Audi S3 8L boosting late(?)

Callhome

Reaction score
Hi guys! Greetings from Norway!

First of all, let me just say that i am stunned by many of the guys in this forum, and all their knowledge! Thats why i hope someone here can help me with a little issue.

Just bought this car, after testing a few other S3's, this one was the prettiest exterior and interior-wise.

But i have, i think, a bit of an engine problem. The car does not boost until 3000 RPM's. I can hear the turbo spool at around 2000 RPM, but nothing really happens until 3000. The other S3's i've tested went much better low down, and has the same spec's (3'' exhaust and downpipe, remapped, TFSI ignition coils).

The way the car behaves is like when the car starts to boost, it's kind of like a little deadspot mid-boost that i barely feel. It also feels like the car WANTS to go faster, but something is holding it back.

My first thoughts is the actuator(?) wastegate or something. Anybody have clue?

I have heard of tired actuators and sticking not sure if that would be your problem. Sorry can't help but I'm sure some one will be along soon and give you some answers. Have you any fault codes up? Maybe scan it with vagcom not a generic scanner as they don't pick up all audi codes.

Reactions: Seanchadwick2k3
As above you could do with logging g boost requested Vs actual using something like vcds. Had a similar problem on my Passat and Mondeo and it was a sticky turbo. A blast of Mr muscle and it was sorted although it is best practice to get the turbo open and properly cleaned. This may not be your issue but I had similar symptoms on multiple vehicles.

3k boost is pretty normal. Maybe you have a leak especially hearing it spool up? When I fitted FMIC it was leaking and a really high pitched whistle.

I have heard of tired actuators and sticking not sure if that would be your problem. Sorry can't help but I'm sure some one will be along soon and give you some answers. Have you any fault codes up? Maybe scan it with vagcom not a generic scanner as they don't pick up all audi codes.

Thanks for the reply.

Have been trying to get a hold of a Vagcom, but no luck yet. Will continue trying. Thanks :)

If you buy a cheap blue kkl lead from ebay you can use vcdslite for free but you cannot log with the free version.
But you can use the kkl lead with me7logger (a bit hit or miss on whether it works on the S3, it didn't for me on my AMK) or you can use android torque pro (£2.69) with a bluetooth adapter (£5) to perform some basic logging.

3k boost is pretty normal. Maybe you have a leak especially hearing it spool up? When I fitted FMIC it was leaking and a really high pitched whistle.

Hi!

I did actualle have a good few hoses that had holes in them, and i have now changed them. Changed 4 or 5 vacuum-hoses. Though without any difference. Might be more leaking. Will check!

I can however hear the turbo hiss and whistle, but i guess this is because i have an open filter..

If you buy a cheap blue kkl lead from ebay you can use vcdslite for free but you cannot log with the free version.
But you can use the kkl lead with me7logger (a bit hit or miss on whether it works on the S3, it didn't for me on my AMK) or you can use android torque pro (£2.69) with a bluetooth adapter (£5) to perform some basic logging.

Hi!

Thanks for the details! This is an APY engine, so i guess its a lost cause with the me7logger since that is and older engine than the AMK.. Will try to log definitely!

As above you could do with logging g boost requested Vs actual using something like vcds. Had a similar problem on my Passat and Mondeo and it was a sticky turbo. A blast of Mr muscle and it was sorted although it is best practice to get the turbo open and properly cleaned. This may not be your issue but I had similar symptoms on multiple vehicles.

Thanks! Will try to clean out the turbo and see if that helps :)