Worth the change??

AshRS3sportback

Reaction score
Evening,

Over the last few days I’ve contemplated making the move from PFL to FL rs3.

I’m probably about to answer my own question but thought I’d get the opinion of the forum.

My current PFL RS
2016 66 plate
13k miles
Every option ticked (genuinely every option aside from Audi connect)
Panther black (purple tone)
Facelift rear lights
Remaining warranty
Standard engine (no remaps)

The cars a weekend toy and is quite literally immaculate! Ceramic coated etc etc. I’ve now owned it a little over a year (only covered 6k in my ownership) it’s fair to say, I adore the car!

However, regardless of all this positivity, is the facelift’s improvements really worth the the change?? Because to me at least, the PFL feels plenty quick and great to drive.

Forget the tuneabilty as I’m not going to be messing with the engine.

Regards

Last edited:
Interesting question I've been hanging around the forum since putting in my fl order in Feb and getting it in May. I love the car.
I, like you, have had the car coated (and ppf covered) and keep it immaculate. The big deaw to rs3 ownership for me was the character of the engine. From general opinion the pfl has more.
It's a mine field picking up a car, getting options right and making sure your new pride and joy is looked after. Buying a fl now would mean a dealer pre reg with fixed spec, or hoping to find a cherished one used - a few threads recently popped up running through the problems of finding good used.
If it were me and I'd 'babied' a pfl I don't think I'd risk the financial hit or time investment sourcing a fl for the vfc or the slightly different body styling (and avoid the god awful cold start wastegate & exhaust rattle!). Enjoy the extra dose of character from the engine, factory options you enjoy having and have a holiday instead - or treat the car to some new wheels! Just my 2p worth.
The next model will have to be pretty special to tempt me out of mine - or gt4 prices will have to plummet....
Good luck with what ever you decide, I'd be interested in an update to your decision.

Reactions: D0C and AshRS3sportback
Interesting question I've been hanging around the forum since putting in my fl order in Feb and getting it in May. I love the car.
I, like you, have had the car coated (and ppf covered) and keep it immaculate. The big deaw to rs3 ownership for me was the character of the engine. From general opinion the pfl has more.
It's a mine field picking up a car, getting options right and making sure your new pride and joy is looked after. Buying a fl now would mean a dealer pre reg with fixed spec, or hoping to find a cherished one used - a few threads recently popped up running through the problems of finding good used.
If it were me and I'd 'babied' a pfl I don't think I'd risk the financial hit or time investment sourcing a fl for the vfc or the slightly different body styling (and avoid the god awful cold start wastegate & exhaust rattle!). Enjoy the extra dose of character from the engine, factory options you enjoy having and have a holiday instead - or treat the car to some new wheels! Just my 2p worth.
The next model will have to be pretty special to tempt me out of mine - or gt4 prices will have to plummet....
Good luck with what ever you decide, I'd be interested in an update to your decision.

Probably the only reply I’ll need, a good take on the situation.

Reactions: sve170
I did a comparison somewhere on here.

In summary, I wouldn't change. Cost aside, the PFL sounds better, is nearly as quick, a monster if mapped and interior wise (other than virtual cockpit) it is identical. It is the sound that is the big one for me.

Reactions: Marshy, Terminator x, sve170 and 1 other person
I did a comparison somewhere on here.

In summary, I wouldn't change. Cost aside, the PFL sounds better, is nearly as quick, a monster if mapped and interior wise (other than virtual cockpit) it is identical. It is the sound that is the big one for me.
They made it a sticky, top of the page!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: D0C
I’d keep yours wish I kept my panther black pfl. You could always have the vc screen fitted and even an r8 steering wheel if you fancied changing it up a bit.

Reactions: AshRS3sportback