£500 for 1st service (plus extras) WTF?!

My car went in for its first service yesterday, I have no idea what my local Audi would have quoted as the car came with 2 services included, having read through this thread I’m ****** glad that it did!

Reactions: tickedon
Just got a quote for interim (1 year, in my case 4,500 mile) service/oil change from Wimbledon Audi. Pleasantly surprised at £170 Inc VAT...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: scobie140, tickedon and WesT-gefül
What is the service interval on the new 2.0 150 TFSI engines? Im only expecting to have to service mine once in the 3 years based on the assumption it is 2 years or every 18,000 miles.

As according to website I think - don't expect the new facelift models to be any different.
When should I service my Audi?
There are two types of service schedule available: Fixed (serviced every 9,000 miles/1 year) and Flexible (up to 19,000 miles/2 years). We recommend a Flexible schedule for people who drive longer distances, typically on motorways and main roads, while a Fixed schedule is right for lower-mileage drivers who do more city and town centre driving. Speak to your Audi Centre to find out more.

Reactions: liveseytowers
I just got a quote from my local dealership for an inspection service (19k miles). £177. For them to look around the car for 10 minutes and make sure it's alright?! Mad.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
What is the service interval on the new 2.0 150 TFSI engines? Im only expecting to have to service mine once in the 3 years based on the assumption it is 2 years or every 18,000 miles.
How many miles do you drive in a year and what type of driving conditions?

How many miles do you drive in a year and what type of driving conditions?

I do about 10k a year. Daily commute is 10 miles each way and a mix of motorway and A4 road to get to the motorway. Then longer drives at the weekend. I tend to avoid stop start traffic if possible.

Main dealer servicing is a rip off. Couple of main dealers close to me offer service plans BUT won't do them on RS,S or R8 models untill they are 3+ years old.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Daggerit
I just got a quote from my local dealership for an inspection service (19k miles). £177. For them to look around the car for 10 minutes and make sure it's alright?! Mad.

And that'll probably be performed by a junior mechanic/apprentice. Having worked in this industry in the past, I know that revenue from Aftersales makes up the main chunk of their profits, at least here in the UK. Servicing jobs carry a lot of margins especially these regular 'basic' checks on 1 or 2 year old cars. Most of the time, there's nothing to report on these cars (at least nothing of any significance or related to safety) given how new they still are, but they still charge the customer stipud amounts of money and the customer simply pays up, most of them without even shopping around first.

Vast majority of the time, new car sales don't make any money except for "OEM bonuses" (i.e. payments from the manufacturers for achieving various targets), hence margins from aftersales become even more important to sustain their business

Reactions: liveseytowers
And that'll probably be performed by a junior mechanic/apprentice. Having worked in this industry in the past, I know that revenue from Aftersales makes up the main chunk of their profits, at least here in the UK. Servicing jobs carry a lot of margins especially these regular 'basic' checks on 1 or 2 year old cars. Most of the time, there's nothing to report on these cars (at least nothing of any significance or related to safety) given how new they still are, but they still charge the customer stipud amounts of money and the customer simply pays up, most of them without even shopping around first.

Vast majority of the time, new car sales don't make any money except for "OEM bonuses" (i.e. payments from the manufacturers for achieving various targets), hence margins from aftersales become even more important to sustain their business

For sure! My local indi who I got the last oil change with is quoting £60-70 so I think I'll be going to them again...

I did ask them about updates to the gearbox/engine/etc. and if they do them as part of things because they have the Audi Odis setup. They said that neither they or Audi do them unless there's been something from Audi to say that it needs done? And they need a code or something each time they perform an update apparently? Don't know how true that is but he said it was a pain because they used to just scan and then update to the most recent version each time a car was in...

It's strange how audi seperate these services on a flexible plan. On a fixed service this is all performed together with the oil service and is basically a major service.
A technician performed mine at my last two year service with a report and an accompanying video as well.

Yup. Total ploy this inspection business. I always say this, But that’s daylight robbery. I’m moving to 9k fixed as I like to change my oil regularly anyway. Do my oil change twice, once before winter and once after winter which works out perfectly. Getting a major service done for free after my gearbox replacement and having to go back and forth after the first few attempts failed.

Reactions: Daggerit
Yup. Total ploy this inspection business. I always say this, But that’s daylight robbery. I’m moving to 9k fixed as I like to change my oil regularly anyway. Do my oil change twice, once before winter and once after winter which works out perfectly. Getting a major service done for free after my gearbox replacement and having to go back and forth after the first few attempts failed.

Totally agree. I like my local garage and they quoted £70 and can update all the online stuff for the car as well so I’d be stupid to go to Audi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Audi probably charge you £100 just for the oil. We Audi owners need to be afraid of local Indy. My local Indy also strips, cleans and services my brakes each visit . They are family run and I trust them and know the guy who is servicing my car.

Flipping 'eck, makes my £9.56 a month service plan over three years one heck of a bargain...

Flipping 'eck, makes my £9.56 a month service plan over three years one heck of a bargain...

Probably helps that your oil is significantly cheaper than mine and you need less of it. The service plan for my car was something like £26 a month which wasn’t really worth it for me... £87 if you took the service, brakes and tyres option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk