RS.....is it an itch that needs scratching?

-Ju-

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok so I have a dilemma going on in my head at the moment.
I currently have a 2015 S3 sportback which has a really nice spec and a good few tasteful mods, I really love this car and after 4 x 8P's including 2 S3's it's head and shoulders the best so far and I don't need to change it
However my partner has MS and has had to stop working. This in itself isn't a major issue as I can afford to keep the S3 and she can still at this moment get in and out. For how long I don't know!
The logical step for me practicality wise is an RS Q3, which would probably involve a cash input, or I'm tempted to get an 8P RS3. The 8V RS3 is too expensive to justify.
I know the RS3 is on the older platform and will have far less gadget wise, however it is bigger than the sum of its parts imo, it's the first of the line and would hold it's value extremely well against the S3.
As for the RS Q3, is it a true RS car, I know it has the engine and brakes, but would it hold it's own against the 8P.

Just looking for opinions, should I stick or twist?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Ok so I have a dilemma going on in my head at the moment.
I currently have a 2015 S3 sportback which has a really nice spec and a good few tasteful mods, I really love this car and after 4 x 8P's including 2 S3's it's head and shoulders the best so far and I don't need to change it
However my partner has MS and has had to stop working. This in itself isn't a major issue as I can afford to keep the S3 and she can still at this moment get in and out. For how long I don't know!
The logical step for me practicality wise is an RS Q3, which would probably involve a cash input, or I'm tempted to get an 8P RS3. The 8V RS3 is too expensive to justify.
I know the RS3 is on the older platform and will have far less gadget wise, however it is bigger than the sum of its parts imo, it's the first of the line and would hold it's value extremely well against the S3.
As for the RS Q3, is it a true RS car, I know it has the engine and brakes, but would it hold it's own against the 8P.

Just looking for opinions, should I stick or twist?

What about a 8R SQ5? Not quite RS obviously but gives you the practical easy get in out height and decent S performance from the 3.0 bi TDI

Reactions: -Ju-
What about a 8R SQ5? Not quite RS obviously but gives you the practical easy get in out height and decent S performance from the 3.0 bi TDI
The SQ5 is one of her favourite cars and was on my radar tbh.
My mate has one and I actually looked at a fully spec'd dirt cheap one (21.5k) at Audi last month. However it's simply too wide to reliably get down past the corner of the house and into the garage....that's if they do fit in a garage lol

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan
I think the biggest challenge you’ll face Ju is finding an 8P RS3 that’s in unmolested condition.

I’d imagine good ones are very few and far between.

Yeah Sean, I guess once you look past the glossy paintwork a whole lot of history will be hiding under there.
You've had the 8P RS3, fond memories?

Yeah Sean, I guess once you look past the glossy paintwork a whole lot of history will be hiding under there.
You've had the 8P RS3, fond memories?

Indeed Ju, lovely car, just blighted by Audi incompetence when it came to repairs.

FL RS won’t be going to a main dealer either.

A decent independent will be my choice.

It all depends on whether you can get along with the 8P after having an 8V.

My mate has one and I actually looked at a fully spec'd dirt cheap one (21.5k) at Audi last month. However it's simply too wide to reliably get down past the corner of the house and into the garage....that's if they do fit in a garage lol

Fair enough, it is a big car. No idea on RSQ3, other than that it is same 2.5 five cylinder, detuned. Don’t see many about so pretty rare it seems.

I have the same itch I want a b7 rs4 next year when the R32 goes, my misses has MS aswell luckily she still able to work and is not at that stage yet but it only a matter of time. I’d go for the rs3 8p a fantastic car and it frees up some cash

I have the same itch I want a b7 rs4 next year when the R32 goes, my misses has MS aswell luckily she still able to work and is not at that stage yet but it only a matter of time. I’d go for the rs3 8p a fantastic car and it frees up some cash
The B7 RS4 tempts me too but I like the size and versatility of the 3!
I reckon it would cost me as much for a nice 8P RS3 as the 8V S3 is worth but would hold it's value better so yeah a net saving.
All the best to your better half, it's a terrible disease and painful to watch

Reactions: T-800 and NevMan
To answer your question directly, I think for any Audi enthusiast, there's always going to be an RS itch if you've never owned one, it's the 'feel good' factor that comes with it, and the smug face you can have when you tell someone you have an RSx! :D

For your personal dilemma, I think an RSQ3 is a decent choice if it's practical enough.

To answer your question directly, I think for any Audi enthusiast, there's always going to be an RS itch if you've never owned one, it's the 'feel good' factor that comes with it, and the smug face you can have when you tell someone you have an RSx! :D

For your personal dilemma, I think an RSQ3 is a decent choice if it's practical enough.
That's it in a nutshell jojo, it's that feeling inside that having an "RS" gives you.
No matter how great my S is and it is a stonking car, it isn't an RS!

Reactions: oli356 and jojo
Gotta decide if you want a badge or a car Ju. as far as performance goes they are all much the same in the real word be it a RS, A45 or M2.
the only real problem with Audi is audi themselves. The cars are quite good but the company is just crap.
Its hard when your needs mean you know you really have to be sensible but your heart still says "you could still do this" if you really want too but bottom line is any performance model is probably going to be a liability especially an RS3 and are you getting to the stage where reliability and ease of use is going to be more important than the look at me badge ?

Had my 8P RS3 since October 2011 and other than low speed front brake squeal and rusty rear brake hubs, both easily sorted, the car has been 100% reliable. As for the 'badge,' I removed mine, front and rear, in 2012. And nothing I'd change it for just yet...

That's the thing Paddy, the S3 has in reality normal A3 running costs in comparison to an RS.
I just can't see myself in anything other than a performance related car, I know that sounds selfish to a degree but it's how I'm made.
I think I'll end up keeping the S3 tbh unless I find a deal too hard to pass

That's the thing Paddy, the S3 has in reality normal A3 running costs in comparison to an RS.
I just can't see myself in anything other than a performance related car, I know that sounds selfish to a degree but it's how I'm made.
I think I'll end up keeping the S3 tbh unless I find a deal too hard to pass

Best thing to do Ju....

Go find an 8p have a test drive of it.

Then you can have a baseline and decide if you like it.

Reactions: -Ju- and NevMan
Best thing to do Ju....

Go find an 8p have a test drive of it.

Then you can have a baseline and decide if you like it.
I would hazard a guess that if/when you drive one, your "selfish" nature may change lol

I am with 45bvtc, i have gone out of my way to keep my car looking absolutely stock while getting it up to 380hbp. If i had the nerve i would put 1.8D badges on it. Its all part of the fun. Everyone expects an S or RS to go quick but they dont expect a 1.8D to go flying past :)

that said mine is in the pitts again today with brake judder which i have had for 25k miles and 3 sets of discs and pads and no one can fix it so far so unless its sorted this time it will be going i fear.

Reactions: NevMan and 45bvtc
I am with 45bvtc, i have gone out of my way to keep my car looking absolutely stock while getting it up to 380hbp. If i had the nerve i would put 1.8D badges on it. Its all part of the fun. Everyone expects an S or RS to go quick but they dont expect a 1.8D to go flying past :)

that said mine is in the pitts again today with brake judder which i have had for 25k miles and 3 sets of discs and pads and no one can fix it so far so unless its sorted this time it will be going i fear.

8P RS3

Let me know if I can help further, paddy; I can send you a pdf copy of the 2010 Pricing and Specification Guide if needed.

PADDY BLUEY

Mine looks just like a 2.0TDi with added wheels, paddy; but that's where the resemblance stops...
4221.gif

Reactions: paddy

SQ5 is on my radar, too. A 2018 TFSi spec SQ5 with air suspension - having recently abused one (thanks Sandra) at Stoke Audi :hi: But not yet.

Fabulous car but a different animal to an 8P RS3. Nothing I'd swap my 8P RS3 for as of today, but a 2018/19/20 TFSi spec SQ5 sure has me thinking.

And I'm OK with a diesel SQ5, too. Diesel engines (industrial and marine) paid off my mortgage, and more, so I love 'em... Tis them ****-head (can I say that? Obviously not... :whip:) politicians who've ignorantly (i.e., lack of knowledge) castigated the diesel engine in automotive applications to death that's the problem, tsk...

Reactions: RS4B5 and NevMan
SQ5 is on my radar, too. A 2018 TFSi spec SQ5 with air suspension - having recently abused one (thanks Sandra) at Stoke Audi :hi: But not yet.

Fabulous car but a different animal to an 8P RS3. Nothing I'd swap my 8P RS3 for as of today, but a 2018/19/20 TFSi spec SQ5 sure has me thinking.

And I'm OK with a diesel SQ5, too. Diesel engines (industrial and marine) paid off my mortgage, and more, so I love 'em... Tis them ****-head (can I say that? Obviously not... :whip:) politicians who've ignorantly (i.e., lack of knowledge) castigated the diesel engine in automotive applications to death that's the problem, tsk...
Your welcome John, lol. :) x

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
Sorry to hear your partner is suffering. My wife was diagnosed nearly 7 years ago but so far hasn’t had too many issues. She only works 2 days now though.

The RSQ3 is a good option if you like the style of the vehicle and love the 5pot.

The RSQ3 came in 3 different specs. 310ps, 335ps and the 365ps performance version but the latter are very rare and still commanding pretty high prices (circa £35k).

I get an average of 30mpg on my daily commute and weekend blasts which I don’t think is too bad at all.

The exhaust noise is nice (slightly muted compared to other 5pot RS cars) but disappointed that you don’t get twin pipes.

I fear the next RSQ3 will be too expensive for me as Audi plan on fitting an SQ3 into the range

Reactions: -Ju-, Ghost, NevMan and 1 other person
I don't think a sq3 but a sq2 is on the way with the ea888

Sorry to hear your partner is suffering. My wife was diagnosed nearly 7 years ago but so far hasn’t had too many issues. She only works 2 days now though.

The RSQ3 is a good option if you like the style of the vehicle and love the 5pot.

The RSQ3 came in 3 different specs. 310ps, 335ps and the 365ps performance version but the latter are very rare and still commanding pretty high prices (circa £35k).

I get an average of 30mpg on my daily commute and weekend blasts which I don’t think is too bad at all.

The exhaust noise is nice (slightly muted compared to other 5pot RS cars) but disappointed that you don’t get twin pipes.

I fear the next RSQ3 will be too expensive for me as Audi plan on fitting an SQ3 into the range
Thanks for the reply and nice to get a view from An RSQ3 owner, they are a rare breed lol.
She's yet to start treatment but she's had it probably the best part of 10 years tbh and just always found a reason to explain the symptoms.
The worst part now is the waiting as it's taken 18 months so far from the first mri and in that time she has really gone downhill.
I think it's more function over form tbh with the RSQ3 but i do like cars with a certain rarity and it does have road presence, especially from the front.
I think the facelift version is my preference but probably a little over budget as I have to watch the pennies to a degree.
I know where there is a nice performance model but it's £34k:frown new:

Reactions: RS4B5 and T-800
Thanks for the reply and nice to get a view from An RSQ3 owner, they are a rare breed lol.
She's yet to start treatment but she's had it probably the best part of 10 years tbh and just always found a reason to explain the symptoms.
The worst part now is the waiting as it's taken 18 months so far from the first mri and in that time she has really gone downhill.
I think it's more function over form tbh with the RSQ3 but i do like cars with a certain rarity and it does have road presence, especially from the front.
I think the facelift version is my preference but probably a little over budget as I have to watch the pennies to a degree.
I know where there is a nice performance model but it's £34k:frown new:
had a quick browse (as you do), and see RSQ3's are holding their value well, as I suppose all RS's do.
And not many about, which helps hold the value I suppose. I never actually realised they did different versions of these, with quite some difference in the BHP, but I suppose a lot of that is down to the various FL's and bump in performance. Latest version doing 0-62 in 4.4 which isn't far off RS3 SB

So your looking at about 25k
What do you absolutely need?
Mpg fuel?

So your looking at about 25k
What do you absolutely need?
Mpg fuel?
If I could get that for £25k I'd be off lol
So the main criteria in the longer term is easier access. That almost kind of rules out the GLA45 though tbh as although it sits higher, the seats are more bucket like and they sit further in!
I would like 4wd and roughly 300-350bhp and as many options as possible. Pan roof is a must and so is a decent sound system.

Reactions: RS4B5
In reality yeah it's a little wide. My drive narrows at the corner of the house so i think it would be too wide tbh. It's one of her favourite car though!

time to knock some off the corner of the house then :whistle2:

edit: maybe get some measurements done. Width is 1911mm

Reactions: RS4B5 and -Ju-
time to knock some off the corner of the house then :whistle2:

edit: maybe get some measurements done. Width is 1911mm
Is that inc. The mirrors?

There's not much cars to go for unless you for a full size suv you can get a lot of gems for 25k

According to parkers it's 2089mm for the SQ5, the RS Q3 is 2019mm and the S3 8V is 1966mm.

That sooner or later the sq5 would have a nice scrape down the side lol

Reactions: T-800, 45bvtc and NevMan