Maintenance Schedule

fast-ferret

Reaction score
Hey all, apart from the normal items changed at oil change and major services, what items are classed as regular maintenance items on the S4? I've found a nice chart from shopdap.com below which seems to cover it:

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-b8-5-audi-s4-3-0t-supercharged-2013-2017.html

However something confuses me and I've seen this is in the Audi service manual - you get things such as spark plugs, pollin filter, engine air filter etc changed at each major service - this seems very at odds with the maintenance plan which Audi set out which says you only need to change spark plugs every 55k miles or so, so why do they get changed at every major service?

My son got an S5 3.0 auto 2015 35k in the summer and changed everything and had Audi do the box even though there was a receipt for ATF from the indie who was used by the previous owner.It seemed to me that the air and pollen filters were fairly clean but the air had been distorted by incorrect instalment so shows its best to ignore records and do things yourself.Once you have done so I wouldnt take Audi advice seriously cos they are in the business of getting ignorant owners to pay big bills.A classic is to comment on brake pads and discs when there is plenty left but scares owner into getting the lot replaced

I have been privy to a few conversations that are made by service desks to customers whilst doing my job.

Robbing scum !! I would say much more but fear the filter would break.

Telling one poor sod that the discs had corrosion on them and would need replaced as the corrosion would undoubtedly speed up the wear on pads as "it's corrosion"(because that explains all) and you should replace it all. Our chief technician recommended it.

If you just don't know then they will cheat you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can imagine that dealers are a bit trigger happy with maintenance items, they’ve been so with brake pads with me, saying they need replacing when actually they were about 5mm..

However, I wasn’t meaning to imply that Audi are robbing buggers in my original post, whilst maybe true my thought (about the spark plugs) was more toward the major service being correct and the maintenance book (and the shopdap website) being wrong - pretty much every dealer changes spark plugs during a major service don’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spark plugs, as I only run about 4K miles a year it seems, I waited until the car was 6 years old before replacing them.

If you run high miles per year maybe you need to replace them at 4 years or 55K miles, any more than that is probably a waste of time.

Edit:- most VW Group dealerships have menu servicing for cars over 3 years old, and anyone handing their car in will maybe end up getting plugs and air filters getting replaced every 2 years, but really that is just a bit of money grabbing - if in fact they do that work, one other thing, some times there is a base price for minor and major services - and extra get charged if that car is at the point/year/mileage where extra bits like spark plugs need replacing, all a bit confusing, keeping it simple is not in their interests.

Maybe I’m just a bit optimistic but I generally err on the side of thinking that surely there is a reason (other than financial) that they replace them. It seems bizarre that you have on one hand the service schedule informing you in black and white that they only need replacing at 55k, yet on the other hand the dealers (and I imagine this extends to pretty much all makes, not just Audi) replace them every other year.

This also seems the case for the air filter and pollen filter. Two other things that need replacing quite infrequently it seems.

I should read the book more closely, does it state a maximum age for things like spark plugs? I didn’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spark Plugs, 28Nm + 90 degrees - is that correct, I would have thought that 30Nm by itself is more like it for these plugs, any comments from anyone out there, I don't mind being wrong?

Edit:- Air filter, the way that I've used my cars, at 30K miles I like to replace it. Pollen filter, every 2 years or more often if you live an extremely dirty area - I check it every year and try to reverse vac it out a bit.

I've checked up a bit more about the required spark plug torque and the advice seems to come back 24>29.3Nm for NGK plugs into alloy heads and a bit more into iron heads, which ties in with the 28Nm that I have used on alloy heads.

Now, the suggestion is for Bosch plugs into alloy heads you use a bit more, and I can't see that being correct as the material that is limiting this torque figure will be the alloy head, it does not matter how much torque the spark plugs can handle as it will normally be well above the figure for that thread size in an alloy material.

So, watch out when using some of these online "experts" guides.

Spark plugs...

IMG 20160606 181242085

Taken from my thread https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-s4-thread.240053/page-7#post-2755030

Audi managed to do a major service at 2 years old on my car by mistake. Luckily I only paid for the minor I'd booked! The invoices are in that thread too if you want to see what else they did.

Hey all, apart from the normal items changed at oil change and major services, what items are classed as regular maintenance items on the S4? I've found a nice chart from shopdap.com below which seems to cover it:

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-b8-5-audi-s4-3-0t-supercharged-2013-2017.html

However something confuses me and I've seen this is in the Audi service manual - you get things such as spark plugs, pollin filter, engine air filter etc changed at each major service - this seems very at odds with the maintenance plan which Audi set out which says you only need to change spark plugs every 55k miles or so, so why do they get changed at every major service?
For a 'normal' annual mileage usage (up to 12k per year), I'd change the pollen and air filter every 2 years. Both can be had for relative peanuts so even yearly wouldn't be financially. You can also fit a K&N or similar air filter and service it instead of changing the OEM item periodically.

For plugs, from experience, I'd follow the Audi recommendation of every 55 years. I changed them at circa 40k miles on my last car, which was the recommendation. I measured the gaps and they'd not changed, indication there was no wear in either electrodes. These were a similar platinum tipped plug like the S4 uses.
My S4 will be getting remapped before 55k miles is up and I'll replace the plugs before this, just as a precautionary measure.

I'd change the supercharger belt and the brake fluid as per Audi's recommendation. I plan on doing the coolant, centre diff/ gear oil and rear diff oil (Sports diff) at 50k as it's a nice round number.

Once the car's remapped, I'll probably reduce the period between S-Tronic oil changes too, depending on what I find when I monitor the gear oil temps. After just changing the S-Tronic oil and checking temps, with my driving style, the gear oil has a very easy life.

Paul

That's optimistic! :)
As above, not in my experience. Changing them every few years is an old way of thinking, when only copper/ nickel plugs were available. With modern plugs, with platinum and/ or iridium electrodes, the wear rates are much lower and as long as you don't buy Denso plugs, they just don't fail during their normal service life. :icon thumright:

Paul

As above, not in my experience. Changing them every few years is an old way of thinking, when only copper/ nickel plugs were available. With modern plugs, with platinum and/ or iridium electrodes, the wear rates are much lower and as long as you don't buy Denso plugs, they just don't fail during their normal service life. :icon thumright:

Paul

I think he was referring to the "years" bit ;) I do like the S4 but I'm not sure I'll be owning it when I'm 89, certainly not servicing it at any rate..

Cheers for the info though, so is the general consensus that Audi changing them every major/inspection service (whatever you call it) pretty much just money-grabbing?

Paul
But 55 years?! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: youngsyp
I think he was referring to the "years" bit ;) I do like the S4 but I'm not sure I'll be owning it when I'm 89, certainly not servicing it at any rate..
D'oh! :redface: I'm blaming sleep deprivation from having a 3.5 month old! :yes:

Cheers for the info though, so is the general consensus that Audi changing them every major/inspection service (whatever you call it) pretty much just money-grabbing?
Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm. Case in point, my wife had 2 slow punctures on her company car. She contacted the leasing company and they sent a QuikFit mobile guy. Instead of fixing the punctures, he fitted 2 new tyres. These are £250 (each) tyres! In that example, I see QuikFit as the Audi dealer and the lease company as the punter. Of course, QuikFit will put together some BS reason why they did it.

You have the information on what Audi recommend, so just use your gut as to whether that's acceptable to you, your use of the car and what impression it will give to anyone who's looking at the car, when you come to sell it.

Paul

Reactions: jdp1962