I apologise for even asking.

WTF,

I've Looked at this thread a few times.

Have we only just found out the car has a pish tuning chip installed that tricks car into simply ******* more fuel into the system for some modist gains while screwing up the DPF?

Have I over simplified this or missed something?

It ain’t just some cheap **** tuning box, it’s dtuk. Hundreds of people on this group have used them & swear by it. So yes I would say you’ve missed something.

Just out of interest, what does the tuning box do?

I would agree the dtuk tuning box get great reviews but with any map and emmisions update mpg seems to nose dive.

Looking to get my update reversed b4 mapping. :racer:

My golf mk6 2.0tdi was in vw and they wanted to do emmision update on that last week declined it but had other work done around 180bhp mapped (previously 140bhp) and got 65mpg on 240mile trip to Cambridge its quick too (for a 2.0 tdi) much quicker the a4

Reactions: Maco
I would agree the dtuk tuning box get great reviews but with any map and emmisions update mpg seems to nose dive.

Looking to get my update reversed b4 mapping. :racer:

Seen a few people else where say that the emissions update really does affect the mpg. Don’t really want to invest anymore money into the A4 if I’m honest, if it was a car I loved then I would. But unfortunately I don’t.

Reactions: Marky007
That link doesn't really say much, what does it do to the fuelling profile, boost map, emissions control systems, engine protection settings, etc. etc.
It could well just be powering a ton of fuel in, making smoke, clogging DPF and causing endless regens.
Probably worth taking off to see what difference it makes .

That link doesn't really say much, what does it do to the fuelling profile, boost map, emissions control systems, engine protection settings, etc. etc.
It could well just be powering a ton of fuel in, making smoke, clogging DPF and causing endless regens.
Probably worth taking off to see what difference it makes .

Definitely no smoke, in all honesty it could be the box but I’d be surprised as the reviews on here are excellent. I was on the dtuk what’s app with all the other Audi drivers and every review was positive for power & mpg. Would You expect mpg returns as low as 22mpg just from a tuning box?

Definitely no smoke, in all honesty it could be the box but I’d be surprised as the reviews on here are excellent. I was on the dtuk what’s app with all the other Audi drivers and every review was positive for power & mpg. Would You expect mpg returns as low as 22mpg just from a tuning box?
There wouldn't be any smoke, it'll all be clogging your DPF if its making any and the car could be up to all sorts if the tuning box is fighting against it and ******* fuel down the drain.
I really do think its worth taking it off and seeing what difference it makes, my missus has a Sharan with a 140 bhp TDI engine which has had the emissions update and is a big old bus. That will easily do 50mpg on a run so that should be doable.

I'm not sure a tuning box is even remotely the same as a map. All it can do is intercept signals and fool the ECU into thinking the signals are different from reality.m, this isn't understanding of these boxes, happy to be corrected though.

I'm thinking that this box along with the possible update for emissions this could well be a very likely cause for the problem if not a significant contributor to them at the least.

Mentioning this pretty significant modification at the start would have been helpful.

Mentioning this pretty significant modification at the start would have been helpful.

When you pay £400 for a product that’s suppose to improve mpg & when pretty much every member on a Audi group recommend it for your car you wouldn’t really expect it to cause dramatic mpg problems.

I just can't see it.

Car manufacturers are 100% driven to get better economy and lower emissions from their vehicles, normally at the detriment of reliability. EGR valves, direct injection and PCV systems to name a few that I believe cause more problems with black crap eventually clogging an engine after its out of warranty. That's just the cynic in me.

I just can't in my mind conceive that a device that can only fool an ECU into doing things it shouldn't as it is fed fake values can suddenly make better fuel economy.

More power yes as it can definitely make it add more fuel.

I can see that somebody spending £400 on a device would convince themselves it does what it claims.

I just can't see it.

Car manufacturers are 100% driven to get better economy and lower emissions from their vehicles, normally at the detriment of reliability. EGR valves, direct injection and PCV systems to name a few that I believe cause more problems with black **** eventually clogging an engine after its out of warranty. That's just the cynic in me.

I just can't in my mind conceive that a device that can only fool an ECU into doing things it shouldn't as it is fed fake values can suddenly make better fuel economy.

More power yes as it can definitely make it add more fuel.

I can see that somebody spending £400 on a device would convince themselves it does what it claims.

Completely agree that some people are blind sided & wouldn’t dare say that a device they paid £400 isn’t working. It’s definitely producing more power because without it the car is extremely flat, but in your personally opinion would you expect a tuning box that’s over fuelling to make the car around 50% less in fuel efficiency?

but in your personally opinion would you expect a tuning box that’s over fuelling to make the car around 50% less in fuel efficiency?

You have effectively answered your own question.

Hypothetically, if it’s over fuelling and burning twice as much fuel then it’s only half as efficient which will result in half as many miles!

Last edited:
You have effectively answered your own question.

Hypothetically, if it’s over fuelling and burning twice as much fuel then it’s only half as efficient which will result in half as many miles!

Twice as much fuelling seems like a hell of a lot, 15/20% for increased performance wouldn’t seem to bad but 50%? Last calculations I was getting 22mpg on local non motorway trips

If in combination with other faults/Audi emissions map or something else then yes it might be compounding a problem.

But I think your right it can't be causing a 50% drop all on its own.

But being plug in it is at least very quick to eliminate the device as part of the problem by unplugging it for a bit.

Just thought I'd add my 2pennies worth.

I've got 170bhp 2tdi Quattro, with dtuk tunning box. Costs around £75 to fill my car up, brim to brim. Before the tuning box of get about 450 miles per tank..... 500 at a push (doing 60 - 65mph). With the box fitted I now get 550 + miles doing 70mph (obviously on motorways). These are from doing motor way and city driving.

The box makes a massive difference (in my opinion) with added pull down lower rev range. Although i do reckon inlets may need s good clean out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd add my 2pennies worth.

I've got 170bhp 2tdi Quattro, with dtuk tunning box. Costs around £75 to fill my car up, brim to brim. Before the tuning box of get about 450 miles per tank..... 500 at a push (doing 60 - 65mph). With the box fitted I now get 550 + miles doing 70mph (obviously on motorways). These are from doing motor way and city driving.

The box makes a massive difference (in my opinion) with added pull down lower rev range. Although i do reckon inlets may need s good clean out.

What’s your calculations for mpg, I’m guessing at low 40’s? But you’ve got a Quattro so it should be slightly worse on diesel than mine.

What’s your calculations for mpg, I’m guessing at low 40’s? But you’ve got a Quattro so it should be slightly worse on diesel than mine.
Never thought about it too much. The trip computer says around 50mpg when driving to work.

But, going by the tank being 65 litres and doing 550 miles to a tank. There being 14.298 uk gallons to a litre it comes out at 38.5mpg ....... pish.....lol. That disappoints me.....only mildly though haha, enjoy my car too much

Never thought about it too much. The trip computer says around 50mpg when driving to work.

But, going by the tank being 65 litres and doing 550 miles to a tank. There being 14.298 uk gallons to a litre it comes out at 38.5mpg ....... pish.....lol. That disappoints me.....only mildly though haha, enjoy my car too much

Suppose that’s all that matters, if I absolutely loved my a4 then I’m guessing I wouldn’t even be thinking about the mpg.

Suppose that’s all that matters, if I absolutely loved my a4 then I’m guessing I wouldn’t even be thinking about the mpg.
I've had it nearly 5 years and only things I've really had done are servicing/cam belt water pump, brakes, front wheel bearings, rear shocks, steering knuckle and chose to have the clutch changed. Can't complain with overall reliability with mine. Still like going on drives in it. I must be easily pleased lol

I put £50 diesel (shell 128.9p fuel save) in mine yesterday refuel light had just come on got 480 miles showing of range been doing all town driving.

Going to try a egr blanking plate with hole (hopfully keep light out )to keep crap out inlet.

I put £50 diesel (shell 128.9p fuel save) in mine yesterday refuel light had just come on got 480 miles showing of range been doing all town driving.

Going to try a egr blanking plate with hole (hopfully keep light out )to keep **** out inlet.

Mine shows 500 mile range to £75 of diesel at £1.33.

Mine shows 500 mile range to £75 of diesel at £1.33.
To be fair when I do full tank in mine it never moves over 585 miles of range in town driving or motorway driving it's stayed at 585 miles for nearly 100 miles before moving to 580 few months back on 240 mile trip

To be fair when I do full tank in mine it never moves over 585 miles of range in town driving or motorway driving it's stayed at 585 miles for nearly 100 miles before moving to 580 few months back on 240 mile trip

Mines the completely opposite mate, travel 2/3 mile and it drops 5 mile on the range. Just for people out there who said remove the DTUK box, I did that 2 days ago & it’s no better at all. Maybe slightly worse. On Board computer is now showing 35 mpg which seems more realistic than what it was showing. Haven’t been anywhere over the Christmas period so have had no reason to fill the car so been chucking £20’s in here & there and it’s struggling to do 70/80 mile to £20. Once the wife is back to work in the new year I’ll do a brim and see what it returns.

Could be worth giving your egr a clean out it's on my list of things to do . . .

I would say that clogged could be a mpg issue also :racer:

I've just done approx 200 mile mostly motorway journey today and averaged 55mpg doing steady 65/70mph (had fun last month, this month I'm driving Miss Daisy).

Looks and sounds like something is amiss in yours...