Light sensor??

ScottyP45

Reaction score
I notice, that during the day my dash lighting is fully on, I.e. clocks, numbers and needles are all lit. When darkness falls, it goes out and is dark unless the car lights are switched on, (at least sidelights anyway as DRLs still don't light the instruments at night)...so it must have the light sensor yet I can't see an auto function on the wiper stalk. Odd? Or does everyone's facelift (8p3) do this?

I checked twice on daytime and at night, the dash illumination is definitely on during the day with lights off and not on at night with lights off...

in the centre of the dash, theres a grill where the centre speaker lives. under that grill is also a light sensor. audi call it a "sunlight penetration photosensor" in elsawin :blush:

kEHxa9q.png

That’s how it works - it goes off in low light to ‘tell’ you to switch your lights on unless you have auto head lights.

There is a sensor on the dash clocks themselves. With vcds you alter when the dials and needles are lit

Perfect cheers lads, I like it the way it is cos modern cars lighting the clocks up on ignition can lead to driving off in town with no lights on....i prefer to be reminded !