Keyed bonnet - DIY repair possible?

Ben_p

Reaction score
Some idiot has left a nice long, deep scratch on the bonnet... it is deep enough to feel with a finger nail.

Is a DIY fix possible? I'm almost completely skint, so a professional repair is not an option.

Advice on tried and tested products available in the UK will be much appreciated. I don't have a DA (or any power tools) but don't mind applying elbow grease for a day or two.

I've already got some Autoglym super resin polish & extra gloss protection.

Attachments

• 2019-02-18 16.15.59.jpg
    2019-02-18 16.15.59.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 2019-02-18 16.15.54.jpg
    2019-02-18 16.15.54.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 295
Some idiot has left a nice long, deep scratch on the bonnet... it is deep enough to feel with a finger nail.

Is a DIY fix possible? I'm almost completely skint, so a professional repair is not an option.

Advice on tried and tested products available in the UK will be much appreciated. I don't have a DA (or any power tools) but don't mind applying elbow grease for a day or two.

I've already got some Autoglym super resin polish & extra gloss protection.
Honestly the paint has been removed so no polish/compound or machine polisher will remove that scratch mate sorry to see this

Honestly the paint has been removed so no polish/compound or machine polisher will remove that scratch mate sorry to see this

So not possible using wet / dry paper, maybe some filler and / or touch up paint?

It doesn't have to look perfect (it's a 9 year old car), just not so obviously noticeable - and more importantly, protected from the elements.

Smart repair? Might not be perfect but I bet a lot cheaper than you think

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

So not possible using wet / dry paper, maybe some filler and / or touch up paint?

It doesn't have to look perfect (it's a 9 year old car), just not so obviously noticeable - and more importantly, protected from the elements.
You'd be ******* up wind to be honest

Get the touch up paint from eBay(make sure you use the paint code to order/search) and the clear coat. Cheap and easy fix, I will be all on your efforts, how perfect you can make it.

Paint code is on the Bigger Audi Sticker with engine and equipment PR codes.

Send me the pic.. is you can’t find the code like mine is LY9T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touch up paint down the length of the scratch. Allow it to harden for at least week and then try to polish it down without pulling the paint back out of the scratch.

That’s the cheap option. It won’t make it go away but it’ll disguise it enough that it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

Get the touch up paint from eBay(make sure you use the paint code to order/search) and the clear coat.

Thanks, I was thinking of getting the halfords touch up paint - they have the right colour code and I heard they're ok.

Is there a clear coat you can recommend?

Take your time, and use a cocktail stick as a brush to fill in the scratch with paint rather than the stupid brushes you get with a touch up paint.

Reactions: A4A4
Touch up paint down the length of the scratch. Allow it to harden for at least week and then try to polish it down without pulling the paint back out of the scratch.

That’s the cheap option. It won’t make it go away but it’ll disguise it enough that it doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a go. Some YouTube guides I watched recommend gently using different grades of wet/dry paper (soaked over night) to get the paint around the scratch flush. Seems a bit extreme....

I'll give the touch up paint a go. If it looks terrible, at least it won't rust, and when I have some money I could go for a respray or replace the bonnet with a salvaged one.

There doesn't seem much point in spending a lot at the moment anyway - whoever did this might find it equally fun to do it again...

I have used it on my previous A4 window and it was restored to original... if you don’t know it was scratched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk