Prince Phillip R. T. A.

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
OK.
97 years old
Big posh 4x4
Crashes, and gets put on its side as he pulls out on a kia!!

Really..

Now I am not anti royalist, but should he have been driving at all?
Personally and shoot me if you like, if you know any exceptional examples here, but I think the driving test should be made to be taken again at 70.
P. S. He ain't no Stirling moss either
Discuss

Last edited:
Reactions: scobie140, Ghost and KrisKrk
He should be driving one of those
7d4336a0e9efeebe20fdf90c6cb809c7.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: scobie140, RS4B5, RS3 S. and 1 other person
Or that one, if taking he's "bird" out
26593e26517cbe86376f2a89dda1d5c9.jpg

Reactions: Alistair D, DieselJake, Ghost and 4 others
It does sound as if he pulled out of a junction into the path of an ongoing car. He has looked old and frail in recent times - as you might expect at the age of 97.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KrisKrk
On a serious note,
If driver is not as active anymore, is more driven about than driving himself, should be foced to take a re-test often.
If you pass a test at 18, drive till 50, start again after 10 years, because you suddenly realise you can, you might be more lethal on the road than you think.
Not all people are the same but he has proven so.

DVLA must have records of OAP's (no ofence) with valid driving licence, who should be sent for a re-test, at certain point.

Reactions: CHEZ
Even with the most healthy and active people, once passing the age of 80 reaction times and vision will naturally deteriorate

Reactions: KrisKrk
Just test them with regular GP checkups, GPs are obliged to report anything relevant to DVLA afaik.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ and KrisKrk
However the GP may not know which patients drive or indeed even know all their patients. I am 72 I have not seen my GP for a couple of years. Just get called in every year or so for a check up with a nurse but that is really just so they can show I am still alive; they get paid for patient head counts. Never been asked if I drive.
NB my Mother is 94 (today) and she is still driving; taking her for lunch later, I will ask her if her GP has ever asked about her driving.

Reactions: Terminator x
Don't want to turn this into a conspiracy thread but some people have been speculating that the reason he drives is to prevent a driver "accidently" having an accident with him in the car (even though it looks like he's not much more likely to prevent an accident himself!).

I'm pretty anti royalist anti everything myself though so I'm not really bothered what happens to 'em either way :playful:

Perhaps everybody should take a driving competency test every ten years, going up to every 5 years once you hit 70.

There's plenty of people who just shouldn't be driving and they aren't all old. :p

Ahhhhh don't say that I'll fail any competency test and I'm not even 30 yet :playful:

Reactions: CHEZ
Haha, yeah to be fair I'd probably end up on the bus too. :)

Driving & reaction tests should be made compulsory at 70 and repeated every few years. I don't care if you've been driving for 50 odd years, if you've not got quick enough reactions to avoid accidents etc then you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a almost 2 tonne lump of metal. Don't you get free bus passes at 65 anyway?
The argument that it gives them their independence is a load of bulls, If your not fit to drive then tough. Safety first.
90% of all near misses I've had the pleasure of having have been at caused by an old relic behind the wheel of the other car.