Audi VC

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not strictly A3 related but I trust your opinions more here! Anyway, thinking of getting a Q2 1st edition with VC but having driven a R-Line T-Roc I was super impressed by the amount of tech included in it especially the VW version of VC. It looked super HD crisp and so clear. This is a new model so I figure that the VW VC is new so im just wondering that if I go with a Q2 with VC if its future proof for a few years? Audi VC has been around for a few years now and I haven't heard of anyone mentioning if a Version 2 VC is coming out?Does that even exist or would be updated via software? Not sure if it works like this but worried about getting a Q2 with VC and then finding out there is a new version with clearer dials etc in 6 months, much like the iPhone cycle! Must say I haven't driven an Audi for 2yrs with VC so will know if its better than VW later tonight when I go for a test drive.

Many thanks & hope your all having a thrilling Thursday! :)

No tech will be future proof. But I think the VC looks way more high tech than what VW has to offer at least when I'm comparing the misses 2017 Passat and my 2017 S3 (Maybe VW have updated it since?), just the Google Maps overlay makes a great difference.

You're overthinking this! (Not that I didn't prior to buying my S3 :whistle2:) But get the VC and stop looking for greener grass on the other side - you won't be disappointed no matter what!

Reactions: Ormesome
Even if Audi release a new version anytime soon it is not going to be drastically different, it will be just ‘different’. Can’t see it reinventing the wheel or taking it to another level. Get the VC and that’ll keep you bang up to date for a long time yet I suspect. Manufacturers seem more bothered about reinventing the rest of the dash into digital format rather than above the steering wheel.

The VC that is in the Q2 is the GEN 1 VC. I have the same in my A3. However, Audi have updated their VC and From what I can tell, it looks mostly software based. The new VC can be seen in the following models: Q8, New A7, New A6, New A8, basically anything with the new interior that has done away with the physical dials and replaced them with large touch screens.

I expect that the next generation of Audi cars will feature this new VC, and the A3 is due for an update next year...

Regarding the Q2 however, I am not sure when that will be getting an update. I personally really like the current VC in my A3. It suits me perfectly, and as I mentioned above, I think the update will be mostly software based and you won't see any dramatic functional improvement.

This is the GEN 1 Cockpit

2016_audi_q7_53_1920x1080.jpg

d-07-q7-virtual-img-01.jpg

This is the new version:

audi_q8_release_date_steering_wheel_virtual_cockpit.jpg

2018-Audi-Q8-4-650x433.jpg

Reactions: Pook, Ormesome and Lehn
Thanks for the replies guys. Just what I was wanting to hear. Basically worried that ill be buying a car with VC that is outdated or can't handle updates, but I guess im thinking more along the lines that VC is like an iPhone and has updates every year or frequently which isnt the case. Still worried that ill buy a 30k car and the VC then gets laggy over the period of the finance deal. Thats the main down side to the Q2 perhaps, especially as its mentioned above, it runs on VC V1 and already there is V2. I know it will happen in the future but for now I wanted the latest tech, hence why the T-Roc looks so amazing, advantage of a new model I guess! The Like. said, not seen the VC for 2yrs so ill write back later tonight after the Q2 test drive which might blow me away!

Will be interesting what you think of the Q2 after test drive, as have seen a few on here not overly keen on them, but probably depends on engine you go for. Have seen very positive things about T-Roc, especially R-Line.

Will be interesting what you think of the Q2 after test drive, as have seen a few on here not overly keen on them, but probably depends on engine you go for. Have seen very positive things about T-Roc, especially R-Line.

I would only have the R-Line 2.0tsi with DSG. test drove a few others and it was a bit slow. The 2.0 with DSG was incredible. pretty fast too. quality is good. all reviews mention hard plastics but to be honest I don't care about the top of the dash being hard. don't go touching that part anyway!

Im not keen on some editions of the Q2 but the 1st editions model looks great.

Reactions: NevMan
The VC that is in the Q2 is the GEN 1 VC. I have the same in my A3. However, Audi have updated their VC and From what I can tell, it looks mostly software based. The new VC can be seen in the following models: Q8, New A7, New A6, New A8, basically anything with the new interior that has done away with the physical dials and replaced them with large touch screens.

I expect that the next generation of Audi cars will feature this new VC, and the A3 is due for an update next year...

Regarding the Q2 however, I am not sure when that will be getting an update. I personally really like the current VC in my A3. It suits me perfectly, and as I mentioned above, I think the update will be mostly software based and you won't see any dramatic functional improvement.
useful post. When you say software, that will include resolution, so clearly Gen2 has higher res, which may be down to newer higher res screen, or just software update. As OP says, older iPhones etc often look much better with new IOS

I’d be very tempted by the T Roc over Q2, much more pleasing on the eye.

Reactions: Ormesome and NevMan
Ok so im a pickle right now! The VC in the Q2 was really good. The screen was much better than I remembered. Just the shape of it and how it contours around the binnacle means that the screen is much bigger than in the T-Roc. I think the T-Roc has higher definition than the Q2 VC but im not entirely sure. Ever so slightly the speedo part didn't look so clear on the Audi VC but I might be over thinking it as the Satellite view Googlemaps was superb. Thinking about it, it might be because the Audi VC has a matt screen whereas the VW is a shiny screen. might add to the effect?

Driving wise it is down to the engine. T-roc is a 2.0tsi and the Q2 is a 2.0 tdi. Rev range is completely different but bhp is the same. I prefer the petrol due to being able to rev it harder and the fact that you can stay longer in 1 gear really suit the DSG gearbox. The S-stronic seemed a bit laggy even in sport mode and I was a bit shocked by this. However I drive a lot of miles so the diesel wins. Cabin wise, I prefer the Q2, feels more special, a bit more thought out and a generally younger, fresher style. The T-Roc cabin is a little normal, amazing tech and the finish is good but you don't feel like your in something special.

Q2 wins basically. Comes down to wanting to stay in an Audi I think. Just everything about it seemed a little better than the T-Roc, just that little bit more special.

useful post. When you say software, that will include resolution, so clearly Gen2 has higher res, which may be down to newer higher res screen, or just software update. As OP says, older iPhones etc often look much better with new IOS

I can't comment on the resolution as I'm not sure I'm afraid. But when I mention software, I really mean software, just the program that runs on the device, the way the dials look, the animation, the availability of information etc.

Ok so im a pickle right now! The VC in the Q2 was really good. The screen was much better than I remembered. Just the shape of it and how it contours around the binnacle means that the screen is much bigger than in the T-Roc. I think the T-Roc has higher definition than the Q2 VC but im not entirely sure. Ever so slightly the speedo part didn't look so clear on the Audi VC but I might be over thinking it as the Satellite view Googlemaps was superb. Thinking about it, it might be because the Audi VC has a matt screen whereas the VW is a shiny screen. might add to the effect?

Driving wise it is down to the engine. T-roc is a 2.0tsi and the Q2 is a 2.0 tdi. Rev range is completely different but bhp is the same. I prefer the petrol due to being able to rev it harder and the fact that you can stay longer in 1 gear really suit the DSG gearbox. The S-stronic seemed a bit laggy even in sport mode and I was a bit shocked by this. However I drive a lot of miles so the diesel wins. Cabin wise, I prefer the Q2, feels more special, a bit more thought out and a generally younger, fresher style. The T-Roc cabin is a little normal, amazing tech and the finish is good but you don't feel like your in something special.

Q2 wins basically. Comes down to wanting to stay in an Audi I think. Just everything about it seemed a little better than the T-Roc, just that little bit more special.

Seems to me you want the badge (No harm in that). I think that trumps all other considerations here. Go for what you want.

Reactions: NevMan and Ormesome
I can't comment on the resolution as I'm not sure I'm afraid. But when I mention software, I really mean software, just the program that runs on the device, the way the dials look, the animation, the availability of information etc.
As I said, software updates would often (at least in case of IOS, Os updates etc) include resolution bump.

As I said, software updates would often (at least in case of IOS, Os updates etc) include resolution bump.

Really? how does a resolution bump work with software updates? isn't that down to hardware? maybe clearer fonts etc or sharper lines/colours but actual resolution I would think is down to actual hardware.

Really? how does a resolution bump work with software updates? isn't that down to hardware? maybe clearer fonts etc or sharper lines/colours but actual resolution I would think is down to actual hardware.
I'd have thought the same, unless all of the dials are just using a rubbish resolution or something.

But ... I'm not really sure if Audi would be developing updates for things like this, never mind pushing them out without people asking?

Ok, no need to be pedantic. sharper fonts, lines etc. to me that equates to resolution/clarity, but maybe not in strictest terms.
That is why I was mentioning IOS and O/S updates, as every time my phone, mac or pc gets "major" updates, the "resolution" appears much crisper/sharper/cleaner. Now obviously there has been no hardware updates on my side.

Anyway, Gen2 looks way sharper/clearer/better, and probably has higher res screen and faster graphics chip anyway..bored now

Ok, no need to be pedantic. sharper fonts, lines etc. to me that equates to resolution/clarity, but maybe not in strictest terms.
That is why I was mentioning IOS and O/S updates, as every time my phone, mac or pc gets "major" updates, the "resolution" appears much crisper/sharper/cleaner. Now obviously there has been no hardware updates on my side.

Anyway, Gen2 looks way sharper/clearer/better, and probably has higher res screen and faster graphics chip anyway..bored now

Cool thanks for the reply & info. I was not being pedantic! I just wondered if I had missed something as I am new to the VC and its specs etc.....

Reactions: NevMan
Cool thanks for the reply & info. I was not being pedantic! I just wondered if I had missed something as I am new to the VC and its specs etc.....
fair enough, and apologies for calling you pedantic :)

I've had the pleasure of driving both cars and my thoughts are as follows:

T-Roc looks better if specced correctly, and it's wider which gives it a better stance.
Q2 is miles ahead when it comes to interior quality, just check the top of the dashboard on T-Roc, you could write letters with your fingernails on that surface how bristle it is.

Regarding VC in btoh cars, Q2 has a nicer VC in my personal opinion. MMI is older than VW infosystem but I dislike touchscreens anyway.

My parents have a T-Roc Rline. I find my VC sharper and better then the VW version. Interior quality is lower in a T-Roc but drives good and looks good.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Reactions: Rideen and Ormesome