Folding mirrors retrofit

It’s already flooded there are very few in the uk that are folding. Just shows you not hardly anyone specs them for folding...

For me adding folding mirrors pushes me over the £40k mark and that would mean £310 extra road tax every year for 5 years so would have made it a costly option.
Another reason is you expect a premium car to have this as factory fit. Ford has been fitting these standard for years. Every merc I’ve had or driven has had these. Only audi has these as options.
Fairly easy retrofit and I reckon once I sell the bits leftover it would have cost me in the region of £2-300. Just lucky I didn’t need modules.
Still need to find the part number for that bezel/ring for the switch to complete it. It looks strange in the dark with the folding switch under the non folding switch rings. Looks like a greyed out button.

I have a Skoda Octavia the elegance version and it’s got them and power tailgate! Do you have auto hold on yours?

I have a Skoda Octavia the elegance version and it’s got them and power tailgate! Do you have auto hold on yours?
Got hill hold assist which I think is standard now, tech pack black edition with roof rails and now folding mirror.

picked up my new a3 a few weeks ago and the only option i forgot to tick was folding mirrors but i have the lane assist, side assist etc car is a black edition and i would like to carry out the folding mirror retro fit also.
im a bit confused about what part numbers i need and and any info would be great . i keep seeing 6+2 wires?

can i use older mirrors example 2015 or do i need 2017>..
any advise on which mirrors i need would be great help.

i can get the coding done and not to bothered about the switch at the moment.

cheers for the replys

picked up my new a3 a few weeks ago and the only option i forgot to tick was folding mirrors but i have the lane assist, side assist etc car is a black edition and i would like to carry out the folding mirror retro fit also.
im a bit confused about what part numbers i need and and any info would be great . i keep seeing 6+2 wires?

any advise on which mirrors i need would be great help.

i can get the coding done and not to bothered about the switch at the moment.

cheers for the replys

Not sure about the side assists. My new one came with the side assist cable inside the housing but not sure if they all have it as my original ones didn’t. You will also need the light as well I assume. Probably a bit more work than fitting mine. Maybe someone here has done it and can help.

Not all folding mirror have the additional connector with 2 wires for the side assist indicator. You should look for mirrors with 10+2 wires on driver side and 12+2 wires on passenger side (driver side mirrors have 2 wires for a possible auto-dimming glass which may be present or not, and passenger mirror typically doesn't have wiring for auto-dimming glass but the motor has 4 additional wires for the glass position memory). Also make sure the mirror bases are specific for RHD cars. LHD bases are angled differently and you can not compensate for the wrong angling by adjusting the glass position. Sorry for not having the part numbers. I'm not sure about any difference between PFL and FL mirrors but I'm using 2017 mirrors in my 2015 car with no problems whatsoever.

Not all folding mirror have the additional connector with 2 wires for the side assist indicator. You should look for mirrors with 10+2 wires on driver side and 12+2 wires on passenger side (driver side mirrors have 2 wires for a possible auto-dimming glass which may be present or not, and passenger mirror typically doesn't have wiring for auto-dimming glass but the motor has 4 additional wires for the glass position memory). Also make sure the mirror bases are specific for RHD cars. LHD bases are angled differently and you can not compensate for the wrong angling by adjusting the glass position. Sorry for not having the part numbers. I'm not sure about any difference between PFL and FL mirrors but I'm using 2017 mirrors in my 2015 car with no problems whatsoever.

that rules out aliexpress then as they are all lhd products they sell!

Didn’t even think about the lhd issues when looking for parts.
Is it the whole housing that’s different or just the internal motors bits?

The angles of the housings are different due to the different position of the driver in the car. Motors for glass adjustment and folding also have different signals and in some cases the polarities are reversed. I don't remember all of the signal differences but glass adjustment may move in the Y axis when you use the switch to move in the X axis and the mirror can fold when it should be unfolding. You can simulate that behavior by configuring your door modules checking/unchecking the "RHD car" bit if you are curious.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Not to mention the mirror glass differences, which are pretty obvious. Most cars have an aspherical/wide-angle glass in the driver side and a convex in the passenger side. It would be very strange to have them reversed. Also, cars for the USA market are required to have flat mirror glasses in the driver side. They are impossible to use in the passenger side because the field coverage would be too narrow.

that rules out aliexpress then as they are all lhd products they sell!
me too, just assumed that you would just need to swap the glass from original mirrors.

I almost bought some mirrors from eBay coming from Lithuania or other parts of Europe. Glad I didn’t now. Ended up getting new parts.
From the posts here anything costing from £850-1600 for the retrofit from companies is taking the **** a little. Think only djalix quoting around £600 is a bargain considering what I paid for parts if only he was closer. I would want more than that if I was fitting this for someone :wink:.

The aliexpress and a few on eBay are also not Audi mirrors just clones. I’ve got some from a breakers in Lithuania but off a rhd car.. took a bit of digging to find some on the cheap. Seems a lot more cars there have the better mirrors with side assist as well.

Last time I looked there are different part nos for saloon, sportback and cab models for the mirrors, although I'm unsure of the differences.

Last time I looked there are different part nos for saloon, sportback and cab models for the mirrors, although I'm unsure of the differences.

In looking for bits for mine I found the hatch/sportback/saloon have the same mirrors and the cab has different part numbers.
The variation in part numbers are the different finishes and I think it’s equipment like heated/lane assist/dimming and now I understand lhd and rhd.

Reactions: Mylee
In looking for bits for mine I found the hatch/sportback/saloon have the same mirrors and the cab has different part numbers.
The variation in part numbers are the different finishes and I think it’s equipment like heated/lane assist/dimming and now I understand lhd and rhd.
The mirror bases have different part numbers for a reason, the are all slightly different based on body shape. A good friend of mine breaks “auction” cars as a part time job. One day he had a crash damaged S3 Sportback which had folding mirrors. He stripped them off and sold them and fitted them to a saloon then had me pop over to code them, after which they would not fold correctly as the mirror base would touch the paintwork.

The mirror bases have different part numbers for a reason, the are all slightly different based on body shape. A good friend of mine breaks “auction” cars as a part time job. One day he had a crash damaged S3 Sportback which had folding mirrors. He stripped them off and sold them and fitted them to a saloon then had me pop over to code them, after which they would not fold correctly as the mirror base would touch the paintwork.

I must have got lucky. :wink:

:respekt:

Thanks for the reply guys. was about to order from abroad :confusion: but decided against it.
now its all about sourcing the parts....
Problem being not many cars come with the side assist. if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great. there are just so many options when it comes to part numbers

Since installing the folding mirrors I noticed I’m getting a fault in the gateway module(19).
It keeps coming up with NV-Energy management.
Anyone know what could cause this?

I’ll have a scan of mine with just the coding done see if it’s showing something now then after ive done the mirrors see what happens. My mirrors are still a few days out. Going to have a go getting the TPMS working in mine later.

i was think what if i buy PF mirrors and move the side assist from my mirrors onto the PF set ?
You just need to make sure the cables are there for the side assist light. Mine came with cables there but my originals didn’t have them.

cheers for reply

i thinking i might be able to move cables across or am i being stupid now.
i have located mirrors that have 10 wires on one side and 12 on other and am i right in saying that the +2 wires would be for the assist.
there are a few 3 door mirrors with assist so just need to know if they will fit the the sportback

The 2 for assist are a separate connector. You can get more wires in the main connector for auto dimming.

cheers for reply

i thinking i might be able to move cables across or am i being stupid now.
i have located mirrors that have 10 wires on one side and 12 on other and am i right in saying that the +2 wires would be for the assist.
there are a few 3 door mirrors with assist so just need to know if they will fit the the sportback

It’s not that easy to route cable through the housing. I wouldn’t want to be dismantling the whole housing to get more cables.

I’m almost positive they are the same. Just use the housing part number I posted before and look on eBay I think you will find it’s the same housing for both.

It’s not that easy to route cable through the housing. I wouldn’t want to be dismantling the whole housing to get more cables.
I did that with success once, and you are right, it's really not easy. It's possible to do that without dismantling the housing, but there are other difficulties to consider . The wiring loom is locked in position by a washer in the base of the mirror, and it can be accessed by removing the rubber grommet that closes the base. After removing the washer and disconnecting the connectors inside the mirror, the loom is free to be moved. You also have to remove the two zip ties and the grommet that strangle the plastic sleeve on the loom. There are also the tape wrapped on both ends, and some heat-shrink tubing at the mirror housing end. After removing all that, you could insert more wires into the sleeve and then redo the taping, heat-shrink tube, reinstall the grommet and zip ties and lock the loom again into place. Of course, it only makes sense if you have the right contact terminals and a crimping tool to install them at the ends of the wires you've added so you can fit them in the connector housings. If you don't have the terminals, maybe you can remove the wires and terminals from your old mirror loom in order to move them to the new mirror, but then you must have in mind that it doubles the work.

I did that with success once, and you are right, it's really not easy. It's possible to do that without dismantling the housing, but there are other difficulties to consider . The wiring loom is locked in position by a washer in the base of the mirror, and it can be accessed by removing the rubber grommet that closes the base. After removing the washer and disconnecting the connectors inside the mirror, the loom is free to be moved. You also have to remove the two zip ties and the grommet that strangle the plastic sleeve on the loom. There are also the tape wrapped on both ends, and some heat-shrink tubing at the mirror housing end. After removing all that, you could insert more wires into the sleeve and then redo the taping, heat-shrink tube, reinstall the grommet and zip ties and lock the loom again into place. Of course, it only makes sense if you have the right contact terminals and a crimping tool to install them at the ends of the wires you've added so you can fit them in the connector housings. If you don't have the terminals, maybe you can remove the wires and terminals from your old mirror loom in order to move them to the new mirror, but then you must have in mind that it doubles the work.

i think i'll just look for the correct mirrors as i'm not very patient when it comes to intricate work.

just try to find them now.

Reactions: Rcord
Well got my mirrors both off the same car... passenger side has 14 wires driver 10 is that correct? It better be lol I’m going to plug em in before fitting this time haha

Well got my mirrors both off the same car... passenger side has 14 wires driver 10 is that correct? It better be lol I’m going to plug em in before fitting this time haha
You probably got a passenger mirror with wiring for an auto-dimming mirror glass. Check if there are wires in the positions 2 and 6 on the connector. (Maybe you got really lucky and the seller sold you mirrors with auto-dimming glasses unaware of how expensive they are)

You probably got a passenger mirror with wiring for an auto-dimming mirror glass. Check if there are wires in the positions 2 and 6 on the connector. (Maybe you got really lucky and the seller sold you mirrors with auto-dimming glasses unaware of how expensive they are)

Got quoted £300 for the glass alone in one of my old a6’s.

Thanks for the reply both have wires in the 2 and 6 position. Is there any extra coding I need to get them working? Does the passenger mirror usually have more wires that the driver side?

Thanks for the reply both have wires in the 2 and 6 position. Is there any extra coding I need to get them working? Does the passenger mirror usually have more wires that the driver side?

If I remember right if you take the glass off there will be more wires going to it. Usually just 2 for heating and the glass itself you will see a border around the edge a few millimetres wide.
Not sure about coding as last time I had them it was factory fitted. Appeared to me they turned dark when the interior mirror turned dark. Should be on the drivers side.