A3 8p rear washer

Thomas_531

Reaction score
Hi!

I recently bought a 2006 A3, really like the car. I discovered that the rear washer didn't work. You could hear the pump and the wiper would go but no water. Upon removing the boot door liner, I can see that the hose for the washer has been disconnected and a screw has been screwed in to the end of the pipe, presumably to stop the boot from flooding if the washer is used.

I've looked everywhere online I can think of but I cannot for the life of me find a part for connecting the hose to the rear wiper, partly because I don't even know what to call the bit I'm looking for. I'll try to attach some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Attachments

• 20190111_164605.jpg
    20190111_164605.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 583
  • 20190111_164627.jpg
    20190111_164627.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 269
  • 20190111_164621.jpg
    20190111_164621.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 527
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2011-646/9/955-955020/#9
the screw looks to be fitted into part 9 on that parts list, youre missing the piece 9 attaches to.
the piece that appears to be missing isnt listed seperately by audi, and is part of the motor unit.

though if it was disconnected in the first place, wouldnt it be likely that the motor is shot anyway?

pic of whats missing

879a1561fa1e03378d4954b960eac74b.jpg

Reactions: Thomas_531
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2011-646/9/955-955020/#9
the screw looks to be fitted into part 9 on that parts list, youre missing the piece 9 attaches to.
the piece that appears to be missing isnt listed seperately by audi, and is part of the motor unit.

though if it was disconnected in the first place, wouldnt it be likely that the motor is shot anyway?

Wow that was fast, thank you, been looking for ages for a diagram like that. No idea why it's been disconnected, had the car nearly 6 months now and the rear wiper goes as normal. I've taken the screw out of the hose and turned on the washer, and sure enough water comes (did have to close the boot cause it won't go when it's open). My best guess is there was a leak.
Should I just look for a replacement motor then?

what can happen is the seals fail, and water starts leaking into the mechanism and into the boot.
that rusts up the motor, or fries the circuit board in it, or both.

so either that started happening and the previous owner disconnected the pipe soon enough to not damage the motor (but then the seals are still past it) or its something simple like the washer nozzle is blocked and the water was backing up.

have you tried fitting the pipe onto the barb on the motor? if theyre different sizes you could get a coupler from ebay, or b&q or a pet fish store might have fittings for it that would fit (for use on air lines/filters).

still, its a high probability youll need a new motor.

Reactions: Thomas_531
what can happen is the seals fail, and water starts leaking into the mechanism and into the boot.
that rusts up the motor, or fries the circuit board in it, or both.

so either that started happening and the previous owner disconnected the pipe soon enough to not damage the motor (but then the seals are still past it) or its something simple like the washer nozzle is blocked and the water was backing up.

have you tried fitting the pipe onto the barb on the motor? if theyre different sizes you could get a coupler from ebay, or b&q or a pet fish store might have fittings for it that would fit (for use on air lines/filters).

still, its a high probability youll need a new motor.

I'll get a coupler and see if I can make that work, would never have thought of that!! I'll order a few sizes now & see how I get on, if not I'll get the motor. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes

Reactions: samisnake
I'll get a coupler and see if I can make that work, would never have thought of that!! I'll order a few sizes now & see how I get on, if not I'll get the motor. Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it goes

Get a new motor, when you connect it up and try it water will go everywhere, it’s a common fault and easy to fix, don’t mess about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SootySport and abmat
The motor has had it. 100per cent. Just buy a new one, Valeo is the the one you want.

Reactions: mechanic69