New engine? A4 Cabrio 3.0

DawnTreader1

Reaction score
Driving an '05 and now in shop (dealer) for inspection. Shop says there is no compression in Cylinder 2 and I need a new engine. Anyone want to weigh in on how to proceed with this? Car is in beautiful shape and only 103,000 mi.

I don't see how they can say that if they don't even have the cylinder head off yet. It all depends on what's wrong and where and how much damage has been done. Worst case scenario is a dropped valve that has wrecked the cylinder bore.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I don't see how they can say that if they don't even have the cylinder head off yet. It all depends on what's wrong and where and how much damage has been done. Worst case scenario is a dropped valve that has wrecked the cylinder bore.

Thx! What would cause no compression in a cylinder?

Could hitting a major pothole cause this? As soon as I hit that - the car started shuddering. Could leaving the oil cap off for a a few days cause that? Thx!!

I'm doing up a 2001 A6 2.7t quattro that had cam belt fail on it at 70mph. So far only cost a few hundred. The head gasket set can be got for £45 includes head gaskets. Worth popping engine out and heads off for investigation.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DawnTreader1
I'm doing up a 2001 A6 2.7t quattro that had cam belt fail on it at 70mph. So far only cost a few hundred. The head gasket set can be got for £45 includes head gaskets. Worth popping engine out and heads off for investigation.

Thx Leo!! Sounds like there is still life yet. Dealer told me engine is shot & tried to get me to buy a used engine for $8000 US with 107,000 mi

Could hitting a major pothole cause this? As soon as I hit that - the car started shuddering. Could leaving the oil cap off for a a few days cause that? Thx!!
No, no chance of that. A burnt valve could cause loss of compression or broken piston rings, they are going to have to do some disassembly to find out the cause.

No, no chance of that. A burnt valve could cause loss of compression or broken piston rings, they are going to have to do some disassembly to find out the cause.

Very helpful.

Reactions: QuattroCalum
Happy to share my experience with you. Bonus was I got the car for £200 on ebay too. Yes cost another £200ish to transport, but try and find a 2.7 biturbo quattro for less.....

Leo, awesome! Hope both our machines keep running into the 200's :) that's my plan

Reactions: Leo Komninos

Once upon a time...there was a good story. Took the car to an indie shop that specializes in German cars. He showed me the compression test. My engine is fine. Spark plugs smell bad though. Hitting the pothole may have sent the computer off kilter. To be continued.... By the way, when I picked up my car from the dealer the windows were no longer working! Royal treatment don't ya think? Made me drive a potentially unsafe car across town.

Reactions: QuattroCalum