Changing the S3....but to what?

That's my point the S3 Saloon is a hard act to follow....basically yer ****** just like our @Snake Pliskin who wants/would like to change his RS3.....KEEP SAVING

Lol .... yep my first car ever kept for 3 years & counting :)

Mot & service booked for next week :icon thumright:

Strangely I have no burning desire change ... but as you say there is nothing to change to even if I wanted to.

I will bide my time and wait for something to catch my eye & in the meantime enjoy not paying Audi finance monthly.

Reactions: Jcbmally, DW81, wab172uk and 1 other person
I hate... HATE... the shiny black plastic trim in the new A Class. If it wasn't for that, I would have ordered one and not an A3 instead!

Hey all,

So I will hit the 3 year mark with my S3 in April, I am currently stuck on what to change to.

Looking at similar cars, the BMW M140i is out as I don’t like the look of it. Jumping up to an RS3 or M2 is not an option as they are beyond what I am willing to spend.

I am test driving the new A35 AMG tomorrow, so it may be an option if I like it. Any other suggestions on what else could be a consideration? Had even thought of a new S3 but I feel I won’t get that new car feeling going to the same car and the interior is now starting to show its age when you look at something like the AMG.

Are you in a PCP deal where you have to change? If not, hold onto your S3.

For me, there is nothing that ticks all the boxes I want. My requirements are, 300bhp+, AWD, and a manual gearbox. Number of cars what provide all 3 are Zero. Absolute zero.

Merc. Auto only
Audi. S & RS. Auto only
BMW. If you want a decent engine with AWD. Auto only.

And all 3 are, (in performance AMG, RS, M trim) stupidly expensive where it means stumping up £50k+ large on one, or spunking stupid amounts of monthlies at one to then walk away with nothing after 2/3 years.

My hopes for a proper drivers car, now rely on Ford. The next Focus RS. 400bhp, AWD, and a manual gearbox. If they make it to that specification, I'll get one and make it a keeper, as I think the way the industry is going, it could well be the last decent drivers car with a manual box. If it's an auto then I'll not bother. Fiesta ST instead.

Reactions: KenL, rvtb101, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Are you in a PCP deal where you have to change? If not, hold onto your S3.

For me, there is nothing that ticks all the boxes I want. My requirements are, 300bhp+, AWD, and a manual gearbox. Number of cars what provide all 3 are Zero. Absolute zero.

Merc. Auto only
Audi. S & RS. Auto only
BMW. If you want a decent engine with AWD. Auto only.

And all 3 are, (in performance AMG, RS, M trim) stupidly expensive where it means stumping up £50k+ large on one, or spunking stupid amounts of monthlies at one to then walk away with nothing after 2/3 years.

My hopes for a proper drivers car, now rely on Ford. The next Focus RS. 400bhp, AWD, and a manual gearbox. If they make it to that specification, I'll get one and make it a keeper, as I think the way the industry is going, it could well be the last decent drivers car with a manual box. If it's an auto then I'll not bother. Fiesta ST instead.

I didn't realize the new S's didn't come in a manual anymore overseas. I was always a manual guy myself but being in the states I had no choice.
The S-Tronic is pleasant though not the typical slushbox feel and it's really in sync with the engine to keep you in the power band.
Overall I don't regret my decision to go with an Auto this time. Haven't looked at the new TT but my old one was fun in manual.

Well I drove the AMG this morning.......and it was great. Felt a lot quicker than the S3 even though it’s only 10bhp more, also sounds great in sport mode but quiet and relaxed to drive in comfort mode.

The dealer also has a stock car with pretty much every option on it which I can get a deal I am happy, so looks like the S3 will be going back to Audi in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
new Q3 is lovely and there is an RS version in the works as we speak!

Remember that the outgoing one was £50K plus and that was in 2016.

There's also a new S3, new Golf R (and presumably a new Leon Cupra), new A45 and a new 135i X-Drive all on the way , probably 6-18 months.

Reactions: Mark_86
Another thing to consider (how much you care idk)is insurance groupings, I always check beforehand as being younger the swings can be wild.
Don't know whether it matters much for yourself but could be worth considering. I know "M" cars are very high.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well I drove the AMG this morning.......and it was great. Felt a lot quicker than the S3 even though it’s only 10bhp more, also sounds great in sport mode but quiet and relaxed to drive in comfort mode.

The dealer also has a stock car with pretty much every option on it which I can get a deal I am happy, so looks like the S3 will be going back to Audi in a couple of weeks.

What do you think of how it drives compared to the S3? What's the steering and throttle response like?

What do you think of how it drives compared to the S3? What's the steering and throttle response like?

Honestly the throttle response it better on the AMG, turn in and handling is better. There is definitely bigger difference in the driving modes, sport and sport plus mode in the AMG make it feel like a different car altogether when compared with comfort mode. There is imo a less dramatic difference in the driving modes in the S3.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Mythos and Snake Pliskin

It looks a great car :icon thumright:

What colour / spec etc.

Hopefully you got a good deal as I believe they are offering hefty discounts at the moment, like all the brands, to shift some cars.

Reactions: NevMan
Honestly the throttle response it better on the AMG, turn in and handling is better. There is definitely bigger difference in the driving modes, sport and sport plus mode in the AMG make it feel like a different car altogether when compared with comfort mode. There is imo a less dramatic difference in the driving modes in the S3.

Sounds pretty good. I do still prefer the S3 when it comes to looks, although the A35 looks good specced out. Pan roof a must just like the S3

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
If your happy then go for it mate. Doesn't matter what we think we are all biased :whistle2::whistle2:Pics ??? you know the drill. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan and Chris4410
Another thing to consider (how much you care idk)is insurance groupings, I always check beforehand as being younger the swings can be wild.
Don't know whether it matters much for yourself but could be worth considering. I know "M" cars are very high.

My insurance company made me laugh. I picked up a beater Pontiac Solstice GXP when I sold my E46 M3 would you believe the insurance was more on the Pontiac? They told me the Pontiac was a sports car haha.

My insurance company made me laugh. I picked up a beater Pontiac Solstice GXP when I sold my E46 M3 would you believe the insurance was more on the Pontiac? They told me the Pontiac was a sports car haha.

Just a quick off topic question, on a scale from not at all to biggest mistake of your life, how much do you regret getting rid of your m3? :friendly wink:

Just a quick off topic question, on a scale from not at all to biggest mistake of your life, how much do you regret getting rid of your m3? :friendly wink:

Yeah it was hard but my commute just changed to 100miles per day and I was living somewhere with no garage.
I sold it bought a house with a garage and then had a commuter and a cheap toy for a while. It was a worthy trade off.
Still up there as one of my favorite cars.

x3-m3-4-jpg.176241

Attachments

• X3&M3 (4).JPG
    X3&M3 (4).JPG
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 1,023
Reactions: NevMan, Adam14 and Lehn

May we ask what a fully loaded A35 is priced at?

I was shocked the other day messing around on the Audi configurator, that a standard S3 Saloon is £39k before options. When I bought mine in 2015, with some decent options, it still came out £1500 less

A fully loaded A35 must be pushing £45-50k?

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
By the way, has anyone else noticed Audi now do an SQ2?

S3 engine in an Q2. The car looks awful, and I'd never buy one. Starting at nearly £37k. Messing around on the configurator gets it to nearly £44k.

S3 engine in an Q2. The car looks awful, and I'd never buy one. Starting at nearly £37k. Messing around on the configurator gets it to nearly £44k.
Yeah was recently announced. As you say S3 engine in a Q2. Not for me personally but I'm sure there's plenty that are keen.

I was shocked the other day messing around on the Audi configurator, that a standard S3 Saloon is £39k before options. When I bought mine in 2015, with some decent options, it still came out £1500 less

If you want a decent spec with 19” rims, leather, pano roof, met paint, the big screen cockpit, adaptive suspension, upgraded speakers etc then yes easily £45k + but they are pumping out some hefty discounts atm so expect easily 10% off

With discount it’s close to the basic price of the S3, however the AMG has pretty much every option available.

They are also going to include servicing for 3 years, that will save me well over £1k over the 3 years.

Reactions: NevMan, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
At this point it seems to be a no brainier to me.

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
At this point it seems to be a no brainier to me.

Agreed ... it’s a great time to buy one while there are excellent discounts & the Dealers are desperate for sales.

What colour you gone for & what is the spec ?

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Agreed ... it’s a great time to buy one while there are excellent discounts & the Dealers are desperate for sales.

What colour you gone for & what is the spec ?

The big spec car is sun yellow, it has the premium plus and aero packs. It also has smart phone interface, the camera pack, top level sat nav which when in cities has actual photos of the streets etc for easier guidance. The entire list of options is hudge and takes up 3 pages. The big things for me are the ambient lighting pack, the burmester sound sound system, the panoramic roof and the adaptive suspension. The aero pack adds the 19s and the more aggressive bodykit which really makes the car stand out.

There is also the option of a silver/white car, can’t remember the merc colour. However it has fewer options and it’s that much cheaper.

Reactions: NevMan, Chris.D, Jcbmally and 2 others
The big spec car is sun yellow, it has the premium plus and aero packs. It also has smart phone interface, the camera pack, top level sat nav which when in cities has actual photos of the streets etc for easier guidance. The entire list of options is hudge and takes up 3 pages. The big things for me are the ambient lighting pack, the burmester sound sound system, the panoramic roof and the adaptive suspension. The aero pack adds the 19s and the more aggressive bodykit which really makes the car stand out.

There is also the option of a silver/white car, can’t remember the merc colour. However it has fewer options and it’s that much cheaper.

Wow that sounds awesome pal :icon thumright:

Reactions: NevMan and Chris4410
The sat nav is brilliant. It uses a front camera to give real time images and overlays the directional arrows on top.

Yeah saw one in Cheshire Oaks Audi the other day, it looked nice as well. I asked what price it was...over £40,000!!! :blink:

So when do you take delivery mate ?

So when do you take delivery mate ?

If I go for it, I would be taking it towards the end of March. This is purely because of the process to VT the car taking about 2 weeks, and I am working away in the second half of March so would be no point picking up before then.

Reactions: Chris.D and Jcbmally
ive been to look at a used RS3 today

I am tempted, do you change or keep the 17 plate S3? Baring in mind the RS3 i looked at was a 16 plate with 16000 miles which is the same as my S3 at the moment. Cant decide !

Help ! haha

Reactions: Jcbmally
Dont laugh

Hyundai i30n
A bloke in work has just got one of those, not seen him to speak about it yet, but I did look at what they go for:

Discount available online is 10.7%

Hyundai i30 N 2.0T GDI N Performance, Manual, Petrol Total RRP £29,495 minus the discount = £26,339 Throw in £1,000 deposit = £25,339 to finance via pcp :

As close as you can adjust the figures
I30

If you want a decent spec with 19” rims, leather, pano roof, met paint, the big screen cockpit, adaptive suspension, upgraded speakers etc then yes easily £45k + but they are pumping out some hefty discounts atm so expect easily 10% off

An A35 with that spec is about £35k on DTD.

I'd have gone for it, but I don't like the interior black plastic, plus I don't want to be paying £450 tax per year for the next five years!

I'd have gone for it, but I don't like the interior black plastic, plus I don't want to be paying £450 tax per year for the next five years!

I must admit the £450 tax per year is a bitter pill to swallow. £40k is far too low to set the threshold.

The Spec on the car I am looking at is £39k on DTD, this is pretty much the same as the dealer is offering plus I am also being given 3 years free servicing which is easily worth over £1k.

The £450 is something I have to live with unless I am going to drive something of <£40k RRP, the cars I am looking at just aren't going to come in under that threshold. I do agree the £40k is way too low for that charge to be applied.

I had a look at a new black edition A5 yesterday and it wasn't even that well spec'd and it was over £40k so would be hit with the £450 tax.

Dont laugh

Hyundai i30n

You know........ I saw my first i30N last week, sat in a car park. It was in Red, and it looked pretty damn good I have to say.

Not seen what the interiors look and feel like, but from an aesthetics point of view, in Red at least, it would be on my short list for a FWD 4 door hatch. Might not be as quick as a Civic Type R, but it looks a damn sight better.

The two things that put me off with the 130N, is that it has lots and lots of setting for steering, traction control, throttle response, suspension settings etc, that to my mind is just annoying and too many choices that you'll never know if you have the car in it's optimal setting.

They'd have been better just to set it up to be a great drive. OK, people demand settings these days, so give it 3 (comfort, normal, sport) instead of the 47 (made up number) different optional configurations.

Buying new, residuals may be an issue too. Might be a great second hand buy after 18-24 months.

Reactions: Jcbmally and TYb
The Spec on the car I am looking at is £39k on DTD, this is pretty much the same as the dealer is offering plus I am also being given 3 years free servicing which is easily worth over £1k.

The £450 is something I have to live with unless I am going to drive something of <£40k RRP, the cars I am looking at just aren't going to come in under that threshold. I do agree the £40k is way too low for that charge to be applied.

I had a look at a new black edition A5 yesterday and it wasn't even that well spec'd and it was over £40k so would be hit with the £450 tax.

You're looking at spending the thick end of £39,000 on a new car. A car you've got a discount on, so it's a £40k+ car. And you're saying £450 a year on tax is too much?

Why not think of the discount you're getting as free tax for 3 years + fuel.

Seen a few post on here over the years where someone has specced an S3 to over £40k, and then complained because they can't afford the £450 a year car tax.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL, NevMan and Adam14
You know........ I saw my first i30N last week, sat in a car park. It was in Red, and it looked pretty damn good I have to say.

Not seen what the interiors look and feel like, but from an aesthetics point of view, in Red at least, it would be on my short list for a FWD 4 door hatch. Might not be as quick as a Civic Type R, but it looks a damn sight better.

The two things that put me off with the 130N, is that it has lots and lots of setting for steering, traction control, throttle response, suspension settings etc, that to my mind is just annoying and too many choices that you'll never know if you have the car in it's optimal setting.

They'd have been better just to set it up to be a great drive. OK, people demand settings these days, so give it 3 (comfort, normal, sport) instead of the 47 (made up number) different optional configurations.

Buying new, residuals may be an issue too. Might be a great second hand buy after 18-24 months.
Maybe used but not new! After discount £438 with £1,000 deposit on a 3 year pcp with a final figure of £12,900! I was only paying £380'ish for my S3 with £1,000 deposit :)