The rear wiper thing, but not as you know it......

Hedski

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions.

Yesterday I closed the tailgate on my A3 sportback and the rear wiper started sweeping continuously. The stalk was in the normal position (not active). When pushed forward it went to the regular intermittent sweep but pull back to middle and off it went at full chat again. I have removed the fuse to stop it. When pushing the stalk forward I can hear the switch behind the dash working. Front wipers and all wash functions fine front and rear. No lock or parking sensor issues. Took inside tailgate panel off, no damp. Unscrewed motor back plate, no water leaked. Washer hose secure with no leaks. Both washer nozzles spray and cleaned by me since I bought the car in August.

Anyone any suggestion? I think I’ll be wasting time replacing motor as it parks correctly when on intermittent etc. And it happened on a dry day but cold and car had been sat for 2 weeks beforehand while I was away. Plus it activated when I slammed tailgate shut.

HELP Please. Thanks.

I’d be inclined to suspect the wiring that goes between the tailgate and the body; perhaps peel back the rubber boot and see if the wires are damaged inside, the wiper motor is obviously getting a power feed when it shouldn’t?
I had an Audi 80 Avant once that each time the tailgate was slammed shut the car would lock itself, LOL , due to damaged wiring in this area...
If all is OK with the wiring I’d examine the wiper motor again, I’ve had rear wiper motors fail (ie developing a life of their own ) on both A3 and A4 models that on first glance inside were ok but after digging out all the grease etc in the mechanism they were corroded electrically inside due to the washer pipe leaking inside the motor.

Reactions: Hedski