A3 wheel alignment type

Wibbly

Reaction score
New tyres, and have had some kerb damage so now I think is the time to have alignment checked after a wheel refirb even though I don't see signs of abnormal wear on the old tyres.

So I can get 'traditional' four-wheel alignment, or full geometry checks (typically using the Hunter kit), the latter being much more expensive of course. But what kind of suspension does a standard 2015 1.4 tfsi COD s-line have - are anything other than basic adjustments to toe in/out on the front wheels even possible?

I.e. what's the benefit of a full geometry check/adjust in my case? Is it only that it might reveal bent suspension components (not that I've symptoms of any I've noticed)?

Your old school wheel alignment is just aligning the front to back so if the back is out then the front will be out. Really only showing toe out.
4 wheel laser alignment will show every aspect of your geometry, toe, caster, camber etc. I doubt much is adjustable but it gives you a clear picture if there’s any issues, where geometry out from spec etc. Things like worn bushes, bent arms will show up in the geometry check and some can even highlight if a wheel is buckled.
I wouldn’t waste time with the normal alignment and go straight for the full geometry check.

Reactions: Wibbly
I'd agree with Mr 3BE.

A proper check with Hunter gear doesn't have to cost a kidney. Shop around. It probably won't help other than to demonstrate how reasonable it can be, but I've had two full Hunter jobs done on an allroad in the past at my local tyre gaff and neither cost more than thirty quid.

I seem to remember that getting it done at a dealer adds a three-figure amount to that.

The only discernible difference was that I had to mooch around outside in the drizzle rather than sit on a leather couch checking my investment portfolio over a swanky thimbleful of coffee and a posh doughnut.

The only discernible difference was that I had to mooch around outside in the drizzle rather than sit on a leather couch checking my investment portfolio over a swanky thimbleful of coffee and a posh doughnut.

You forgot the part you get to eyeball the shiny new cars and the pretty receptionist:yes:

I'd agree with Mr 3BE.

A proper check with Hunter gear doesn't have to cost a kidney. Shop around. It probably won't help other than to demonstrate how reasonable it can be, but I've had two full Hunter jobs done on an allroad in the past at my local tyre gaff and neither cost more than thirty quid.

I seem to remember that getting it done at a dealer adds a three-figure amount to that.

Used this site https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ All around me (HP11 2UB) cost around £85 - £135 (top end other than dealer have a particularly good reputation though - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/).

Then there's Kwikfit - they will do a check for nothing I think, but their reputation for making fixes (@£109) is very hit and miss. Maybe I should just get it checked there and then decide!? Either way for £30 I just get the kind of place that will align fronts with back :-(

Used this site https://www.alignmycar.co.uk/ All around me (HP11 2UB) cost around £85 - £135 (top end other than dealer have a particularly good reputation though - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/).

Then there's Kwikfit - they will do a check for nothing I think, but their reputation for making fixes (@£109) is very hit and miss. Maybe I should just get it checked there and then decide!? Either way for £30 I just get the kind of place that will align fronts with back :-(
That's a pain.

If nothing else it highlights the pitfalls of someone - like me, in this case - crowing about how inexpensive their local place is only to find that nobody else can get a price within a country mile of it.

Gloating about how lucky I am doesn't help you in the slightest, I'm afraid.

The other thing I forget to take into account is that even in this day and age there are companies who will do you mates rates if you've been going there for yonks and built up a relationship with them.

Sorry for the bum steer, old fruit. I hope you get it sorted.

I would expect a couple of hours labour to do it right so £100 or there about is not unreasonable.
Setting the gear up on your car could take half hour or more depending on the gear they have.
The kits are also expensive costing thousands and annual updates etc so they would want to make their money back.
Way I always see it is geometry is cheaper than a couple of tyres if it’s out.

Reactions: Wibbly
Got it checked (on John Bean equipment) at "Merityre" (local to Bucks I think). They do free check and up to £85 to fully align. Turned out 3 wheels were in spec and one at the rear borderline - would be £85 as sorting the one rear would then knock out a front. Recommendation from them was not worth £85 given the rear was only borderline and that £85 would not see any perceptible difference to driving or tyre wear. Good, considering thay could have just suggested I pay them £85. I left it.

Reactions: AlS3BE