S3 engine in an A3?

Abz99

Reaction score
Hi everyone, haven’t posted on for a while mainly working on the car and whatnot. I’ve got an Audi A3 sportback 1.6 Petrol Manual 5 Speed Gearbox. I’ve given it the tlc it needs and can now safely say it’s problem free, looks decent. Found out that a nearby neighbour is breaking his s3 sportback for parts, only damage is the roof from I suspect a tree. Now I’ve spent plenty on getting this car to where it is now and it’s moreso a project so I’d like some advice as to if it is possible to get an s3 engine in here, it’s a front wheel drive obviously so I wouldn’t expect it but some have said you can so I’m at crossroads here. Just can’t deal with the 1.6’s lack of power at the moment.

Note: yes I’m aware it’s costly, yes I’m aware it could mean expensive repairs in the long run, yes I’m aware I might aswell sell it on and buy the actual thing and yes I’m aware I need to upgrade brakes and suspension, he’s got most parts just need to know what could be done with the gearbox and engine compatibility.

Many thanks

Why not seen how much he wants for full running gear? As in brakes, suspension and engine? Or just full car and then you have a full Donor car and can split the rest yourself and get the money back? That's if you have space. Could you do the work yourself? I don't have experience with audi engine swaps but seen it plenty with other cars, can't see much of an issue Unless someone else can clear it up. I'd expect you would may need the loom and inner loom and clocks? I don't really know.

Is an s3 out of price range now? Maybe worth making a list of that everything would cost and Pro's and cons?

Why not buy the whole car, strip yours and transfer everything to your shell?

Would the floor pan of the 1.6 accommodate Quattro running gear? Would all the rear mounting points be there? (I’m guessing so?)

If you have time and money you could try to retrofit everything into your shell but you’ll need everything including dash clocks, suspension, brakes, ecu & loom, everything.

Or, get another donor A3/S3 and get a quality repairer to do a roof conversion.

Bit off topic but they are breaking an S3 sportback? Are the side skirts available? Been trying to get some of months and just cant seem to get my hands on any for a decent price.

Also would be a amazing to see a build like this

It would possibly be achievable, but you would need a lot of expertise and money to pull it off.
I would assume that if you fitted the engine and ECU etc, the ECU would be looking to transfer power to the rear when needed and probably give fault codes/limp mode if the Haldex isn't detected, so that may need coding out.
Quite a few Audi bits require special tools and they would need buying in advance of the work, so factor in the expense of that.

You've probably already thought of most potential problems, so good luck if you go ahead with it.

Boot floor is higher on Quattros to accommodate the rear axle and diff.
It’ll be a hell of a project if you do it but sensible thing would to be - buy an S3 and cheaper in the long run.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
I would do it if they are offering the bits for next to nothing also your insurance may go up a bit

Why not seen how much he wants for full running gear? As in brakes, suspension and engine? Or just full car and then you have a full Donor car and can split the rest yourself and get the money back? That's if you have space. Could you do the work yourself? I don't have experience with audi engine swaps but seen it plenty with other cars, can't see much of an issue Unless someone else can clear it up. I'd expect you would may need the loom and inner loom and clocks? I don't really know.

Is an s3 out of price range now? Maybe worth making a list of that everything would cost and Pro's and cons?
Very fair point, again it’s a project thing and so I’d rather take the longer route with it. I’ve got a few good family friends working in some good garages nearby but I just wanted to get a clear idea if s3 engines were the way to go or 2.0tfsi and if there’s any difference in difficulty

Would the floor pan of the 1.6 accommodate Quattro running gear? Would all the rear mounting points be there? (I’m guessing so?)

If you have time and money you could try to retrofit everything into your shell but you’ll need everything including dash clocks, suspension, brakes, ecu & loom, everything.

Or, get another donor A3/S3 and get a quality repairer to do a roof conversion.

Yeah Quattro is possible to get retrofitted I’d just have to clear space in the boot for that but I was looking towards getting the Edition 30 Golf engines which are essentially S3 engines in a fwd format. My best bet might be to find a pan roof for sale somewhere and just repair his if all else fails

Bit off topic but they are breaking an S3 sportback? Are the side skirts available? Been trying to get some of months and just cant seem to get my hands on any for a decent price.

Also would be a amazing to see a build like this
Pm me pal He’s got a set in white like yours I believe

It would possibly be achievable, but you would need a lot of expertise and money to pull it off.
I would assume that if you fitted the engine and ECU etc, the ECU would be looking to transfer power to the rear when needed and probably give fault codes/limp mode if the Haldex isn't detected, so that may need coding out.
Quite a few Audi bits require special tools and they would need buying in advance of the work, so factor in the expense of that.

You've probably already thought of most potential problems, so good luck if you go ahead with it.
Best bet might be to just go for a fwd 2.0 tfsi to save myself hassle on the implications with haldex.

And cheers I appreciate it

Boot floor is higher on Quattros to accommodate the rear axle and diff.
It’ll be a hell of a project if you do it but sensible thing would to be - buy an S3 and cheaper in the long run.
Wouldn’t be a daily driver or anything, just a crazy build. Got time to spare and the money isn’t an issue with what I’ve seen so far aha, see your point though pal, insurers hate modified vehicles especially to this extent of engine fiddling

I would do it if they are offering the bits for next to nothing also your insurance may go up a bit
Spoke to my insurer and they’ve quoted me (based on the engine change and window tints) an amount I’m not entirely thrown off with to be fair

On eBay an Ed 30 engine is available for 1800 quid....turbo not included !!!!!!