Needing help with wheel hub.

AUD1_AL_2.0t

Reaction score
Afternoon folks.

Been having a bit of a nightmare after damaging my nearside wheel hub, bearing carrier, steering knuckle or whatever it's referred to while in the process of replacing suspension arms and attempting to remove strut to fit lowrlowe springs.

Does anyone know which other variants if any will fit my 2.0 tfsi or if it has to be a 2.0 tfsi one that I fit.

I've come across a B6 1.8t cabriolet one on ebay and not sure if it will fit correctly or not.

All advice much appreciated as always.

Thanks

I have a feeling B6 and B7 (and maybe B5) are the same, front at least. ECP will most likely have them on the shelf (£68 for SNR brand, dont forget discount code) and www.autodoc.co.uk have SKF for £42 + postage. I'd avoid anything cheap, bearings are worth spending a bit more on to get a decent manufacturer.

Not sure if you're aware, if you get the basic bearing you'll have to get them pressed out/in of the housing. If you get the complete thing you just unbolt the old one off the upright and bolt the new one on.

Reactions: AUD1_AL_2.0t
I have a feeling B6 and B7 (and maybe B5) are the same, front at least. ECP will most likely have them on the shelf (£68 for SNR brand, dont forget discount code) and www.autodoc.co.uk have SKF for £42 + postage. I'd avoid anything cheap, bearings are worth spending a bit more on to get a decent manufacturer.

Not sure if you're aware, if you get the basic bearing you'll have to get them pressed out/in of the housing. If you get the complete thing you just unbolt the old one off the upright and bolt the new one on.

Thanks for the reply LawrenceH, much appreciated, but it's the actual hub or bearing housing/steering knuckle I'm needing. Basically the part that the control arms, wheel bearing and caliper etc bolt onto.
Checked auto doc and ecp. Ecp don't list, and auto doc are only listing an offside for some reason. Checked scrap yards locally too and nothing near by and main stealers want £406 which I don't have at the moment so trying to source a used one that I can fit all my good parts onto.

Ah ok I misread :whistle2:

According to this they're the same for 4/6/8 cyl, fwd/quattro and various years, take a look.

http://www.oemepc.com/audi/part_sin.../407/subcategory/407008/part_id/274518/lang/e
http://www.oemepc.com/tvn_result/search/tvn/8E0407253E
http://www.oemepc.com/tvn_result/search/tvn/8E0407253C (this part was replaced by the one above, but seems to have more years listed)

There's new pattern parts on ebay for £160 ish, various other places list them for £140-150 but no stock. Don't seem to be that many about, but at least if you get a new one you won't have to worry about that ****** pinch bolt.

Last edited:
Excellenty thanks.:icon thumright: I'll have a read at that link when I finish work. Have found another on eBay a B7 2.0tdi which looks fairly fresh so hopefully that will fit.

Oh Pinch bolt you say..... That's the reason i need a new one lol, well maybe more like the fact that I broke the lug trying to get the bolt out. Doh!! The joys

Oh Pinch bolt you say..... That's the reason i need a new one lol, well maybe more like the fact that I broke the lug trying to get the bolt out. Doh!! The joys
I'm doing lower arms on mine tomorrow as they came up as an advisory on the MOT (balljoints), I'm dreading the day I have to do upper arms :sadlike:

I'm doing all of mine upper and lower, and fitting lowering springs. The n/s lower front arm came off ok. And got the rear one loose ok. Yet to tackle the o/s. Wish I had just dropped the whole unit as an assembly though and left the top arms alone as they're actually not that bad, but I had decided I wanted to do everything in the one go. Will drop the both out as a whole assemblies now, use heat and hopefully work the pinch bolt out a bit at a time. Same with the second hand one for n/s if don't buy a new one. Feeling that it could be a gamble though and cost me more in the long run if that doesn't work out. Only time will tell.

Reactions: LawrenceH
That's not a good start chap and it is a real pain when it happens.
Unless the arms etc are in need of replacement the best way is not to touch any of those pinch bolts etc , you can do the spring swap and damper swap without touching any of those problematic areas, done mine 3 times now without issues but used the other method.
Anyway your past that point now so its onwards with the job , hope you get it all sorted chap and it doesn't make too bigger hole in your wallet now.
good luck .

rob

Reactions: Sidrick
That's not a good start chap and it is a real pain when it happens.
Unless the arms etc are in need of replacement the best way is not to touch any of those pinch bolts etc , you can do the spring swap and damper swap without touching any of those problematic areas, done mine 3 times now without issues but used the other method.
Anyway your past that point now so its onwards with the job , hope you get it all sorted chap and it doesn't make too bigger hole in your wallet now.
good luck .

rob

Thanks Rob.

Think I'll definitely leave the top ones on the offside alone, esp as I was only doing them out if preference lol.
Currently have the nearside off as an assembly. Pinch bolt for track rod end was aslo siezed though so had to unscrew that from the inner rack link to get the lot off the car. Have new rod ends sitting so no big deal. Abs sensor bolt broke too, and sensor itself isn't going anywhere either without getting mangled by the looks of it, So will need a new sensor. Haven't priced but shouldn't be too expensive... I hope haha.

Found a tfsi hub assembly on eBay too, and at a reasonable price, top arms are in reasonable condition as well (bonus) and track rod end is off it also, so i don't need to worry about that.

Making a start on the offside now.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and LawrenceH