1.4 tfsi starting issue

rob0904

Reaction score
Hi, came to our 2012 1.4 tfsi this morning tried to start it and it just turned over no signs of life. So tried a few more times and it started to chug a bit. Got it started in the end but was running rough for a few seconds then seem to idle normally. Turned it off and started it again this time it started fine.

No warning lights came on. It was like there was no fuel.

Is there anything I can test or looked for to see what's happening.

Any help would be great.

Rob

This could be a lot of things - poor spark, a vacuum pipework leak causing the starting mixture to be too weak or an injector problem which could be sub-standard fuel delivery or a leaking injector dripping overnight and saturating a plug. The car is relatively new and if it has been well serviced, I would guess at an injector issue. Personally, I would start by sticking some injector cleaner through the system e.g. reddex, check for any fault codes in the ECU and keep and eye on it and monitor when it happened to help future problem solving if it didn't go away.

Yeah, cars sat since Thursday night.... I will plug it in to have a look to see if anything is flagged up....

It's like there is no fuel and it takes and few cycles to get the fuel thru.

I will put up my findings

Thanks

Right plug the a1 in got p0303 and p0300 codes.

Cleared them started it up not come back on yet. What else can I check with vag com?

Rob

Started fine this morning after since yesterday afternoon, 14 or so hours. I will have to wait and see what happens when it's left for a longer period of time.

Those are just generic "misfire" codes which unfortunately do not pinpoint anything specific. Looking at simple things first, when were the spark plugs last changed? Audi (like many others) tend to leave them in for 4-years and if the main dealership servicing is interrupted or switched elsewhere, it is possible that they get overlooked.

Should of been changed in the last service which was this summer. They were ticked in the service book hahaha

I will have to see when it happens again.