Ghost autowatch or Gap insurance

Heysham

Reaction score
Hi picking up used 2016 S3 the first weekend in February, what would you guys suggest is the best option Gap insurance or Ghost autowatch.

Got my gap cover from ALA, think they are decent price and well respected.

Hi picking up used 2016 S3 the first weekend in February, what would you guys suggest is the best option Gap insurance or Ghost autowatch.

If you can afford it get both, but GAP would guarantee a few things depending on which policy you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: S32B
I'm thinking ghost would lower the risk of it being stolen.

It may well do that, but no guarantee the car won’t be stolen.
With GAP you may lose the car but you know a new replacement will be on its way to you.

Ghost has no guarantee with it, with the correct GAP policy you have a guarantee.

Not much of a choice gap insurance is a must. Doesn't matter if ghost will help prevent it be stolen, this is true. Won't help if an idiot plows in to the back of you and you have £x left to pay on your finance.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: S32B, Bristle Hound and Heysham
@Heysham - Depends whether you would want your car back after it been stolen
If you want it back/don't want it stolen - Ghost autowatch
If you don't want it back - GAP insurance

I'm on 3rd policy with GAP123 insurance
https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/

I find ALA GAP policies can be a bit of a weird one as there are so many discount codes around you don't really know where you are with pricing

Its not maybe that straight foreword as you may not get either of the above choice

I've seen what the thieves do to a car when its stolen & I would not want, under any circumstances, my car back if it gt stolen

As always, just my opinion of course ... :hi:

PS Ghost autowatch seems to be the anti-theft device of choice at the mo but from my experience the thieves will always find a way around these devices, with time

Reactions: sve170
Hi.
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards,
Dan.

Isn’t GAP only available on cars registered within the first 12 months ?

Hi.
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards,
Dan.

You say Top-Up to 25% with a maximum of £10,000?
Totally pointless.

GAP wins every time.

You can only get back to invoice if car is less than 12 months old. After that it's back to "agreed value"

You can only get back to invoice if car is less than 12 months old. After that it's back to "agreed value"

Don't think that is true. I purchased my 15 plate S3 in April and took out a back to invoice policy for 3 years with ALA.

I purchased my 15 plate S3 in April and took out a back to invoice policy for 3 years with ALA.
I see, the company I was with if the car was older than 12 months they'd only go back to agreed value (value at date of policy).

Ghost= Protects the car from being stolen in the first place and hopeful means no insurance claim is needed.
GAP= If the car is smashed up in an accident it gets replaced for a new one of the same age, value when bought etc.

I have both for piece of mind.

I have had my 66 plate S3 for a week now I was thinking the same as you. before I brought the car home we already had CCTV and dogs in and outside. I have a disklok and tracker on the S3 and GAP insurance should the worst happen.

No, during the quote you get asked this:

Gap

Reactions: sve170 and Bristle Hound
My Gap123 policy turned out to be useless. They refused to pay out because my car was 359 days old when I 'broke' it because my proper insurer had a new for old clause on cars under a year old, but there was a 10 month wait on new factory orders, so I was stuffed and left with no car.

My Gap123 policy turned out to be useless. They refused to pay out because my car was 359 days old when I 'broke' it because my proper insurer had a new for old clause on cars under a year old, but there was a 10 month wait on new factory orders, so I was stuffed and left with no car.
So did your normal insurance get you a new car then?

Nope, they refused to buy me one of the pre-reg but new ones I found in the dealer network and insisted it had to be a new order. I couldn't be without a car for 10 months, so I had to accept their offer of a book price pay out, which was about 4 grand less than what it would've cost me for a used car of the same model. Got effed by both insurance companies!

Nope, they refused to buy me one of the pre-reg but new ones I found in the dealer network and insisted it had to be a new order. I couldn't be without a car for 10 months, so I had to accept their offer of a book price pay out, which was about 4 grand less than what it would've cost me for a used car of the same model. Got effed by both insurance companies!
If they reverted to book price as the wait was too long then the GAP should have kicked in, just took this from the Q&A section of another company after a quick Google search about GAP & New for old cover:

My Comprehensive Insurer is offering me a 'new for old' replacement for the first year, why do I still need GAP insurance in the first year?

If your insurer is providing you with new-for-old cover, you can purchase ALA GAP insurance up to 365 days after taking possession of the vehicle, whilst the vehicle is less than 12 months old.

However, you can choose to purchase the GAP policy from us to have it run alongside the cover from your insurer.

Whilst this may seem like you are duplicating cover, if your vehicle is written off in the first year we will transfer the balance of your original policy on to your replacement vehicle.

Please consider the possibility that there may be instances where your insurer reduces your settlement to market value only. This can be for various reasons including exceeding the annual mileage limit pro rata, the condition of the vehicle, if the vehicle has been stolen rather than being involved in an accident or if a replacement vehicle cannot be sourced with a certain number of weeks of the incident. if you have not purchased GAP insurance you could be left with a shortfall.

Obviously the underlined part covers your situation, so they should have paid out?

Reactions: Ron240
After my last post I sent GAP123 a message via their website (I'm with GAP123 so I was interested to see what they said), I asked if there were any advantages of running GAP alongside a normal insurance policy which has 'new for old' built into it for the first 12 month, this is the reply:

Thank you for your online web contact. In response to your query, the only benefit in having the two running alongside each other is just having the extra peace of mind. If your motor insurance company didn’t replace the vehicle and instead reverted to the market value, you would have the Gap Insurance in place.

This can happen, depending on the terms and conditions of the ‘new for old’ attached to your motor insurance policy, it can be limited to a certain number of miles or replacing the vehicle within a set time frame. Therefore, if they cannot physically replace the vehicle within a set time, they instead revert back to the market value. That said, providing you are happy with the terms and conditions attached to your ‘new for old’ there wouldn’t be any great benefit in having the two run alongside each other.

Again they have mentioned the exact position you were in 'reverted to the market value', so in their own words they should have paid out!!!

Reactions: Ron240 and Bristle Hound
The above is precisely the reason why I chose to have my GAP cover active immediately with my new car purchase and not defer it for 1 year. :)
Also I'm sure there is another clause to the replacement car in first year from new......it does not apply if car is stolen and not recovered....market value is paid out.

Found this....
  1. If the vehicle cannot be sourced from dealer stock and delivered within 3 weeks the policy will only pay ‘market value’ at time of write off – and that is NOT new for old,
  2. Some insurers have been known to give ‘new for old’ on the basic vehicle list price which therefore excludes the cost of factory fitted options and dealer fitted accessories,
  3. If the vehicle is stolen only ‘market value’ applies, therefore new for old cover will not apply to theft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound and S32B
The above is precisely the reason why I chose to have my GAP cover active immediately with my new car purchase and not defer it for 1 year. :)
Also I'm sure there is another clause to the replacement car in first year from new......it does not apply if car is stolen and not recovered....market value is paid out.

Found this....
  1. If the vehicle cannot be sourced from dealer stock and delivered within 3 weeks the policy will only pay ‘market value’ at time of write off – and that is NOT new for old,
  2. Some insurers have been known to give ‘new for old’ on the basic vehicle list price which therefore excludes the cost of factory fitted options and dealer fitted accessories,
  3. If the vehicle is stolen only ‘market value’ applies, therefore new for old cover will not apply to theft.
Hence why everyone should read the small print before saying "I'm covered" ;)

Reactions: Ron240, Bristle Hound and loftylad
After my last post I sent GAP123 a message via their website (I'm with GAP123 so I was interested to see what they said), I asked if there were any advantages of running GAP alongside a normal insurance policy which has 'new for old' built into it for the first 12 month, this is the reply:

Thank you for your online web contact. In response to your query, the only benefit in having the two running alongside each other is just having the extra peace of mind. If your motor insurance company didn’t replace the vehicle and instead reverted to the market value, you would have the Gap Insurance in place.

This can happen, depending on the terms and conditions of the ‘new for old’ attached to your motor insurance policy, it can be limited to a certain number of miles or replacing the vehicle within a set time frame. Therefore, if they cannot physically replace the vehicle within a set time, they instead revert back to the market value. That said, providing you are happy with the terms and conditions attached to your ‘new for old’ there wouldn’t be any great benefit in having the two run alongside each other.

Again they have mentioned the exact position you were in 'reverted to the market value', so in their own words they should have paid out!!!

It took 4 months of wrangling with both insurers and for all of that I was making two car payments, as VWFS insist you carry on paying for a car until their debt is settled by either you or your insurer. It was a horrible time, especially after a big accident that I was lucky to walk away from, but neither of them would budge.

Gap123 went into administration shortly after, I believe. They have obviously resurfaced under new ownership...

It took 4 months of wrangling with both insurers and for all of that I was making two car payments, as VWFS insist you carry on paying for a car until their debt is settled by either you or your insurer. It was a horrible time, especially after a big accident that I was lucky to walk away from, but neither of them would budge.

Gap123 went into administration shortly after, I believe. They have obviously resurfaced under new ownership...
Yeah I recall this, I had the S3 at the time and was a bit worried, it was the underwriters that went into administration from memory not Gap123 themselves.