Some opinions on good neutral selection practice please

Hold Assist basically keeps the brakes on at the lights until you set off. Saves you the "effort" of keeping your foot on the brake. The handbrake engages the hand brake fully.

I might be wrong with the terminology there. I cant remember what the system is called when Hold Assist isn't installed on a car. There is a standard system that keeps the handbrake on for a few seconds whilst your on a hill so you dont roll back...
Yes, the terminology is confusing.
Hold Assist is an option - the green light.
Hill Hold is standard and just stops you rolling back (or forward) when taking off.

Reactions: Ormesome
This is why some people find low speed forward and reversing slightly jerky because sometimes it takes a second for it to realise you foot is off the brake and to engage for low speed even though your in D or R already. I find especially reverse if you brake then let off it sits disengaged for a moment then slips the clutch to continue.

Still somewhat confused but it looks like good practice is to never use neutral but pull the EHB button if someone is behind me and I wish to avoid blinding them?

BTW I get the green light when I press the brake pedal firmly does that mean I have the optional 'Hold Assist' as well as the standard 'Hill Hold'?

Reactions: Ormesome
If you have Hold Assist, you will have a second button next to the EPB. This is to turn the feature on and off.

Reactions: Richard46
If you have Hold Assist, you will have a second button next to the EPB. This is to turn the feature on and off.
If that is one labelled 'A' then yes I have that. Thank you. It seems to be illuminated by default is there any reason to turn it off?

Hold Assist is like Marmite - some love it, some hate it.
In fact I hated it at first but now use it all the time.

Reactions: Ron240
I think the idea is a good one in principle, but I just don't like the thought of my brake lights illuminated for the duration of a stop.
Yes you could say activate the EPG and they will go out....but if I'm going to do that everytime I stop then the Hold Assist becomes redundant. :D

I think the idea is a good one in principle, but I just don't like the thought of my brake lights illuminated for the duration of a stop.
Yes you could say activate the EPG and they will go out....but if I'm going to do that everytime I stop then the Hold Assist becomes redundant. :D

Surly it’s best if your stopped to have the brake lights on...

Up to 10 seconds or so is fine, but not for 5 minutes it's not.....or at least not in my opinion. :D
Some traffic lights can take a while to change.
I use my handbrake, I have never sat with my foot on the brake with all rear brake lights blazing.
Some people do though and I find it quite annoying when I'm sat behind them. :(

Reactions: Adam14
Yeah I think that, people will say that’s inconsiderate but I’d rather that than someone plough in the back of me because they aren’t concentrating.

It doesn’t make it right but loads of people sit with their brake lights on anyway that don’t have hold assist etc, it doesn’t bother me personally in traffic I just don’t stare at the lights :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Phutters
I’d rather them be blinded than thinking I’m moving off tbh but I guess that’s just me. Same as rear daytime running lights 24/7

Reactions: Bells
But if you're stationary the car behind will be as well, so no need for brake lights. I use hazards to signify slowing to a stop

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ron240
I know what you mean but the more electronic cars get with auto hold and the like brake lights will always be on. I use acc for my hour and a half commute 80% stopped haha It sets the lights on stop nothing you can do to prevent it.