Software to re-map own ECU?

Spacecowboy

Reaction score
Ok, long shot. As I understand it, remaps such as the REVO are purely software enabled - right or wrong?

If this is the case, does anyone know of aftermarket software I can load onto my laptop and, via the same serial port, remap my own car to my hearts content?

Of course I am just trying to avoid spending the £500 plus notes really...

IF such software exists I would have thought that it would cost more than the cost of a custom remap, plus there is the added risk of breaking your car!

ICE

there are ECU programmers on fleabay, supposedly complete with 1,000's of ecu images.

Dont forget that you're not just paying for the map though from a tuner. Your paying for their experience, help and after sales support - maybe even a warranty.

We have similar names! Cool!

To be honest I wouldnt touch programming an ECU unless you have at least some working knowledge of the appropriate electronics in relation to the engine. I'm pretty sure the guys who program them for a living have done extensive testing (although for some of the companies this probably isn't true). Your better off saving up for a proper working remap from a reputable company than messing around with your laptop and possibly breaking something just one of those things you can't skim on!

Ha yeah I saw your name last week and thought, "I dont remember posting that?"

Good advice and responses as expected. Reason I asked was that a freind of mine works for Honda and he used to remap my Rover 220 Coupe (Honda engine) all day long direct from his laptop - it was the only way to get it through emmisions with all the mods!) The difference being that he clearly knew what he was doing whereas I would not. Best get saving then! Cheers all

There was a guy on Briskoda who bought one of the kits off ebay to flash his own ECU... The seller supplied a file for his car, but then he had tonnes of problems with it once he'd flashed the file.... Almost every light on his dash illuminated at some point and vag-com reporting loads of faults!

Turns out the file was for a totally different model!

Save up your money and get a remap from one of the big names.

Shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny. Point def taken - anyone reccomend a good tuner capable of doing this by me? (Worcester)

Out of interest what are you driving?
I drive an A3 1.8TS and planning to get it Revo'd! MIJ in Walsall have had good writeups so i'm planning to use them...they do custom exhausts as well. Seems like Revo and Jabba are the big two names everyone is mentioning!

2002 S3. REVO does seem to be the name of choice. Just got the car so need to save a bit first but thanks for the tip