No rear wash

mk4gtiturbo

Reaction score
I've noticed that my car does not squirt fluid out of the rear washer. Is this a common fault? Where should I look first? Is it like the old mk4 Golfs and it's on the wiper mechanism itself? I've not noticed any damp patches anywhere!!

My money is on the rear wiper motor leaking internally. Was a common fail on B5 onwards, so good place to start. Strip out tailgate and rule that out. The copper pipe sheers and eventually kills the motor. If that looks okay, then work back. On the B5 it used to run through the top hinge, down the driver's side in the avant (behind the trim) then over to the passenger side footwell. You can access water reservoir by removing wheel arch liner.

The connections are just click together pipes, so not unusual during cold months for water to freeze and pop if drying to use washers.

Reactions: mk4gtiturbo
My S4 and wife’s A1 both stopped the other week. The nozzles were blocked. New ones off eBay and has been fine since

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worth checking the little nozzle, the get caked up, quick test is to pop the nozzle off and then try your washer jet, water should shoot out if this is the problem. You can pick them up on ebay for a few quid.

Did you ever sort this?

Mine stopped working so pulled the cover off of the wiper blade arm and then with pliers removed the insert with the 2 jets in it to clean it. Also took off the internal boot trim and removed the hose clip and hose and held the hose in a bowl. Switched it on and loads of muck came out. Also noticed that the shaft through the middle was on the move a bit so I put a load of Sikoflex all around the area highlighted in red here:

414157790.jpg

Once the Sikoflex had dried I put it all back together and works perfectly again.

As above the little nozzle is the favourite, take the plastic cover off and pop the nozzle off then try it, if it squirts out you know the nozzle is blocked, clean it out with some hot vinegar and some copper wire strands or similar.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk