Intermittent red light

EvilSmoothie

Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 2014 A3 Sport and have noticed something that is really quite minor but worrying it may be a sign of something more serious failing.

On the driver door there is a red light by the door handle next to the lock buttons. I assume it lights up red when the doors lock and they generally automatically lock when I drive away. There seems to be no logic as to when then light will be lit or not. sometimes it will randomly illuminate mid journey, sometimes be on all the time and others times not come on at all. I also noticed a few times that the window switch has not worked on the setting to automatically pull the window to fully closed and needs to be held until the window reaches closed. It's only done it a few times but again wonder if it's related and if there is a more sknsiter underlying issue.

Finally last time it went into Audi they said the car report a fault with the passenger door lock. We went over and tried it and found the door seemed to lock perfectly fine. I said i would just keep an eye on it and every time I have checked it it has locked ok but suspect it to be related to the light...

Does anybody have any suggestions on troubleshooting this or is it going to be a trip into the garage for diagnostics. Is something to worry about?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like a dodgy connection in the wiring into the door to me. Intermittent faults are always a pain :-(

Have you checked the rubber seals around the windows?
Water can get in and can cause intermittent faults with the door modules.

Water leaking into the door was first though. I did look at the seal and it seemed ok thought. May have to take the door panel off and see if there's any sign of water damage?

Could be the drains in the doors that’s blocked as well. To a point it’s meant to let in water but it should come out the bottom.