Problematic LED combined DRL/Sidelight setup.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well chaps having had the combined LED drl/sidelight bulb setup fitted for a fair while now i'm having to resort to ripping the lot out tommorw and going back to oem setup.
As nice as the LED DRL/sights combo's are colour wise and illumination they are just rubbish from a reliability point of view.
I've been having issues with the DRL's for ages now and gave up using them as they were on and off like traffic lights , throwing bulb out errors even if they were on.
Now to make things worse the side light functions are doing the same , on then off at random times never both sides together but either or , went out this evening and off they went again.....really getting isssed off with them frankly.

I am the only person suffering this continual problem with these things or is it a common failure point.
if it is normal then i'm not bothering using them again , just a real pain and annoying .

rob

Hi rob,i have those drl bulb set up(em.t)ive had them in maybe 18 months,touch wood had no problems with them.mine use the side light/park light bulb socket to conect up to,as u say you,re getting problems with original bulbs back in,maybe you have a problem with the earths on one or both those bulb sockets?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I don't think Rob has put the originals back in yet (as of his post), he's just saying he'll have to.
A quick question for him though: Would I be right in thinking you sourced your DRL/Sidelight units from the same place you got your Morimotos?

Hi rob, i read the post wrong. when you swapped to using side lights as opposed to using drl,that was just changed coding?same bulbs light up , but a little less bright,thats how mine work,yours same?so im wondering if your conections might be a bit dodgy,i think there are maybe 2 wiring plugs and the bulb blank in the park light socket each side,are yours the same?they maybe loosing either the feed or earth in motion,worth a look,as they are nice lights?
Well chaps having had the combined LED drl/sidelight bulb setup fitted for a fair while now i'm having to resort to ripping the lot out tommorw and going back to oem setup.
As nice as the LED DRL/sights combo's are colour wise and illumination they are just rubbish from a reliability point of view.
I've been having issues with the DRL's for ages now and gave up using them as they were on and off like traffic lights , throwing bulb out errors even if they were on.
Now to make things worse the side light functions are doing the same , on then off at random times never both sides together but either or , went out this evening and off they went again.....really getting isssed off with them frankly.

I am the only person suffering this continual problem with these things or is it a common failure point.
if it is normal then i'm not bothering using them again , just a real pain and annoying .

rob

I don't think Rob has put the originals back in yet (as of his post), he's just saying he'll have to.
A quick question for him though: Would I be right in thinking you sourced your DRL/Sidelight units from the same place you got your Morimotos?
yes same source.

Hi rob, i read the post wrong. when you swapped to using side lights as opposed to using drl,that was just changed coding?same bulbs light up , but a little less bright,thats how mine work,yours same?so im wondering if your conections might be a bit dodgy,i think there are maybe 2 wiring plugs and the bulb blank in the park light socket each side,are yours the same?they maybe loosing either the feed or earth in motion,worth a look,as they are nice lights?

Well I have had it all out again this morning and checked all the oem wiring and its fine, all the original sidelight and DRL work as they should.
Had a good old look over the led kit and nothing obvious wiring wise to cause the problem, anyway decided to give it a final go and reinstalled all of it.
All worked fine for an hour then surprise surprise , on come a bulb failure and the lamps are all on, error stayed on then wether the lamps were switched on or not.
left the car alone till this afternoon went out and all was fine for 20 mins and then bulb failure again and this time both passenger sidelight and drl lamps are off but the dash error says driver side...what goes on here....
I've ripped it all out again and put the original factory lamps back in and its all working fine, and to be honest I've had enough of these LEd's now really more hassle than its worth, i'd rather have boring lamps and light output than modern LED's that don't work properly .

cheers
rob

I had the same ones as you. Faulty from the start with flickering after being on for 10 minutes and error codes thrown up. Really poor customer service as well which ended up in me having to raise a case through PayPal. I so wanted them to work though as they looked great. I would never use the seller again and have gone back to OEM. I’d appreciate any recommendations for a whiter, reliable solution.

I fitted LED sidelights into my headlights - They were brilliant........ at first. After a few weeks started getting flickering from them or sometimes one or other not coming on at all. Finally gave up on them after about 6 weeks - I suspect part of the problem is that they do get VERY hot whilst working due to the power dissipation across the load resistors. I think this is damaging to the bulb holders - the plastic seems to have gone quite brittle so maybe contacts not being held properly? Nice while they lasted (almost as bright as the daytime running lights!) but don't like the idea of fitting something that gets that hot inside the headlights. The original sidelights are pathetic by comparison but, heigh ho........ :chargrined: