How many miles to expect from P zeros

Did'nt get my tyres fitted yesterday...why....i am just going to put another 250 miles on the car this week...then like most of us...l am off for 2 weeks so i'll get them fitted this Friday afternoon and when doing so ask a few questions....that's if they've ordered the correct AO1 tyres

Reactions: pburv
My first set of P-zeros lasted just over 23k, for this reason alone I replaced them like for like. However the second set barely lasted 8k, I will never put a set of P-zeros on the car again.

ln terms of wear....That makes no sense at all.....especially the 23k miles on the factory fitted tyres....l know factory fits do tend to last longer....but you've driven 12k miles more than l did...same car

Reactions: pburv and Ron240
Did'nt get my tyres fitted yesterday...why....i am just going to put another 250 miles on the car this week...then like most of us...l am off for 2 weeks so i'll get them fitted this Friday afternoon and when doing so ask a few questions....that's if they've ordered the correct AO1 tyres
Thanks Jassy, I think mine have a few miles left in them, so I’m in no hurry to replace this month, so would like to be sure it’s money well spent
The next thing to worry about is the way your rims are treated by the tyre fitter!
My local Halfords has two, one younger one who has a nicevFiesta ST who treats them like his own, and another bloke who doesn’t see to give a toss, hoping to get the younger one!

Reactions: pburv, Ron240 and Jassyo06
The next thing to worry about is the way your rims are treated by the tyre fitter!
This is what would worry me the most about getting new tyres fitted, because as you say the fitter can play a part but also the machine being used. I would be checking very closely all round the rim before leaving. ;)
I remember back to my biking days when I had a new Kawasaki ZX-7R which at the time had the widest section standard rear tyre fitted to any bike, and after my rim was scratched by the dealer fitting my new tyre that I had supplied the first thing they asked me was it the standard tyre for my bike.....trying to shift the blame onto me.
Then they admitted the machine had done this before with these tyres. :rage:

Reactions: MikeParkin, pburv and Jassyo06
ln terms of wear....That makes no sense at all.....especially the 23k miles on the factory fitted tyres....l know factory fits do tend to last longer....but you've driven 12k miles more than l did...same car
It really is baffling to hear of the people in this thread getting potentially double the mileage out of the same tyre, especially when we are not abusing it. :blink:

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Thanks Jassy, I think mine have a few miles left in them, so I’m in no hurry to replace this month, so would like to be sure it’s money well spent
My local Halfords has two, one younger one who has a nicevFiesta ST who treats them like his own, and another bloke who doesn’t see to give a toss, hoping to get the younger one!

Yeah mate its a slightly nervy time waiting on the tyre's being being fitted,but like l always do....l am straight to the point.... mess up my wheels even slightly and its a wheel replacement....No refurb....guys and l always make sure my wheels are cleaned before l get new tyres fitted....for the inspection after fitting

Reactions: pburv and Ron240
Ron / Jazzy, agreed the millage achieved is a bit of a mystery. I certainly erm "make progress" when driving , but I am no tyre smoking looney. With my previous FWD Audis, I always got about 15-17K max out of the fronts with the rears only being about 40% worn at the same mileage. I thought (for some reason) the AWD car would spread the wear a bit more evenly rather than increase it all around Hmmm

Jazzy, good idea to clean the rims before fitting to spot damage. I must admit I haven't bothered to do this, as they always seem so cover them in gloop etc, so always need cleaning afterwards!

Ron / Jazzy, agreed the millage achieved is a bit of a mystery. I certainly erm "make progress" when driving , but I am no tyre smoking looney. With my previous FWD Audis, I always got about 15-17K max out of the fronts with the rears only being about 40% worn at the same mileage. I thought (for some reason) the AWD car would spread the wear a bit more evenly rather than increase it all around Hmmm

Jazzy, good idea to clean the rims before fitting to spot damage. I must admit I haven't bothered to do this, as they always seem so cover them in gloop etc, so always need cleaning afterwards!

Tyre wear rate On a S3 the rears always need changing around 1300 miles later mate...give or take.....

Reactions: pburv and Abzz
It really is baffling to hear of the people in this thread getting potentially double the mileage out of the same tyre, especially when we are not abusing it. :blink:
Keeping on top of correct tyre pressures helps to conserve your tread and with the added bonus of better mpg

Reactions: Jassyo06
Keeping on top of correct tyre pressures helps to conserve your tread and with the added bonus of better mpg
True, but I am not sure that's such a big problem with the S3 as it has pressure warning sensors? Mine came up with a warning for low pressure in the front left when it was just 2 lbs down.

I've just replaced the original set of P-Zero's on my S3 Sportback at 17,500 miles. The rears had worn more than the front. I've gone to Michelin PS4 now, car feels much better on those

Reactions: NevMan and Abzz
True, but I am not sure that's such a big problem with the S3 as it has pressure warning sensors? Mine came up with a warning for low pressure in the front left when it was just 2 lbs down.

Hmm, I am old school and test my air pressure every two weeks with a quality (expensive) dial pressure gauge when tyres are cold. Generally they are all down by 1-2 psi and then pump them up with a compressor that I keep in the boot. High and low ambient temperatures also have a bearing on tyre pressures. I have a distinct distaste for on car warning devices, as they can be prone to error faults and give people a false sense of security.
Just a paranoid old f*rts two cents of modern reliance on technology.

My tyre wear is even as it can be on the fronts ie no uneven wear. It's just the type of tyre that's all ideally l should change all 4 to Goodyear assys but my rear tyres have around 5mm left on them , it was serviced just a month ago and the vehicle check list marked them at 5-5 mm tread remaining,so l ain't going to fork out over £500 for 4 new tyres of a different brand

As for you Michelin tyre fans My Mrs car has ps4s tyres and at the front and they ain't wearing particularly well either, be lucky to 12k miles out them....

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
I've just replaced the original set of P-Zero's on my S3 Sportback at 17,500 miles.
The rears had worn more than the front.
Very surprised at this. The tendency should still be for the fronts to wear more than the rears on an S3, or at worst even wear.
What was the difference in tread depth between your front and rears?

Hmm, I am old school and test my air pressure every two weeks with a quality (expensive) dial pressure gauge when tyres are cold. Generally they are all down by 1-2 psi and then pump them up with a compressor that I keep in the boot. High and low ambient temperatures also have a bearing on tyre pressures. I have a distinct distaste for on car warning devices, as they can be prone to error faults and give people a false sense of security.
Just a paranoid old f*rts two cents of modern reliance on technology.
Haha yes for me that maybe slightly OTT for my road car As an Ex Road racer, bikes and cars and a keen cyclist I know the importance of tyre pressures as they used to be checkrd before every practice session race or outing! But I will admit to only checking pressures on my road car before any long drive or judging them by eye and checking them if they look “a bit soft” so I was delighted when I found the S3 had a warning sensor. Perfect for lazy old gits like me

I’ve just replaced the conti’s that came on the car and covered 18,000 miles with Michelin pilot super sport so see how I get on with them.

That's not good Chris :frown:, what did you replace them with?

I replaced them with Hancook Ventus, to be honest this was purely based on it was the only tyre they had 4 of in stock in the size I needed. They are ok but TBH I wouldn't buy another set.

Made no sense to me either, 23k out of one set and less then 8k out of the other.

Very surprised at this. The tendency should still be for the fronts to wear more than the rears on an S3, or at worst even wear.
What was the difference in tread depth between your front and rears?

I was too, would have expected the fronts to have gone first as the engine weight is on the front axle and it being primarily FWD. There was around 1mm difference so not a huge amount. The rears were down to the wear bars

I was too, would have expected the fronts to have gone first as the engine weight is on the front axle and it being primarily FWD. There was around 1mm difference so not a huge amount. The rears were down to the wear bars
Strange.. did the car ever get serviced with the original tyres on? Wondering if they would have swapped the fronts with the rears to even out the wear during the service?

Strange.. did the car ever get serviced with the original tyres on? Wondering if they would have swapped the fronts with the rears to even out the wear during the service?

I serviced it myself, but the car has been in to Audi for warranty work but I cant see them swapping them around and not telling me

Well visited the tyre fitters, l asked if l could see the tyres prior fitting, sure he humph one up on the counter and instantly seen the tyre looked different as it was a RO1 variant... So after some discussions l decided to have them fitted, l hate visiting tyre fitters more l do the dentist .. So to some up P zero RO1 and RO2 variants are of a totally different physical/tread design with no rim protection at all to them, going to change all 4 when the rears need changing not happy guy they look a totally different brand

Reactions: Ron240
Oh ******
Thanks for posting that Jassy, so now to find somewhere that you can get the RO2s
Did they know what you were talking about when you questioned the different types ?
With my old PFL A3 SL, I rang around looking for Conti Sport Contact 5s and one bloke swore to me they didn’t exist and you could only get up to 4s, even though I said my car already had 5s fitted!

Reactions: Pook
Oh ******
Thanks for posting that Jassy, so now to find somewhere that you can get the RO2s
Did they know what you were talking about when you questioned the different types ?
With my old PFL A3 SL, I rang around looking for Conti Sport Contact 5s and one bloke swore to me they didn’t exist and you could only get up to 4s, even though I said my car already had 5s fitted!
RO2 tyres are the exact same as RO1s you need to get AO1"s to match the rears unless your changing all 4 at the same time
RO1 s are ******* UGLY and bare no resemblance to A01 Its that bad l am going to change the fronts again ASAP

Sorry £1500
Road tax £450, service £200 insurance £600 ,, 2 tyres £265
Is the £450 RT because the car was over £40k? From memory I sold the S3 with the original tyres on with around 4mm tread left and 17,000 on the clock.

What are you classing as a "A more ordinary car the next time around"?

It's hard when looking to downsize, like I've said in another post, my mileage is well down on previous years and I've only done 3,800 mile in 14 months....This makes me think can I justify paying £380'ish pm for a car to do so little mileage?!?!? I can afford it and don't need the money for anything else, but it's a lot of money for a car to be sitting either on my drive or in the works car park for most of the time! But then I think would I be happy with a normal car???? Then you look at alternatives Mini Cooper S, Fiesta ST3, Polo GTi, etc all coming in @ around £300...then you think for an extra £20 per week I can have a big posh Audi lol...Decisions decisions :blink:

Is the £450 RT because the car was over £40k? From memory I sold the S3 with the original tyres on with around 4mm tread left and 17,000 on the clock.

What are you classing as a "A more ordinary car the next time around"?

It's hard when looking to downsize, like I've said in another post, my mileage is well down on previous years and I've only done 3,800 mile in 14 months....This makes me think can I justify paying £380'ish pm for a car to do so little mileage?!?!? I can afford it and don't need the money for anything else, but it's a lot of money for a car to be sitting either on my drive or in the works car park for most of the time! But then I think would I be happy with a normal car???? Then you look at alternatives Mini Cooper S, Fiesta ST3, Polo GTi, etc all coming in @ around £300...then you think for an extra £20 per week I can have a big posh Audi lol...Decisions decisions :blink:

Delete the new fiesta ST from yer list trust me you could NOT live with its interior my Mrs has the lesser powered ST-Line and the interior is cheap Tat
A Ordinary car=1 pence under £40k with a nice paint colour good interior circa 250 bhp

Reactions: S32B
OK got it, thanks, I will look for the AO1's. Can see plenty of AO's on line but not AO1's
I have just ordered a set of AO1's via a phone call, getting them fitted January 3rd will sell the RO1s on ebay for £60 each or something

Delete the new fiesta ST from yer list trust me you could NOT live with its interior my Mrs has the lesser powered ST-Line and the interior is cheap Tat
A Ordinary car=1 pence under £40k with a nice paint colour good interior circa 250 bhp
Sounds like a GTi performance with all the toys at current prices.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06

That’s s3 money. Maybe not with all the toys
Mine just booked a smidge under £40k to avoid the high road tax. Anything more like sunroof or even folding mirrors would have put me over. Wasn’t worth it at £350 extra per year for the first 5 years. Folding mirror would have ended up costing £2k.

Reactions: NevMan
Sounds like a GTi performance with all the toys at current prices.

Wait n see mate in no hurry at all to change
That’s s3 money. Maybe not with all the toys
Mine just booked a smidge under £40k to avoid the high road tax. Anything more like sunroof or even folding mirrors would have put me over. Wasn’t worth it at £350 extra per year for the first 5 years. Folding mirror would have ended up costing £2k.
It's not 350 quid extra a year mate £200 is it not

It's an extra £310 a year for the first 5 times the road tax is renewed from new.
A complete rip off in my book!!
But our government gets you one way or another. :(

Reactions: NevMan
Current road tax rules came into force in April 2017.
When you come to renew it will be a flat rate £140 unless original retail price was over 40 grand(including factory options) then it will cost £450 per year for the first 5 renewals before reverting back to £140.

Mine will also just scrape by into the £140 band when I renew my tax in June next year.

So us £450 S3 guys are subsidising you under £40k S3 guys it's fubar. .. Lol

Reactions: Bells, Ron240, TYb and 1 other person