Auto DAB - RNSE issues

Sparks#72

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a 'pre-owned' Autodab unit for my A3 (which has the RNSE head unit installed) and connected it up over the weekend.

The Autodab unit appears to be working, as it responds to the MFSW buttons and I can listen to numerous radio channels........All good!

However, that's about as good as it gets........as the display on the RNSE and the DIS initially only showed the pre-tuned FM station of 87.MHZ, I could scroll through the station list, but I have no idea as to which station I'm actually listening to.

I have tired numerous factory resets etc, with no effect.

And then tonight, its decides to show BBCR6M station on the display and now that's all it displays even after changing the channel and turning the Autodab on & off several times.

Has anyone else encountered these problems with Autodab / RNSE set up...?

I have also previously converted the antenna upper and lower amp swap out to correct the diversity issue....Could this be the course?

I have contacted support at Connects2 but as yet no response.

Any helpful comments or advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you,

I have the same set up as you in my A3 and sometimes get the same issues. i found the first time installed the antenna on the screen i placed it to high up thinking i'd get better reception but this wasn't the case, i then bought a second antenna and moved it down and works way better. the only time mine tends to get stuck now is if the signal is very poor but this soon resolves itself, also give it a moment on a selected channel. do you know where your local transmitter is ? can you go to a better area just to try ?

Thank you Matt268uk for taking the time to respond.

The top of the aerial strip is fitted at least 15cm below the top of the wind screen, so its more towards the middle of the screen by the time you get to the amplifier box.

I've been on a 120 mile round trip today into a city centre and still no joy, the station display is still stuck on BBCR6M and I have no idea how many or what stations I can access, as no other text is displayed at all.

After writing my initial post last night, I found some older threads on here about numerous Autodab & RNSE problems, which seemed to dry up after mentioning waiting on Firmware upgrades etc.....I have no idea how old the unit I purchased is or what version FW it is running or even if it can be upgraded.

I've had no direct response from Connects2.

I think I'll just have to suck this one up (which is a shame as the sound quality from the 'unknown' stations is pretty good) and stick it back on flee bay and cut my losses.

Cheers.

Thank you Matt268uk for taking the time to respond.

The top of the aerial strip is fitted at least 15cm below the top of the wind screen, so its more towards the middle of the screen by the time you get to the amplifier box.

I've been on a 120 mile round trip today into a city centre and still no joy, the station display is still stuck on BBCR6M and I have no idea how many or what stations I can access, as no other text is displayed at all.

After writing my initial post last night, I found some older threads on here about numerous Autodab & RNSE problems, which seemed to dry up after mentioning waiting on Firmware upgrades etc.....I have no idea how old the unit I purchased is or what version FW it is running or even if it can be upgraded.

I've had no direct response from Connects2.

I think I'll just have to suck this one up (which is a shame as the sound quality from the 'unknown' stations is pretty good) and stick it back on flee bay and cut my losses.

Cheers.
The newest FW for your Rnse if its Mk2 ( media button ) is 220 , now if ur one isn't upgraded to that i couldn't tell where you would get it from but Audi might .

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, my rnse is running the latest firmware version.

However, when I mentioned the version of the firmware in my post, I was referring to the Autodab units firmware, sorry if I didn’t make the clear.

Thanks again.

I have an AutoDAB box on my shelf that you can have for free (+ postage from Norway) if you want to try another unit. I had some issues with it not storing favourites, and later changed to another DAB solution.

I think I too have one. Can’t remember where but could have a good look, you're welcome to try it if I can find it.

Hi,
Thank you for all the replies and for the offers of Autodab units, very generous.
However, the support team at Connects2 got back to me yesterday and suggested that I check the Fakra connections as the most likely cause of the issue.
Upon checking, one of the individual leaf contacts in the Fakra connections in the Autodab bridging loom had been bent over, once straighten out and reconnected, the Autodab unit appears to be working correctly. Happy days!!
However, there is another slight issue now.......
When the Autodab is switched off, all of the original FM stations on the RNSE are now greyed out and cannot be accessed.
I'm not sure if I need to recheck all of the other connections again or if its because I swapped out the upper & lower amps in the boot for the diversity correction conversion....?

A bit more trial & error is needed I think.....

Thanks again for all your help, I really have appreciated it.

Cheers.

I too swapped out my upper and lower amps to correct a fault showing on vcds but even though had no problems beforehand,just wanted a clean scan. are all the FM stations greyed out even if you scroll down your rnse unit with autodab switched off ? I find that some of mine are missimg from time to time but are there if i scroll down,not sure why this is though.

Yes, that's exactly why I swapped out the amps to get rid of the error message and to have a clean VCDS scan etc. But it's good to know that your Autodab unit worked on that configuration, so thank you.

No, I can't access any of the radio channels now they are all greyed out, since I got the Autodab unit working as expected.

I think it must be down to the aerial connections, as the channels were all available before I found the issue stopping the Autodab working.

I'll pull the head unit out again later and just re-check all of the connections, I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday, so I'll take my time this time around and make sure the wires and connectors are not trapped or kinked in anyway, as its a getting a bit tight on space behind there now.

Failing that, I'll try support at Connects2 again, as they have been really helpful.

Thanks again.

I too swapped out my upper and lower amps to correct a fault showing on vcds but even though had no problems beforehand,just wanted a clean scan. are all the FM stations greyed out even if you scroll down your rnse unit with autodab switched off ? I find that some of mine are missimg from time to time but are there if i scroll down,not sure why this is though.
Sometimes you need to way up things , now the retrofit is perfect if you just leave it as it was meant to be when it was first done back in the day but now things have moved on Dab , headunits etc , so now you have the FM missing sometimes problem , greyed out problem but a down graded piece off equipment retrofit , so whats better for you back to the way car was with one fault only seen on scan and usually causes no live threaten issues or new way with visual problems , now i know personally what my choice would be :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Sometimes you need to way up things , now the retrofit is perfect if you just leave it as it was meant to be when it was first done back in the day but now things have moved on Dab , headunits etc , so now you have the FM missing sometimes problem , greyed out problem but a down graded piece off equipment retrofit , so whats better for you back to the way car was with one fault only seen on scan and usually causes no live threaten issues or new way with visual problems , now i know personally what my choice would be :thumbs up::thumbs up:

LOL what are you on about

@cz1z64 Mine all works well.I'm more than happy with my set up but was just saying to op that i sometimes have similar. I wouldn't go back to stock from autodab. It's a good piece of kit and i'm really happy with it.

@cz1z64 Mine all works well.I'm more than happy with my set up but was just saying to op that i sometimes have similar. I wouldn't go back to stock from autodab. It's a good piece of kit and i'm really happy with it.
I know your happy with it as you have said in your post , all i was saying is you can't have it both ways IE you mentioned to other person you lose some FM channels . as if its a annoying a little but you put up with it . Live threathen is just a term off speech refering to the part about down grading to lose the Vcd's fault. So i hope that clears up the post not critizing Dab

Last edited: