Help Please Dash cam

Skull666

Reaction score
hi guys any of you hard wired a dashcam on you car ?
Want to hard wire to passenger side hopefully

Run to the drivers side, plenty of ignition based fuses there.

Mines ran to a spare fuse on the passenger side (rhd car) works perfect

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Is that a constant live ? Mine needs a constant live as it can be used as a parking monitor too.

Also can you tell me which fuse lol

Cheers

Is that a constant live ? Mine needs a constant live as it can be used as a parking monitor too.

Also can you tell me which fuse lol

Cheers
Sorry mines an ignition switched feed. Pretty sure there's spare permenant live feeds, just test with a multi meter.

This might be useful: https://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-tech/108034-installation-dashcam-sportback.html

I'm not really sure it matters in terms of cable routing whether or not you tap into the driver or passenger side fuse panels. However I recently advised someone who was trying to find a switched fuse on the drivers side and he gave up and used the passenger side instead, although I think he was trying to do it without the aid of a multimeter which is a bit silly because basic multimeters are fairly cheap these days.

For safety I'd advise using one or two add-a-circuit type piggy-back fuse holders depending on the type of dashcam. Just take care with the crimping: Strip back a long length of insulation and then twist the (probably) stranded wires and fold in half twice. This will give enough metal for the crimp to hold onto. Also make sure to get low value fuses for the dashcam. They are only a few watts so only have thin wires. The purpose of a fuse is to limit the current through a wire under fault conditions so that there is no risk of overheating and fire. So really the maximum fuse should be around 3A. If there is an in-line fuse-holder then check what rating that fuse is and try to match it. But don't rely on just that fuse because since it is in-line it is not protecting all the wire. Finally make sure the ground/chassis connection is good. There is certainly a dedicated tapping point near the passenger side fuse panel, and presumably there is one on the driver's side too.

Reactions: Skull666
This might be useful: https://www.a5oc.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-tech/108034-installation-dashcam-sportback.html

I'm not really sure it matters in terms of cable routing whether or not you tap into the driver or passenger side fuse panels. However I recently advised someone who was trying to find a switched fuse on the drivers side and he gave up and used the passenger side instead, although I think he was trying to do it without the aid of a multimeter which is a bit silly because basic multimeters are fairly cheap these days.

For safety I'd advise using one or two add-a-circuit type piggy-back fuse holders depending on the type of dashcam. Just take care with the crimping: Strip back a long length of insulation and then twist the (probably) stranded wires and fold in half twice. This will give enough metal for the crimp to hold onto. Also make sure to get low value fuses for the dashcam. They are only a few watts so only have thin wires. The purpose of a fuse is to limit the current through a wire under fault conditions so that there is no risk of overheating and fire. So really the maximum fuse should be around 3A. If there is an in-line fuse-holder then check what rating that fuse is and try to match it. But don't rely on just that fuse because since it is in-line it is not protecting all the wire. Finally make sure the ground/chassis connection is good. There is certainly a dedicated tapping point near the passenger side fuse panel, and presumably there is one on the driver's side too.

Thanks guys. Very good read and info. Going to try to attempt it tomorrow.
Will let you guys know how it goes

Like others I have mine mounted on the passenger side behind the mirror. I wired it into the driver side so I have a permanent live as well as a switched live.

Mines besides the mirror and I ran the power to the A post, behind the glovebox, then along centre console to the cigarette lighter. That was I used the existing power lead and didn't have to cut into any existing Audi wiring.

What hard wire kit are you using? I got a Yi dash cam and fed up of having the wire dangling down, so was wondering how to hard wire it

Last edited:
What hard wire kit are you using? I got a Yi dash cam and fed up of having the wire dangling down, so was wondering how to hard wire it
I hard wired mine using a female cigarette socket (to keep original lead intact) connected this to a piggyback fuse into a ignition live feed, ground wire to body.

I've just ordered a new camera as mine is playing up.
Anyone tapped in to reverse lights for activation of a rear camera? Just wondering where people have done this? At the lights in the boot lid (saloon) or inside the car?

Anyone tapped in to reverse lights for activation of a rear camera? Just wondering where people have done this? At the lights in the boot lid (saloon) or inside the car?

I've done this. I tapped into the reverse light in the lid Originally it was for my parking sensors so went off that feed. I did have to wire a relay in as the CAN BUS was seeing a volt drop and was cutting the camera in and out. Was pretty straight forward tho.

Reactions: feva
I hard wired mine using a female cigarette socket (to keep original lead intact) connected this to a piggyback fuse into a ignition live feed, ground wire to body.

I've just ordered a new camera as mine is playing up.

For reversing I just connected into the nearside tail lamp and into the positive signal for the reverse light when engaged. That was I get full screen when reversing, although I don;t really need it as I have it via the MMI.

For reversing I just connected into the nearside tail lamp and into the positive signal for the reverse light when engaged. That was I get full screen when reversing, although I don;t really need it as I have it via the MMI.
Cheers was hoping someone had picked up the feed inside the car instead of tapping into the boot lid feed. Want to try and avoid if possible having to pass it into the boot lid.
Wondered if there was a junction inside the boot or near?

Cheers was hoping someone had picked up the feed inside the car instead of tapping into the boot lid feed. Want to try and avoid if possible having to pass it into the boot lid.
Wondered if there was a junction inside the boot or near?

I dis-connected the rear light cluster and worked out which cable it was via a multi meter and once I knew the colour of the correct cable I then used a scotch block to connect into it inside the cabin.

Sorry my bad. Just in the process of changing camera. Rhd tapped into drivers side fuses

Camera with rear view cam turned out to be garbage. Sent it back (didn't really need rear cam as have mmi display) bought a new next base one instead.