Is this an Oil catch can/filter??

Deep penetrator

Reaction score
can someone please enlighten me as to what this little item is as it’s decided to spray oil over my engine bay and is leaking too!! Cars a FL RS3

Cheers

AAC9DE99 7645 4196 B1EA FC6E68F36B69

Could possibly be a gearbox breather pipe, what does the oil smell like because that would give you some kind of clue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deep penetrator
Could possibly be a gearbox breather pipe, what does the oil smell like because that would give you some kind of clue?

Apparently it’s a DSG breather as you said mate cheers. Oil smells like oil lol
It looks like engine oil. Been told this is quite normal for it to spew out of this part after spirited driving or doing launches.

Apparently it’s a DSG breather as you said mate cheers. Oil smells like oil lol
It looks like engine oil. Been told this is quite normal for it to spew out of this part after spirited driving or doing launches.

Oil smells like oil, yeah you’re right but having smelt and tasted DSG oil it definitely tastes and smells different to engine oil and it has a reddish colour to it. I know that as a fact when my DSG oil bottle ‘blew up’ and covered me from head to toe in oil while changing the gearbox oil on a mk5 GTI, I thought it would be quicker to use compressed air to help it flow a little quicker much to my wife’s amusement when I walked in the house dripping in it, looking back at it now it was quite funny.

On the serious side, if it blows oil after a good thrashing do you need to top it up regularly?

Reactions: TYb, jungle650, teslaboy and 1 other person
Oil smells like oil, yeah you’re right but having smelt and tasted DSG oil it definitely tastes and smells different to engine oil and it has a reddish colour to it. I know that as a fact when my DSG oil bottle ‘blew up’ and covered me from head to toe in oil while changing the gearbox oil on a mk5 GTI, I thought it would be quicker to use compressed air to help it flow a little quicker much to my wife’s amusement when I walked in the house dripping in it, looking back at it now it was quite funny.

On the serious side, if it blows oil after a good thrashing do you need to top it up regularly?

Lol :laughing:

It’s a yellow colour oil mate.
Appreciate your feedback pal and I bet that was a moment for you.
I’ve only noticed it today but it was a mess under the bonnet.

Quite a few people have commented on this over the last few months. Same question as above...does th gearbox oil need replacing more often if doing lots of hard driving/launches if it's going to spew out like this?

It’s made me quite paranoid about giving the car a bit of pasty if it’s going to spit oil out because it can’t be good for the gearbox.

I thought it would be just a breather to let warm air out and oil shouldn’t be lost unless it vaporises and passes through as a mist, maybe it’s the equivalent of a blow off valve and releases the pressure as a last resort?

Reactions: Deep penetrator
It’s made me quite paranoid about giving the car a bit of pasty if it’s going to spit oil out because it can’t be good for the gearbox.

I thought it would be just a breather to let warm air out and oil shouldn’t be lost unless it vaporises and passes through as a mist, maybe it’s the equivalent of a blow off valve and releases the pressure as a last resort?

I spoke to Hank Iroz of Iroz Motorsports yesterday and said this,

“The problem is the heat with launching and aggressive driving is heating up the fluid and expanding. 90% of the problem is gearbox pressurized. Our part was developed to normalize the gearbox pressure as well as get rid of the mess“

So the oil that does spew out is just excess