Strange noise

Tictap

Reaction score
It sounds like I have a rattle can in my boot and randomly when going round corners or braking hard it sounds like the metal ball in the can moving around, my boots empty and I’ve removed the spare and tools but it’s still there. Any ideas?

Nail in tyre? Wheel bearing?
Thanks for suggestion, checked tyres this afternoon and can’t see anything in them, the cars just gone 2 years old so I don’t think it’ll be a bearing. Back to head scratching.

A puzzle. I dropped a screw down the gap where the seat belt buckle comes out from the rear bench seat. Drove me nuts. Had to take out the rear bench seat. Found screw. Noise gone!

Screw was under here, rolled around when braking etc

IMG 1442

Last edited:
A puzzle. I dropped a screw down the gap where the seat belt buckle comes out from the rear bench seat. Drove me nuts. Had to take out the rear bench seat. Found screw. Noise gone!

Screw was under here, rolled around when braking etc

View attachment 170679
I wonder if that’s my issue, how easy is it to remove the rear seat?

Easy but scary. It takes a lot of force to overcome the clips and it feels as if something is going to break catastrophically. I found the instructions for how to do it on here. Basically you pull up at the front edge, there are 2 very strong clips. You can see where the clips go in the photo I posted earlier (at the front of the bench area in the grey carpet, two black clip holders).

I correct myself. Wasn't a screw, it was a nut.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
No problem. Before you pull the car apart maybe go out with a passenger who can try to locate where the noise is coming from. It's almost impossible whilst driving. Even better someone else drives and you try to locate the source of the noise.

No problem. Before you pull the car apart maybe go out with a passenger who can try to locate where the noise is coming from. It's almost impossible whilst driving. Even better someone else drives and you try to locate the source of the noise.
Yeah i might do that first, means giving the Mrs my keys though!!

I take it that you’ve previously dropped something in that area then, otherwise you’ll be ripping out the rear seats for nothing and could potentially cause some damage.

If you haven’t then think carefully before removing the rear seats, something could break and all for nothing.

If you HAVENT dropped anything in that area then chances are you are barking up the wrong tree.

I take it that you’ve previously dropped something in that area then, otherwise you’ll be ripping out the rear seats for nothing and could potentially cause some damage.

If you haven’t then think carefully before removing the rear seats, something could break and all for nothing.

If you HAVENT dropped anything in that area then chances are you are barking up the wrong tree.

Yes I quite agree hence the suggestion to try to find the source of the noise before doing anything drastic.

I've only had the car since June so I was thinking maybe the previous owner had, I'm going to get the wife to drive it around for a bit while i sit in the back and hopefully track it a bit better.