The mission continues..new electrical problem..battery?

KIll_the_cameras

Reaction score
Hi,

So on my continued mission to get EVERYTHING working on my '06 A4 CAB after buying it 3 weeks ago..I thought I was just about there apart from the alarm problem...until today...

Set off down the road...lights on the dash flicker, warning lights all on, car dies, back on, centre display showing random crap. Turn off ignition then back on..all good. The clock has also reset a couple of times over the last week...so...

Bad battery? It cranks well tho..but could it randomly be shorting out (buckled plates or something), or just sick. Normally when a battery dies, the cranking gets more and more tired.

Any ideas greatly appreciated! :)

Failing batteries can cause a strange array of electrical problems. The ECU rations power to essential "get me to my destination" items and limits power to things like ABS, ICE, some power steering/stabilisation facilities, central locking/alarm and stop-start in newer cars. I would get the battery checked and also make sure it is the right power/spec for your car - it has been known for people to stick in an under-powered (cheaper) battery to sell a car causing the ECU to act similarly to a correct but old failing battery.

Lift the front carpet passenger side & look for evidence of water. common for the cabs to flood here & the comfort ecu module lives there, they fill with water & they are then b*****ed.

The resetting clock is a sign that the battery voltage has dropped extremely low on occasions, albeit perhaps just for a very short time. I encountered similar problems with a Vauxhall a number of years back. The car seemed to crank and start ok, but there were odd warning bleeps and clock resets during starting. The battery was tested and replaced by Vauxhall, luckily under warranty, and all was fine.
JS

I've faced such a problem and I know what a pain to understand that you have problems with battery. As far as I know sometimes the problem is in it's low power or voltage. I've solved my issue with help of battery maintainer, you can choose one from this review list(carinmydna.com battery). Also You can go to some specialized station in order to charge your battery for 24 hours and then try again. If that will not help then you can be sure that your battetry is broken.