1.8t to 2.0L coil packs - Where from

Bolly

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a suspected bad coil on my 2003 1.8t. I want to use this opportunity to upgrade to the 2.0L packs (potentially the tfsi one), but all the threads I find are old.

Aside from Awesome GTI, who historically been great, but I have not used them in over 15 years I can't find a source that with sell an uprated version. I also can't tell if I need an adapter.

(going in very blind at this stage!)

I assume TPS will do it...and ECP and GSF.

I would rather go OEM or dedicated performance. I don't want to go OE unless I really have to.

Where can I look?

Thanks

Personally only use OE but others have used the ones from Awesome with no reported issues...

For what its worth there is no advantage to TFSi coils over a fresh set of 1.8t ones

<tuffty/>

Tuffy … if you say there is no advantage then I will go with that! There seems to be a difference in opinions.

Right. so good quality OE/OEM it is...

Thanks

I have run TFSI coils for a few years now... initially opening the gap up as per the interwebs 'findings' but had misfires after a while... regapped to the normal 0.7mm and they have been fine ever since...

I am not saying you shouldn't buy TFSi coils... as they work as a 'thing' but don't buy them because you think they are better is all as I am not convinced they are...

Especially if you go for the over priced coil pack jobbers to hold them in place... but of course we don't 'mod' our cars for value for money at the end of the day lol

<tuffty/>

Reactions: hydro s3
I ran Bosch 1.8T coil packs with no issues. I wouldn’t bother with the tfsi ones, plus if you get them from somewhere like awesomegti they’re stupidly overpriced as people think you gain 50000000 bhp from them.

Reactions: Tj 0785
I bought the r8 coils from awesome GTI can't go wrong at 99 quid plus cheap plastic adapters from there too. Had no problems but I was replacing 10 mixed 1.8t coils which would blow every couple of months sometimes two at a time.