RS 3 - Canadian Extended Warranty

Tax Lit

Reaction score
Hello All.

I'm planning to switch over from my beloved e92 m3 to an RS3. I've test driven two RS3s, and I love the character that the car has. It feels special, which is what I love about the screaming v8 in my current car. I had two questions for those "in the know" about the RS3:

Question 1: Is the extended warranty worth it on this particular car?

I drive a lot to clear my head, and so despite living in the city I will likely put around 25 k on the car per year. Are there any parts that are known to give out around 80-100,000 km? In my e92, for example, there is a known rod bearing issue. A low percentage of e92 m3s have errors in the way the engine was assembled, so some would randomly blow up. It costs $25,000 Canadian to buy and install a new engine. If there's major stuff, more than a few thousand dollars, I'll likely spring for an extended warranty for around $4,000 Canadian.

Question 2: Any reason not to go Certified Pre-Owned?

One other option I'm considering is just going CPO. There's one near me on sale for 64k that would likely be $69k CDN new, and it only has 2500 km on it. The warranty is ~5 years remaining and 160,000 km. It has 90% of the spec I would order, including Ara blue, but not everything (it's missing carbon inlays and night optics).

Do any of you have good/bad CPO experiences do share.

Question 3: Can I order the Carbon trim parts and have the dealer swap them out? I'll search this forum, when I figure out how to, but if anyone knows off the top of their heads I'd appreciate it.

Audi CPO. You will pay more for than a private deal. The dealer selling the car with 2500 km, is probably a demo car. Up to you if you want to buy a demo car. The extended warranty; I would only look at with a car that has only a year left on the factory warranty and that will not apply to any Canadian RS3s as the car was only available for sale as a 2017 model. Too early to know of any issues on the revised 5 cylinder engine that was produced in 2017 along with the saloon/sedan introduction.

Reactions: Tax Lit
Some big miles being seen on FL cars now and I've not heard of any common faults as yet. I'd say you're reasonably safe.

Reactions: Tax Lit