S4 S-tronic gear change 'farts'

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks I've test driven a few S4s, when driven enthusiastically they pop a little on the gear change. Do they all do this?

Reason for asking is I drove one last night (it's an early one if that makes a difference) which I really like but it did not do this, neither in D or S. I am actually surprised at how much this is bothering me!! Is it to do with fuel, the engine map, exhaust or something else. Can I make it do it cheaply??!!

I would really like my prospective car to do it!!

Any comments much appreciated.

Afaik you need to cycle the modes back to dynamic every ignition cycle as the "pops" map is turned off at startup.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

It didn't have any modes to change as far as I could see, neither did the other one I drove on the weekend (61 plate) but that did it.

Over the last couple of weeks I've test driven a few S4s, when driven enthusiastically they pop a little on the gear change. Do they all do this?

Reason for asking is I drove one last night (it's an early one if that makes a difference) which I really like but it did not do this, neither in D or S. I am actually surprised at how much this is bothering me!! Is it to do with fuel, the engine map, exhaust or something else. Can I make it do it cheaply??!!

Hi there

Hi there
Check this link out it’s quite good and easy to understand
http://www.torquingcars.com/tech-talk/tech-talk-why-do-dsgs-burp/
Cheers

Rt

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo
not sure

Not sure if this applies to S4, but certainly FL (Facelift) S3 pops and bangs in dynamic much more than PFL.

My 2014 S4 does this in D and S. The drive select mode doesn't seem to matter. Have had it happen in Auto and Dynamic mode.

Reactions: NevMan
Try as I might, I can't quite bring myself to care whether my exhaust system pops on gear changes.

But each to their own. :)

Reactions: Aspen and NevMan
My 12 reg doesn’t really do it, it didn’t with the standard exhaust and it doesn’t with the scorpion I’ve got on.

My mate has just bought a 13 reg which has a full standard exhaust (I’ve been under it checking because I was convinced it isn’t standard) and it makes far more raspy crackles than mine ever has!

It’s strange that some do it more than others.

As far as I'm aware, all stock S-Tronic cars have the DSG fart, it's a factor of how Audi set them up. However, how much of a fart you 'get' on an upshift will be affected by several factors, like air temp, air humidity, exhaust temp etc... You may not have heard the fart on the one you test drove last night due to the conditions you were driving it under.
If in doubt, go back for a second test drive and get it nice and hot. You'll probably hear it most in 'S' and let the gearbox change as it normally would at WOT.
On my, essentially stock, 2013 S4 I can 'generate' the fart in all gearbox modes, but hear it at it's loudest at WOT, changing up just before the rev limit. I have the gearbox set to 'Dynamic', which might make it more prominent.

The website linked above, describing why DSG's fart is complete bunkem. The only reason they exude the behaviour is because that's what the manufacturers want them to do, in order to sound more sporty. The behaviour can be included or excluded as they wish. It's not a factor of the type of gearbox used. It's very similar to the fake pops and bangs many lot of modern sports cars produce on overrun.

The articles explanation on how they make the noise is more valid however.

Paul

Reactions: jdp1962
After reading the link posted further above (which explains the burp as a timing retardation that mimics throttle lift when changing gears) it sounds to me like tuned cars are more likely to do it and all cars should do it though MAINLY on WOT.

But this isn’t a thing that can be controlled directly other than with a tune that specifically causes it (the timing retardation), like my buddy’s Ghibli, he had a shop “tune” it into burping in WOT...his also pops and burbles on rev...

From what I understood, ALL DSG cars should do this to some extent from the factory in any drive setting as its necessary for a smooth shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I'm aware, all stock S-Tronic cars have the DSG fart, it's a factor of how Audi set them up. However, how much of a fart you 'get' on an upshift will be affected by several factors, like air temp, air humidity, exhaust temp etc... You may not have heard the fart on the one you test drove last night due to the conditions you were driving it under.
If in doubt, go back for a second test drive and get it nice and hot. You'll probably hear it most in 'S' and let the gearbox change as it normally would at WOT.
On my, essentially stock, 2013 S4 I can 'generate' the fart in all gearbox modes, but hear it at it's loudest at WOT, changing up just before the rev limit. I have the gearbox set to 'Dynamic', which might make it more prominent.

The website linked above, describing why DSG's fart is complete bunkem. The only reason they exude the behaviour is because that's what the manufacturers want them to do, in order to sound more sporty. The behaviour can be included or excluded as they wish. It's not a factor of the type of gearbox used. It's very similar to the fake pops and bangs many lot of modern sports cars produce on overrun.

The articles explanation on how they make the noise is more valid however.

Paul
You're absolutely spot on when you describe DSG fart as "bunkum". It's artificially induced to try and replicate a sound engines used to make (especially highly tuned ones) before advances in induction control and other elements of car operation eliminated it. An example of this is the pop that's produced on downchanges. That's a throwback to the days when manual gearboxes didn't have synchromesh and drivers had to double-declutch and simultaneously blip the throttle to raise the revs momentarily so that rotational speed of the input ands output shafts would be matched when changing down. It stopped being essential once synchromesh was pretty much universal in the 1970s, but was still a useful skill to have to aid smooth changes and reduce gearbox wear. But it was never necessary on automatics and the idea that manufacturers are programming a blip to replicate that noise in DSG-equipped cars in the second decade of the new millenium is absurd.

Reactions: scotty76
I have a tuned car, so YMMV... I can get mine to fart at will simply by accelerating and then lifting the accelerator slightly. I can get this to happen 1 second after takeoff if I put my foot down enough (~30%) at the lights. This causes the DSG/ECU combination to change up and at the same time as there is a need to slow the engine revs down. Whilst there is claim this comes from dropping petrol into the exhaust, I think it is to do with using the timing of the explosion to slow down the engine revs quickly (as the article half says). Not 100% sure how the pops and crackles you hear on idle and overrun from RS cars are done, but it may well be more of the same or some fuel timed to explode as a valve is open.

With S4/5 cars, the cats are close to the exhaust manifold - I believe that is one of the reasons why they don't support a pop/crackle sound - they sound more aggressive and it wouldn't be good to have too much explosion close to the cats.

I have a tuned car, so YMMV... I can get mine to fart at will simply by accelerating and then lifting the accelerator slightly. I can get this to happen 1 second after takeoff if I put my foot down enough (~30%) at the lights. This causes the DSG/ECU combination to change up and at the same time as there is a need to slow the engine revs down. Whilst there is claim this comes from dropping petrol into the exhaust, I think it is to do with using the timing of the explosion to slow down the engine revs quickly (as the article half says). Not 100% sure how the pops and crackles you hear on idle and overrun from RS cars are done, but it may well be more of the same or some fuel timed to explode as a valve is open.

With S4/5 cars, the cats are close to the exhaust manifold - I believe that is one of the reasons why they don't support a pop/crackle sound - they sound more aggressive and it wouldn't be good to have too much explosion close to the cats.
Yea agree with you on the cats. I've never popped on stock exhaust or on Milltek non res. Now my cats are gutted I get pops loud or deep burble when backing off from hard pull.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk