3.0tdi Intermittent power loss

Leighspain1975

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered if you can help with this one.
Have a 3.0tdi Cduc engine 245cv 2012.
Every so often the engine has an intermittent power loss. It’s not even that noticeable but I can feel a difference.

It’s weird cause the engine will run super smooth 1 out of every 10 starts. The power only feels slightly down but I can hear more engine clatter. Then I can turn the engine off and on again and suddenly it’s super smooth with no noise. It will stay like that until I switch off and on again and it will return to being lumpy.

Hooked up VCDS and it’s clean as a whistle no faults at all.

Also noticed it will start to run super smooth while driving when it starts to regenerate the Dpf and after regeneration back to lumpy again.

Also when running lumpy I can hear the injectors with the window open almost like a pinking sound. When smooth no noise at all?.

Car has new injectors and also new chains and tensioners.

Have no idea if someone could help ?.

Why does the car have new injectors chains and tensioners ? . How many miles has it done?.

Hi,

I had to change the chains and tensioners because the car developed the famous death rattle on start up.
I changed the injectors because I thought it may solve this problem I have but it didn’t.

Car has 235,000kms

Thanks

Did you ever find the cause of the intermittent power loss?
I'm having a very similar issue, mines a CCWA and has been remapped.
If I drive spirited for a while and wot after a short while it seems to loose a bit of power, also get a harsh vibration through rear centre of car when wot at round 2k ish rpm, but when car seems to lose a bit of power and I drive wot the vibration is hardly noticeable and the engine runs rough on idle almost feels like wind rocking the car.
Then next time I start car up it's fine, also doesnt always lose power but does some times hence the intermittent part

Hi
Unfortunately I’m still living with it. So weird how it suddenly changes from one to the other.
I’ve exhausted all possibilities with the engine and believe it’s running fine.

I have a suspicion we could have issues with the gearbox or mechatronic unit.
How is yours shifting ?.
Is it a bit rough in slow traffic and then suddenly very smooth ?.
Are you getting constant gear changes ?.

Ah that's a shame. I've been living with this for a while now.
Mines actually a manual 3.0tdi.
Did possibly think the issue could be my dual mass flywheel but then I would of thought that would be constantly giving issues.
Guess will find out eventually if something gives.

Ah ok
Didn’t realise you had a manual.
That definitely sounds like a flywheel issue to me. And these things can be intermittent too. Biggest clue for you is the idle judder that’s common with the flywheel