1 tyre or 2 sir?

CarloS3

Reaction score
hi all, got myself a slow puncture.

Seems to be a grey area as to whether you should replace just one tyre, replace both on the same axle, or just replace all four on a Quattro

In my mind I need to be replacing the two in the same axle... as long as they’re the same brand as the ones on the other axle? Frustrating as I probably have another 18 months on the other tyre on the axle - anyone in the market for a part worn p Zero?:’)

Attachments

• 473FB455-15F4-40B6-9BDC-5FA132596D0E.jpeg
    473FB455-15F4-40B6-9BDC-5FA132596D0E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
I always do the two on the same axle, you aren't going to get the same wear on the other axle

Reactions: Jassyo06
Av got 4 mm all round after 10k miles very soft miles may l add,defo fit 2 new to the fronts

No need for 2 if you have plenty tread left. #savetheplanet

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I had the car in for a service, they recommended front tyres only, not necessary to do all 4 on a haldex (according to the dealer). I once made the mistake of owning a Subaru Legacy, that was a different story, all 4 tyres needed due to being AWD (full time).

I had the car in for a service, they recommended front tyres only, not necessary to do all 4 on a haldex (according to the dealer). I once made the mistake of owning a Subaru Legacy, that was a different story, all 4 tyres needed due to being AWD (full time).

That sounds like a money making scam to me.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
That sounds like a money making scam to me.
In the case of Subarus I believe its to do with them having a centre-diff.

"The reason for this is your center differential, the part of the drive train directly behind the transmission that splits power between the front and rear axles. You will have a slightly different radius on your old tires as compared to any new tires you put on. Driving the car like this will cause your c-diff to continually be compensating for the variance. Since c-diffs are not designed to do this, it will overheat and wear out"

So as soon as there is any difference front to back you need 4 new tyres even if there is loads of tread left?

So as soon as there is any difference front to back you need 4 new tyres even if there is loads of tread left?

Not on the S3, it’s not perm 4 wheel drive, so naturally the fronts and rears won’t always match. Just match the axels within reason.

That's what people keep telling me but I have just put a new set of tyres on and the old set had worn down at exactly the same rate.

That's what people keep telling me but I have just put a new set of tyres on and the old set had worn down at exactly the same rate.

I did all 4 same time after 18,000 but the fronts were a bit lower on mine. Mostly motorway miles

Reactions: mikemod
That could be the difference, very few motorway miles for me, mostly A and B roads.

Reactions: TYb