Q5 roof bars on A6 Avant flush roof rails

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
As title, does anyone know or tried to fit Q5 roof bars on to A6 Avant flush fit roof rails?

Google search showed no result on that, as part numbers are different.
Rails look the same, from the fitting point of view, so the bars should be ok.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

As title, does anyone know or tried to fit Q5 roof bars on to A6 Avant flush fit roof rails?

Mate, whilst they look the same, they don’t fit. Well at least from a gen1 Q5 to a 2016 A6 avant

The Q5 is wider, so if if don't mind a bit of cutting, grinding and drilling they will fit.
I'm using a set on my A6 c6 avant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KrisKrk
The Q5 is wider, so if if don't mind a bit of cutting, grinding and drilling they will fit.

Well yes, if you are happy doing that could get most things to fit.

Thank you.
Would you have any pictures of job done and bars fitted?

Got loads if time before the holiday and like DIY so don't mind it.

No problem with strenght and fitting after that?

Well yes, if you are happy doing that could get most things to fit.

I chose not to attempt cutting, drilling etc given my A6 at the time was brand new. I went down the £34 cost of getting suitable kit to fit the set of aero bars I had

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I chose not to attempt cutting, drilling etc given my A6 at the time was brand new. I went down the £34 cost of getting suitable kit to fit the set of aero bars I had
I would not attempt to drill or cut the roof rails, only bars. Hope that's what Florin had in mind.

Hate boot packed up to the roof, as I like to see what's going on around me.

Roof box is not a problem. Will borrow it from a friend. It's the bars I don't see a point of spending on, if it's going to be used once.
Have no storage whatsoever so they will probably end up sold after a trip I'm planning

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Yes they can be made to fit. Theres a user on another VWAudi forum thats done it. Not great intructions and again no pictures, but i beleivw he fitted them to the rails, lined up onside with how wide he wanted the bars, and then measured. Moved to the other side and measured, and then cut the longer side to suit. I also beliwv that the feet of thr bars have 3 notches rather than 2, but he just cut that away too.

Yes they can be made to fit. Theres a user on another VWAudi forum thats done it. Not great intructions and again no pictures, but i beleivw he fitted them to the rails, lined up onside with how wide he wanted the bars, and then measured. Moved to the other side and measured, and then cut the longer side to suit. I also beliwv that the feet of thr bars have 3 notches rather than 2, but he just cut that away too.
Thank you for that.
Would see if can have a look on q5 set before thinking of any amendments.

Seen an advert of the A6 Avant for sale with roof bars and asked the seller, what bars they were. He said, they are Q5 but amended.
So, it is doable and many does it.

Took a shot and got oem Q5 bars. Used but great condition, with storage bag and removal tool for £35.

Just put them on the roof to see how far the measurements are and they nearly fit.
Will check again but it might not need much of the work to be done.

Anything I should be looking at specifically @ Florin Dohotaru?

Bars I've got have only two pins in the clamps and they do match up perfectly with holes in roof rails.

Is it just cutting the bars few cm's and redrilling the holes for clamps?

Right. Got round one day and worked out what will be the adjustment I need to do and did it.

On one side of the bar, I have used one of the screw holes and drilled another hole further away, keeping needed clamp fitment distance. Kept the other side as it was, to allow any bar adjustment.

Measured not needed piece from length of 4.5cm, cut them off and filed to straight and blunt.

Front left clamp had three pins, as it turned out, I've cut the middle one off. This still didn't aligned with holes in roof rails so rear pin had to be cut off and replaced with screw and rounded nut. Came out nice.

All back together and assembled on the car.
Looks good.
1c1218f0b4cc51fc0ea4209000464e19.jpg
d5842124c4970277c5af54baeda2e679.jpg
fe280d97c358841af42642ea73809d21.jpg
636eea29a3f1e49fca3abff4c471a8f0.jpg
4f2caf310806ce0292684fe1d206a71b.jpg
fc45939e128f484711e8217855ef650e.jpg
81e3c9d14aac33d8506719a0c0dbdf67.jpg
9751f4075adcc1b259ce62f3255d1be5.jpg
b98ea03606fa87bff23f491e37b1231d.jpg
0b1c4d790278fc9e831f150feec1ad36.jpg
bfdbb0455a36f7c46f15c12fce64a1a6.jpg

I have some Thule Aero bars that I’ve had for years and find that if you look on the Thule website you can get the 3 part numbers, feet, bracket and bar. The bar if long enough should be fine but you may need to mod or alter feet. I have used on S/RS3 and A4/RS4 Avant without issues. Good luck.

I have some Thule Aero bars that I’ve had for years and find that if you look on the Thule website you can get the 3 part numbers, feet, bracket and bar. The bar if long enough should be fine but you may need to mod or alter feet. I have used on S/RS3 and A4/RS4 Avant without issues. Good luck.

Thank you

Seen an advert of the A6 Avant for sale with roof bars and asked the seller, what bars they were. He said, they are Q5 but amended.
So, it is doable and many does it.

Took a shot and got oem Q5 bars. Used but great condition, with storage bag and removal tool for £35.

Just put them on the roof to see how far the measurements are and they nearly fit.
Will check again but it might not need much of the work to be done.

Anything I should be looking at specifically @ Florin Dohotaru?

Do you have the part number of the Q5 bars please.

Forgot to report back about the journey I made with these amended bars.

Fitted them tightly and roof box on it and done 127mph on German Autobhan max speed.
Only few months after read in roof box manufacturer manuals, not to exceed 75mph. WOW.
Lucky me.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Hi KrisKrk

I have just come across your post as I bought some bars for my A6 avant which turned out to be Q5 ones and thought I’d see if anyone else had tried to make them fit. I know it’s a very old post but it looks like you’re still active on the forum so thought I’d try.

Please could you confirm if was a 4.5cm shortening for both front and rear bars? I have taken two of the pins off the front left and will need to add one back in the right place as you did to make it more secure, although a lot of bars don’t have the pins at all do they!

Thanks

Andy