Trustworthy garage when they break your trust?

Stuart B

Reaction score
I have used an excellent local garage for all my "too difficult for me" or "if it goes wrong i am stuck" work.
So car MOT'd needed a CV boot which i paid £60 or so - I assumed this would be replacing an emergency temporary one i had previously fitted, when under the car last weekend I noticed grease on the transmission, this was from the temporary cv boot where all it looks like had been done is a proper metal cv boot clamp was put onto it?

So this is difficult.. I really like these guys they have been very helpful etc.

Should I go in and say "hey guys, the cv boot you fitted seems to have fallen off" and let them show me it and then i say that looks like the temporary one?.... .... .....
Do I forget about it, it's a small thing in the bigger picture.
Or do I set up a 3.99 godaddy web site and ruin their business? You might have seen links previously where I bought domain my-worst-car.co.uk after my-next-car.co.uk were dilly dallying over refunding me my deposit on a BMW estate which didn't pass an MOT after emissions, after I had written on my receipt that if it didn't pass its MOT I would be refunded, they kept saying their uncle would find someone to pass it.

I really am bad at this... I say nothing, say nothing, say nothing!!!! then have a few Stellas and go totally overboard.
When I got my tongue pierced about 20 years ago, someone came into the tattoo shop within a beer mat and said to the artist 'I want that in my arhse, can you do it?' The artist said 'yeah I can copy it, apart from this decoration rope around here..' the bloke said to the artist 'did you hear about ~shop1 in ~town2? That shop was firebombed because they did a bad tattoo..'

I would like to hope I have made a mistake and they actually changed a different CV boot and out the goodness of their heart put a metal clamp on my temp one to get it through the MOT?

TL DR: Stuart paid £60 for a CV boot and ended up with a tattoo on his ****.

More seriously though, how long ago did they supposedly carry out the work? I'd be inclined to chalk this one up to experience and let it slide - next time have a quick look on collection and you'll be in a better position to query things if needs be :sunglasses:

It was just before Christmas as part of the MOT, like I say - I trust them to do things like drive shafts, wheel bearings etc as that effects alignment and cant be half done and put back easily. I mean - I am going to need to do something as the CV boot isn't attached any more, it's passenger side inner. I stuck on one of those glue together kits but couldn't operate the tool I bought to put on the metal crimping things - so only put on thick tie wraps to get by. I assumed those temporary things were just a failure. do I go back and ask them to join it back up, or change it myself? they did the wheel bearings a few months ago which is when I noticed the boot was split.

I would go in and say to them. If they do it once to you when you use them again they could do a crapy job because they know they can get away with it.

Are they in any trade value schemes? Trusted Pilot etc.
Run their name past Trading Standards to see if there's any bad history, other people may have experienced similar. Then use your own judgement on the way forward.

you fitted a gaiter, its fallen off and its their fault?
they changed a gaiter, this one or other? what am I missing here?

I fitted a temp. CV boot but used tie wraps instead of proper crimped bands.

the MOT failed on CV boot

I was invoiced for supply and fit of a CV boot.

The temp CV boot I fitted had a proper CV crimped band fitted which has fallen off, still Tie Wrap on small part.

I need to check to see if they changed the other side and crimped this - as a good will gesture. They know I'm not totally stupid as been there in and out since getting the s3 for various things, I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding.

The thing is, I will probably buy new drive shafts in any case. As i want to fit new abs sensors and it's also quicker to change a drive shaft than a cv joint.