Stage 1 map with HPFP internals

M

markbrown87

Any point doing these mods together?
Ideally I want to keep the exhaust standard, induction standard but I want a stage 1 remap and to get the very most out of it.

Would I see any benefits getting HPFP internals along with a stage 1 remap?

Or should I just get the remap and no hardware.

Cheers

You will see some benefits but you would need a custom tune to get the most out of it. You could remove the pre-cats for a bit more power and still have the stock downpipe. Also, I helped Samco develop their intake boot on my stage 2 car and it gave a 10 bhp increase on it's own. Std intake is good for around 340 bhp anyway, it's the downpipe that's the biggest restriction on the S3.

APR refer to this as Stg1+ but if you’re keeping your intake and exhaust stock then I wouldn’t bother with a HPFP. Save the £500 for something else.

My first dabble into tuning my S3 was with a Bluefin Superchips map. You could tell it had been mapped but not massively different in its feel.
I then went down the APR stage 1+ route with a Loba pump but I wanted the stealth appearance and so kept the standard airbox. As I knew it was going to be restrictive I fitted a performance panel filter and smoothed as much of the inside of the air box as possible. I cut out some of the internal plastic supporting struts to remove as much restriction as possible. The car made 324.4 BHP and 342.6 ft lbs. the Loba pump gave the high stage 1+ torque figure which is what you feel as acceleration. Not bad for a generic map. See the photo to compare the before and after graphs on the dyno.
30B06ACD 7B27 4E3D AEB3 617F6A5F9474

I realised that the concertina elbow leading down to the turbo was quite narrow and tried the Samco hose mentioned above. I do not think enough development had been done on this as I could not get it to fit without it kinking so being restrictive again. Me maybe I had a bad one but I returned it for a refund.
I have done lots more modifications since but the APR stage 1+ was a noticeable upgrade compared to standard.

Cheers for the input, I am also wanting to keep it stock to look at. I will probably just get an rtech stage 1 map with standard hardware as should still get me a good 315 bhp and a load of torque. Will also get inlet cleaned and injectors serviced.

Reactions: samuelh_888