection for free. They had the car for 2 weeks and it took a few conversations with Audi UK Customer service to get the paint protection applied.

I got the car back on Monday 20th August and there is still a smell in the car. The sales guy said it would be the AutoGlym protection, but it's not, it is the same smell as before. Stale Cigarettes. They have told me it's had a full valet and a Trafagar Air Bomb used (Cannot find this brand on google) I had a few people sit in the car and it's not nice, the smell is ingrained in the roof liner etc.. On Friday i had quite a defensive email from them, but today I have decided to reject the car as i do not believe the smell will ever got. I have emailed the dealer this morning. So now waiting for the next step in the process.

I love the car and wish i didn't have to return it , but each time i step into the car , the smell hits me. And having commited to spending a huge amount of money i am not prepared to keep it. Ideally I would like the same specification car, same colour , just not one that has been smoked in.

Sorry quite a ramble, but i wondered if anyone else has been in similar situation ?

Reactions: KenL
If it's a work car, isn't it illegal to smoke in it? Pretty sure it's classed as a place of work, so it would be fair for you to assume the car would be free of smoke smells.

FWIW, my previous car had obviously been smoked in (also a dealer car) and the smell never went. Day to day it was ok, but if left in the sun... :(

Good luck with the rejection. I feel you might have a battle ahead of you.

Don't think this would be considered a work place. Chap at work's son works for Audi, both he and his son have a car through their scheme, and it's a personal lease scheme. 6 months no more than 5000 miles.

The body shop guy will probably be in a heap of shot over this, although this doesn't help you at the moment.

I think 5 years ago you might have had a hell of a fight on your hands, but this day and age given the current view on smoking generally being considered unacceptable, you need to stick to your guns, you have them a chance to rectify the issue and they have failed to do so.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: luke1980
Smoke is the most difficult smell to get rid of in a car. The most effective is either use coal or onions and leave it the car for a couple of days. They both have properties that absorbs/neutralise smells. If this doesn’t work it’s a new interior. No amount of shampooing or cleaning is gonna get it out. The smoke from cigarettes is like an oil and gets everywhere and sticks to everything.
Sounds like the guy who had it before was a heavy smoker and didn’t like opening the windows when he did it.
As far as I know all dealership cars that staff uses should not have been smoked in as stated above it’s illegal and it’s very difficult to sell a stinking car.
Good luck rejecting the car. It’s a painful process but it will be worth it as you don’t want to be paying for something expensive and not enjoy it.

I thought that these demo/staff cars were strictly no smoking.
I definitely think that you are justified in asking for your money back.
As you do need a car you coukd ask for a direct swap - that might be a bit more palatable for them.

I definitely think that you are justified in asking for your money back.
As you do need a car you coukd ask for a direct swap - that might be a bit more palatable for them.

Indeed yes I love the car, colour , spec etc just not smelling of a discarded ashtray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trouble with smokers is that they just don’t understand how disgusting non-smokers find the smell.

Reactions: SamR92, Pook and KenL
Indeed yes I love the car, colour , spec etc just not smelling of a discarded ashtray

Reject and stick to your guns . That’s unacceptable. If they were smoking in a car that was going to be put up for sale you can only
Imagine how it was treated in other respects. Good luck in sorting.

Reactions: KenL and luke1980

Unfortunately not, theres cig burns in the carpet of my S3 and it was only 5 months old when I bought it. I never noticed it when I picked up the car. Luckily the smell wasnt there. The OP has been very unlucky

Just another thought , pollen / cabin filter and air con is probably trapping some residual . Presume they cleaned these changed filter etc. Must have been puffing away like Dot Cotton to be that bad .

Reject the car and refuse to be fobbed off. I would not be paying for a car like that.

As others have said, stick to your guns. Buying a car like that you don't want that smell, you gave them a chance to fix it and they haven't. I was under the impression they weren't to be smoked in as well, at least that's the case with my local Audi. It's not their car so they shouldn't be smoking in it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If a company car it’s against the law to smoke in them. Definitely reject the car, terrible service from Audi there.

Well i emailed them Monday. (4 people) the Dealer Principle and Head of Business replied back with Out Of Messages but I still haven't had any acknowledgement yet.

Also driving to London last night and the Tyres pressure light has come on for the 3rd time since having the car. Most annoying!

As already mentioned - - - Pollen filter
Mate had a ford (apologies) with overpowering stench of wet dog (seriously overpowering) and master technician identified the source immediately as pollen filter,, new filter, air bomb, sorted..get AUK on the case with it although surprised if they haven't already done that

Well i emailed them Monday. (4 people) the Dealer Principle and Head of Business replied back with Out Of Messages but I still haven't had any acknowledgement yet.

Also driving to London last night and the Tyres pressure light has come on for the 3rd time since having the car. Most annoying!
Hot weather can spook the sensor, as can suddenly cold. If it is a warm day and the tyres are cold you can get a "false" warning with the low pressure.

As already mentioned - - - Pollen filter
Mate had a ford (apologies) with overpowering stench of wet dog (seriously overpowering) and master technician identified the source immediately as pollen filter,, new filter, air bomb, sorted..get AUK on the case with it although surprised if they haven't already done that

Sorry ... forgot to mention Air filter replaced and Air Con re-gassed but no difference. Maybe something sprayed inside to get rid of the smell. The dealer said they already used an air bomb. I think with smoke it is now ingrained into the fabric.

Emailed dealer this morning as tyre pressure light on again , and he said reference other email it's out of his hands and it's been passed up higher. Although i know that the Dealer Principle and Head of Business are both on holiday at present.

I have kept Audi UK Customer service in the loop but they said it's down to the dealer at this stage.

Reactions: Alan999
Well a quick update. The centre (dealer) has agreed to refund the car which is good i suppose.

My problem now is that i need to find a new car. I paid £24,000 for mine , and had the spec i wanted. Black Ed,, Grey , Comfort and Sound Pack and Panoramic Roof. 18 plate and 5k on the clock.

I really want to stick to Audi A3 but a like for like car, same specification is now going to cost me possible another £2,000.

I don't want to walk away with just a refund , but get into a like for like car. Not sure if the dealer can do anything to help me and give me a better deal.

I did pass Swindon Audi and popped my head in , both the sales guys could smell the smoke in my car. So least i know i am not making it uop

Good result.
I’m sure the dealer will try their best to get your money again so get them off their a$$ and tell them to find one for you.

Reactions: Kondax
Good result.
I’m sure the dealer will try their best to get your money again so get them off their a$$ and tell them to find one for you.

Nope didn’t happen ! Shambolic

Reactions: AlS3BE
Nope didn’t happen ! Shambolic

Keep looking mate. It’s a pain but it’s not a cheap purchase so get one you like and want to keep.
Alternative is get a new one and finance the difference. Plenty of deals in September.

This is a prime example of why I now do the PCP thing and get brand new cars. The Approved Audi thing doesn’t mean sh!t.

I’d rather pay slightly more a month for a PCP but have 100% piece of mind.

This is a prime example of why I now do the PCP thing and get brand new cars. The Approved Audi thing doesn’t mean sh!t.

I’d rather pay slightly more a month for a PCP but have 100% piece of mind.
Only reason for Audi approved is the warranty on cars older than 3 years. That’s the premium you are paying for.
Pre reg and ex demo cars only benefit cash buyers otherwise it will cost more per month in pcp as depreciation on used car is more. there’s always some finance contribution or finance goodies they throw in to new car finance deals which make it more attractive.

Only reason for Audi approved is the warranty on cars older than 3 years. That’s the premium you are paying for.
Pre reg and ex demo cars only benefit cash buyers otherwise it will cost more per month in pcp as depreciation on used car is more. there’s always some finance contribution or finance goodies they throw in to new car finance deals which make it more attractive.

Wonder how much 1.5 TFsi black edition . automatic with comfort and sound pack and panoramic roof would cost in nano grey from new on pcp

Hmmm I got a great deal on my S3. Virtually brand new (6 months 5k miles) yet £10k less than new. Anyway does me well, and the envy of my friends

Wonder how much 1.5 TFsi black edition . automatic with comfort and sound pack and panoramic roof would cost in nano grey from new on pcp

List price must be around £34k so if you are lucky it’s about 15% discount including the Audi £3k contribution. Might get one for around £29k. It would have to be one either in stock or coming into stock. Dealers need to make big targets for September so might get even more discount.

Hmmm I got a great deal on my S3. Virtually brand new (6 months 5k miles) yet £10k less than new. Anyway does me well, and the envy of my friends

I’d agree on certain other cars like RS3’s for instance where there is no deposit contribution from Audi it’s possible to get a better deal on a nearly new one, if you can negotiate a decent APR for any finance if you’re not a cash buyer.

Last edited:
List price must be around £34k so if you are lucky it’s about 15% discount including the Audi £3k contribution. Might get one for around £29k. It would have to be one either in stock or coming into stock. Dealers need to make big targets for September so might get even more discount.
May be bias but with those sorts of figures I’d be looked at getting a decent deal on a S3, would only be maybe £1/2 k more more (may lose pano roof) but if it was financed it may even work out cheaper due to the better residuals on a S3.

May be bias but with those sorts of figures I’d be looked at getting a decent deal on a S3, would only be maybe £1/2 k more more (may lose pano roof) but if it was financed it may even work out cheaper due to the better residuals on a S3.

Isn’t much in it. My neighbour priced up a 2.0 tdi of similar spec to my s3 and it came in about £1000 less than my s3 and the pcp came in a little higher as it has lower residuals.

Reactions: Bells
as someone previously said; they must have been smoking like a chimney for it to be that bad. I have the odd one and people still get in mine and say "ooo it's still got the new car smell" even though it's been over 6 months since I picked it up (2nd hand) which was when it had its last valet.

as someone previously said; they must have been smoking like a chimney for it to be that bad. I have the odd one and people still get in mine and say "ooo it's still got the new car smell" even though it's been over 6 months since I picked it up (2nd hand) which was when it had its last valet.
Smoking in your car - shame on you!

Reactions: Kondax and GW1